JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And those would both be NEGLIGENT discharges.....not accidental.....

I have posted this before. In my former careers I went through extensive safety training and accident investigation and was a certified on the job accident investigator by OSHA.

Pretty extensive and ongoing training that involved multiple scenarios. It was stressed that
" accidents" were really incidents. All on the job and most other accidents or incidents have to have at least 2 pecursor events to happen. Human presence is one of those events. A violation of rules or improper procedure of some other kind is the second event. At this point the stage is set for the incident to occur. The next improper input event / action will cause the incident to happen. The only thing to be determined is what the result of the event will be.

Removal of one of those presursor events or procedures stops the incident / accident from happening.

Two people present, deviation from procedure in drawing loaded weapons outside of normal training parameters are the first two events. The next thing that happens could have very different results, but something bad was going to happen. Horrible.

As a plain clothes guy myself, we don't always have a vest on sitting around in the office. BUT, we dont screw around with guns in the office either.

Ever heard the phrase train as you fight ?
Not smashing on you guy's but complacency is the #1 killer if you carry a gun for a living.

You put on your gun every day you should do the same with your armor.
It's the least you can do for yourself, your family and those you are trying to help.
Because stupid things happen.

We don't go to a shoot for fun without a trauma bag, Dr. Carr, an ambulance and a helo pad with life flight on standby.

It never fails that the old saying rears it's ugly head.

Complacency kills.

And unfortunately it usually kills someone innocent.

I can't imagine having to live with something like that. I don't think you could. Knowing that man's family is hurting and will never see their loved one again.
If the family can find it in their hearts to forgive him then maybe, eventually, he can forgive himself.

Ever heard the phrase train as you fight ?
Not smashing on you guy's but complacency is the #1 killer if you carry a gun for a living.

It's the least you can do for yourself, your family and those you are trying to help.
Because stupid things happen.

We don't go to a shoot for fun without a trauma bag, Dr. Carr, an ambulance and a helo pad with life flight on standby.

We wear body armor during all training and when out and about. We also have safety plans and the assigned ER of the day knows when we are training or conducting operations. We wear outer carriers that are easy to get in and out of.

In my office, I take it off unless I'm the duty officer and have to deal with the random people that come in. I dont find it necessary to wear my armor while writing reports, going to the bathroom, eating lunch in the office, etc.

Complacency is a killer if you carry a gun at all, regardless if it is for a living or just for protection like the majority of us on here do every day.

LEO's contact more shi*bags in their day than the majority of us do. In the office which is reasonably considered a secure area with no immediate threats, you should really not have a reason to wear a field protection piece. Granted if you have to go contact the public then it is a good idea. If everyone is following proper protocols regarding firearms in the office then there should be minimal threat to safety.

I have been in a police station when there was a shooting call close to the station. There was a lot of people going to that call from the station, and all were putting vests on and drawing long guns from the armory.

It all depends on the people in the situation. In my circle, most of the shooting and gun handling tactical work is done with military combat veterans and people they have trained. On tactical drills or demonstrations we use training guns. They are cheap to buy on ebay.

Yanking around with a loaded gun in a training situation would get you a " WTF are you doing ?"

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top