JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what was the problem?

Can't say for sure yet cause I'm (we're) not able to shoot it today, tomorrow morning it'll happen, but things have been eliminated.....

Head space was good. Some misalignment in the block which was corrected and the kicker for him was he put the hammer spring in backwards....:s0114:......Mind you, I HAVE NEVER even touched this gun, let alone seen it until today. This was all done through text....

If it doesn't shoot correctly tomorrow there's only the FA BCG he has in and the buffer/spring....

I originally eliminated the FCG because he swapped lowers and uppers. The upper didn't run correctly on any lower but the lower ran correctly on swapped uppers....When I was fiddle fuking with his and mine this morning, I noticed the hammer seemed weak but didn't give it any thought cause it shot fine with other uppers. I didnt bother to LOOK....Well, if something like this ever happens again I'm definitely gonna pay close attention to the FCG. Had Ryan not have VISIBLY checked, he'd still be getting light strikes.....

Last Edited:
Check that the hammer spring is installed correctly. Seen this more than once. A real "doh!" Face palm moment.

Oops, hadnt read the last post, so the problem was a loose nut?

Last Edited:
Check that the hammer spring is installed correctly. Seen this more than once. A real "doh!" Face palm moment.

Oops, hadnt read the last post, so the problem was a loose nut?

LOL I'm going with a DRUNK nut....he said he'd been drinking when he put this thing together...kinda explains things...

So my buddy finished a build recently and shot it (kinda) the other day. He's having problems and we can't figure it out and need help.

Seems to me he's getting light strikes and when it does shoot it short strokes. Hes determined the problem is in the upper. At first we thought it was the hammer spring but swapped and it shot fine. The only things I can think of is a misaligned gas block or something in the BCG. Gas rings.....What am I gonna look for in a block alignment issue? I'll try to get more info out here as it comes in. We're in text tag mode right now....

L one is from the build....

View attachment 361303
That one on the left is a light strike I had the problem with a cheap drop in trigger change to a better one and had no problems sense

Some misalignment in the block which was corrected and the kicker for him was he put the hammer spring in backwards....:s0114:......Mind you, I HAVE NEVER even touched this gun, let alone seen it until today. This was all done through text....
So, the bogus hammer spring install was probably the light strike issue (if persists, could still be firing pin length)
Gas block misalignment was also most likely causing the short-stroking.
Two of the most common AR build mistakes and easy fixes.

Use some full power 5.56 Lake City for the break-in and I'll bet it will run.
And give it a blast of CLP.

Oh, and have the budding Master Builder study this...
AR-15-Fire-Control-Group.gif

:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads