Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The mole who won't die!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shellshocker66, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Southern Oregon Member

I have probably a few moles who are driving me nuts! I've tried traps without any success. Little bastage is digging under my garden plants and eating the roots. He mocks me by digging a new mound next to any trap I set (and yes I glove up before touching the trap).

I have goats and don't want to use poison (plus the garden I would prefer not to use any next to)

flooding is not going to work as they have an extensive tunnel system going.

Would like to hear what others have used to combat the problem?

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I hear shooting non oxygen gasses into the tunnels will kill them

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try stomping down on all of the hills.
    If the mole pushes back up any that were previously tamped down, then that is a main tunnel.
    Set your traps on main tunnels only. I use two traps per main hill. A mole always digs the tunnels at right angles, so as not to push dirt back down the other tunnel.
    I file the trigger rod on the scissor traps to a nice sharp edge so I can set them for a hair trigger release.
    Dig back about 6-10" from the hill, loosen the dirt under the traps jaws and make sure you don't fill up the tunnel with dirt when placing the trap.
    When the mole crawls under the traps release lever bar, it should only be crawling upwards, not trying to dig through any loose dirt.
    Make sure to use a sturdy light proof box or metal bucket with a chuck of concrete or rock over the traps. (keeps the tunnels dark) and small kids safe.
    My neighbor boils his in Hemlock fir needles to erase his scent. It also keeps them rust proof he claims.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I trap them all the time and never worry about my scent. They aren't that smart.

First rake down all the mounds so you know where the fresh ones are.

You need to find deep tunnels and set the traps on hair triggers. Don't set the traps where the mounds are. stick some wire down the runs that meet at a mound (usually there is at least 3) then find a nice big straight run. Don't waste time on bad runs.

Once you've found a straight tunnel, dig a hole and make a firmly packed mound of dirt for your trap trigger to rest on and make sure there is no place on the sides for the mole to work around the trap. I sometimes use rocks on the outside edges of my traps. Moles are lazy and will take the path of least resistance.

Once your trap is in place, cover it with a layer of sod so no light comes in and then, ideally you want some down pressure on the trap so the mole is forced to set the trigger and can't just push under the dirt mound.

Check your trap in 2 days and if you don't have something move it.

If you have a dog make sure you let them play with any moles you catch. My Pit/Lab has caught 5 moles so far this year. I've always encouraged him to play with them from when he was a puppy. He's three now and really has seemed to figure it out.

5. PBinWA

You can also rake down the mounds and then try to figure out what time of day the moles are most active. I've nailed a few with the shotgun while they are pushing dirt up. ;)

6. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Cinch traps. Kills them every time without fail. You just follow the instructions, and the next day you have a dead mole.

827041.jpg

827041.jpg

7. PBinWA

Ironbar - did you buy those cinch traps locally? If so where? I saw them on Amazon.com but they way $13 for shipping which is too steep for me.

8. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

if you can catch the little buggers while the hill is moving a 12 guage works almost every time

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

He might have city moles

10. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

So then 9mm might work better?:monty:

11. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

.22 shorts

12. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  13. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I killed the last one in my yard with a pitch fork..

14. wolfcreed

wolfcreed East County - Gresham Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 for jbett98's recommendation

Over the last five years, we've had 100% kill rate of those brown little devils. We put by two and sometimes three Victor claw style traps in two different holes.

Also, try using Mole Max. It works pretty good and deters them from the yard, we've had fewer return each year since we started using that.

15. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

open up 4-6 holes clear the dirt down into the tunnels. Take 4 paper towels soak them in gasoline till wet. Shove the wet paper towel down the hole as far as you can. Cover hole with a piece of plywood or something to seal it off. Wait 45 min. remove one of the hole covers and using a broom stick lenght stick and a piece of gasoline soaked paper towel. LIGHT OFF ONE OF THE HOLES. You will most likely hear a very loud WOOOOOOSH as all of the oxygen in the tunnel system is sucked out by the fumes igniting. It will literally suck the lungs out of any moles or gophers in the tunnels.

If you have extensive tunnel systems you might have to try it in different locations.

UNBELIEVABLY fun and quite effective.

16. Ironbar

I've seen them at Seven Dees, Al's Garden Center, and Gardeners Choice. Check with your local nursery that sells all sorts of gardening supplies. Places like Coastal Farm stores might have them too.

PBinWA and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Hose to your exhaust pipe, down into the tunnel. 20-30 minutes should be enough.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Ironbar

OR, you could just happen to own the bestest and coolest mole-killing cat in the world- like ME! This was taken just today! Good boy Tommy!!!

(Hint- this is why I don't need mole traps anymore!)

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Grunwald, sheepdip, justpyro and 6 others like this.
  19. Blitzkrieg

Silent death unless they scream

20. Blitzkrieg

Your cat is hip.. ours is worthless