JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Status
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
Let me ask you something..I'll try a different angle here.

If your wife gets pissed off at you for some reason, and is at work or out and about, and decides to unload on you in a text message. Do you feel a need to have the last word, to 'make your point'?

I don't. I let it go, don't respond. Wait for things to cool, and talk in person.

I think that point has been brought up with you before. It seems you always need to 'be right' and make your point.

Trying to help here..
When you have alternatives to text for communication it is a 100% different situation. The "last word" will be had in person when things can be clarified. That is not an option for an online community, but even in person this principle applies; it is bad form to expect to fire off a verbal salvo and not expect any kind of response but silence. If emotions are high by one or both parties the proper course of action is to both shut up and back off, but that is often easier to judge in person, as "emotion" is not a integral part of text based communication. I cannot always tell when people are running hot in a contentious discussion, so it is on them to decide when to walk away and cool off, not on me. All I do is respond to addressable point in a post, sometimes when I see it, sometimes hours or days later as I have time.

Even here in this discussion, which I feel strongly about because I do feel that it is holding back the site and causing issues for people who are not integrated enough with the community to see it as something worth fixing, I do not get emotionally invested in the needling and cheerleading for failure that is present on nearly every page. If there is not an addressable point I either just throw a reaction on it or ignore it completely, if there is an addressable point I address it in a reply and leave it at that, unless the conversation continues with more addressable points.

Basically, I feel like there should be more room here for cliques and factions and people with dissenting views, but the way the site operates there really isn't. The community has been given enough tools to become self policing without moderators intervention to such an extent that people who do not fit in will be strongly encouraged to leave before they get any sense of belonging or investment. Just annoy a few of the thinner skinned prolific members, get frustrated with trying to follow some of the mega-threads those same members regularly post in and decide it is not worth your time and leave.

I still think it would be a good idea to toss people from the site once they get on a certain number of Ignore lists, say 30 or 35. If you've pissed off that many people you probably aren't a positive influence here.
Wouldn't work for me. Some of the characters whom I occasionally view as obnoxious are often seriously funny. Humor is tricky. Especially without the context of body language and facial expressions. I mentally give a Get Outta Jail Free card to anyone who has ever made me laugh, and a whole pile of them to anyone who makes me laugh regularly. But such people probably get on lots of ignore lists.

It's pretty good for a small site, but I am the only active member out of almost a dozen people I know IRL who have accounts, and am the only paying member in that group. Of the people I have asked (when it comes up in normal conversation) they cite issues with the community here. Paraphrasing, they do not like how clickish and easily segregated it can become. At least some of that comes down to how the block feature works, because people who are using the block feature can isolate other people from the entire conversation, not just themselves. If you manage to get blocked by one or two of the more active members that means a whole lot of the popular threads become almost unreadable, and that can kill any sense of belonging or motivation to stick around and interact with the other people who may actually like your posts.
Why are you here then if it's so cliquish? You like farce book? It's giant! Maybe it's better for you? 21 pages, and the consensus seems to be, the great majority like it here. Like it the way it is, for the most part. :s0092:

Last Edited:
I want to know who changed their vote, unacceptable chaps, unacceptable.
200.gif

Wouldn't work for me. Some of the characters whom I occasionally view as obnoxious are often seriously funny. Humor is tricky. Especially without the context of body language and facial expressions. I mentally give a Get Outta Jail Free card to anyone who has ever made me laugh, and a whole pile of them to anyone who makes me laugh regularly. But such people probably get on lots of ignore lists.
And just how many forums are out there where you can't say POOP or disagree with someone, or crack a joke bordering on tasteless without getting moderated and/or canceled for a period of time? Or outright banned if you challenge a moderator with a God Complex?
I want to know who changed their vote, unacceptable chaps, unacceptable.
View attachment 1884836
I didn't know we were voting? No one told me? Were do we vote? I want to vote! :s0118:

And just how many forums are out there where you can't say POOP or disagree with someone, or crack a joke bordering on tasteless without getting moderated and/or canceled for a period of time? Or outright banned if you challenge a moderator with a God Complex?

I didn't know we were voting? No one told me? Were do we vote? I want to vote! :s0118:
We were just -10, and now we've had two deserters bring us to -8.

Straw man is a straw man. I am not talking about moderation, or a fairly universal response by the entire community against bad behavior. I am talking about simple disagreements between a handful of users and how the ignore feature can turn that into a site-wide problem for someone who is trying to establish themselves and participate in the many conversations here. That can be (as as I stated before has been verified to be) a big enough issue to just not come back. And that is a lost active member, and potentially a lost future subscription. All because er give members the opportunity to edit other members feeds to at least some extent.

Top right of the OP, which is present at the top of every page in this thread.

Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.
I strongly agree with @lucusloc . As a plant breeder I spend much of my in-person interaction time dealing with very strongly liberal types. NWFA has a strong conservative bias. I think by interacting in both groups I get a far better reflection of reality than I would interacting with just one or the other. In addition, there is a lot I'm interested in or have experienced that most of the liberal group are not , have not, and wouldn't relate to. Really fine revolvers and how to get the most out of them. (Most of my farmer friends have shotguns for pest control but are not especially into guns, especially not revolvers.) I've had to point a gun at someone and be ready to kill them if they took one step more or reached for a weapon. Easy to talk about such things here, where there are plenty of vets, current and retired LE, and even many civilians who have been there and get it. I don't ban anyone. Doing so would mess up NWFA's value to me as a reality check. And so does allowing other people's banning me to restrict the content I see.

-2 votes for getting cocky.

A yard. HA!
An inch stick then? I feel like if I get too much more elaborate with that I will wind up quoted in that other thread. I feel like I should be represented there with at least a foot stick, I am not sure my ego could handle less.

Pretty cool that a simple question, that was also simply answered by two members in the following two posts would lead to three more pages... :s0023: :s0111:.

For the record, I personally couldn't care less if someone blocks/ignores me. They're loss...

I choose not to use that function at all as more often than not it would mean I would miss out on some good entertainment.

Pretty cool that a simple question, that was also simply answered by two members in the following two posts would lead to three more pages... :s0023: :s0111:.

For the record, I personally couldn't care less if someone blocks/ignores me. They're loss...

I choose not to use that function at all as more often than not it would mean I would miss out on some good entertainment.
Yeah, but if they block you you are going to miss out whether you want to or not or even whether you care or not.

Right! I really appreciate the mods here. I get in an occasional kerfluffle with someone, and the mods usually stand by quietly and give us a chance to sort it out ourselves. After we do so and are interacting with each other happily again a mod might step in and give a cheerful wave so to speak. And thank goodness for moderator restraint when it comes to humor.

An inch stick then? I feel like if I get too much more elaborate with that I will wind up quoted in that other thread. I feel like I should be represented there with at least a foot stick, I am not sure my ego could handle less.
If you require a visual; my 0-1" outside micrometer could measure it without having to move the spindle a full rotation.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads