JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've been short handed at the shop for months and it seems like every guy that shows up fails the UA.
Really? Fill out an AP knowing you will fail the UA??
Now it's on record too.
Unreal

Got some kids from PCC now. Again
One a split tail, can't be 19 or 20.
Of course I get to have em shadow me and put em to work.
Most I deal with, I have no idea how they tied their boots without some help.
Not been impressed with the younger workforce these days either.
I think we are down to two tests, one a UA the other the mirror test. Yanno, hold a mirror up to their face and it if fogs up you're in.

It's cool that the shop recruits from there but damn there are some clueless lazy kids now days.

I think we are down to two tests, one a UA the other the mirror test. Yanno, hold a mirror up to their face and it if fogs up you're in.

It's cool that the shop recruits from there but damn there are some clueless lazy kids now days.
Wow your shop must be a heck of a place to work at. You can fog up a mirror just by breathing at it. So you're saying that if they're breathing, they qualify? Do they need to have a pulse too?? :huh: :s0114:

From the last batch I would say that having a pulse is optional.
We have a high turnover rate.
I don't even bother trying to remember names anymore.

At least the female doesn't wear her pants down low, have a bunch of facial implements or tats all over the place.
Seems willing to learn and keeps busy, time will tell.

Nobody wants to "work" for a living, and everyone smokes weed. Mystery solved!

Standing at a lathe for 8 hours on the swing shift doesn't appeal to the next generation, bro. 19 year old white kids want $45k salaried unskilled jobs in cubicals and casual business attire. Maybe you should upgrade to Mexicans?

I want to know why my employer (a rather well known tech company in Hillsboro) is forced to hire subpar overseas engineer then pay a bunch of money to get them visas and green card applications. When our *starting* pay is 60k (70k with a masters), you figure there'd be more people majoring in engineering in US colleges. Instead college kids major in some useless garbage so they can party for 4 years.

Would like to interview some candidates that can actually speak English for once.

The Hispanics at the shop have been here for generations now.
Most of the time it is an upgrade.

I work for TEC in Portland.
The Mack and Volvo dealership.
All Mack and Volvo tuck shops on the west coast into Nevada are TEC's
I think Thompson(owner) is up to 18 now.
Not a bad place to work, once in the door you can transfer to another store if you want. TEC usually pays to relocate as well.
I'm on the service side, which is a bit more different than standing behind a lathe all day.
You need to have a mechanical aptitude, computer savvy, electronics savvy and the ability to figure out stuff.

I gave up long ago. Had to break the golden rule and hire two friends. The law was laid down though from day one. They don't do drugs, they don't steal from me, they don't lie about their hours, etc.

All that is out there in terms of employees is garbage. You get a pothead or a self important Twittering Twit. Liars, druggies, thieves.

SO happy to restructure back around 2006, scale down, focus on profitability and not amount of sales/revenue. Acknowledged the slow slide the economy was taking into the oblivion and cut overhead. Less stress. More fun. No more losers.

All you have to do is take a look at the programming kids get at their schools and through pop culture- stupidity, laziness, and poor morals are preached as being cool. Just today listening to the radio, all the new songs were about getting drunk and acting like a whore. Let your kids go to public school and watch television and this is what will happen.

parsons_12b
In reply to your PM
The shop is involved with a program for vets.
They go to school, and work at the shop.
Their wages are paid for by the program.
Pretty slick deal, school paid for, tools paid for and the shop is reimbursed for wages until they complete it.

I want to know why my employer (a rather well known tech company in Hillsboro) is forced to hire subpar overseas engineer then pay a bunch of money to get them visas and green card applications. When our *starting* pay is 60k (70k with a masters), you figure there'd be more people majoring in engineering in US colleges. Instead college kids major in some useless garbage so they can party for 4 years.

Would like to interview some candidates that can actually speak English for once.
Oh heck, a lot of kids who grew up in the U.S.A. and went to school in the U.S.A. can't even write in proper English and can't even write a decent resume on their own. Maybe you should remove your blinders next time you interview the foreigners - you'll be surprised they probably speak with more proper grammar than someone who lived in the U.S.A. all his/her life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top