JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I went to Freddy's to buy a gun. Found what I wanted, handled it and said "I'll take it"."

And then wanted your wife to fill out the paperwork because (and you TOLD THEM this)
"I didn't want the gun under my name"???

You are lucky you were not arrested on the way out of the store for attempting a straw
purchase.

That's not a small thing. It's Federal, and it's severe.

"What is a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is an illegal firearm purchase where the actual buyer of the gun, being unable to pass the required federal background check or desiring to not have his or her name associated with the transaction, uses a proxy buyer who can pass the required background check to purchase the firearm for him/her. It is highly illegal and punishable by a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison."

Like I said, I showed my cwp and he didn't even bother looking at it. That tells me he just wanted to be a douche. And whats wrong with not wanting the gun be under my name? I would have loved to buy private if used guns were price used.

Are you even a gun enthusiast? 695 posts ZERO feedback. I bet your the guy that buys all the ammo and reloading compontents and resell them for a profit. Poof begone troll.

A troll? Seriously, is that it? Please....
Do you know how enthusiast is defined? " A person who enjoys something very much"......Firearms are not my hobby, they mean a lot more to me than that.

Are you even a gun enthusiast? 695 posts ZERO feedback. I bet your the guy that buys all the ammo and reloading compontents and resell them for a profit. Poof begone troll.

Dude...you have 649 post and only (1) feedback score...LOL
Sometimes one just needs to step away from the keyboard and give the wife a foot massage or something :)

Ok now I'm glad I deleted my first post in this thread as it has gone exactly the way I thought it would. People would call the OP out for what sure looked, like smelled like, and sounded like an attempted straw purchase and the OP would try to justify it.

Like I said, I showed my cwp and he didn't even bother looking at it. That tells me he just wanted to be a douche. And whats wrong with not wanting the gun be under my name? I would have loved to buy private if used guns were price used.

The fact that you are legally able to purchase a weapon does not make you eligible to straw purchase a weapon. Understand that you were attempting to commit a felony as was your wife. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then I suspect you will likely find yourself in prison one day and will be claiming innocence. You were in the wrong. If you do anything, it should be to thank the clerk at Fred's as that clerk kept you from committing a felony and loosing your legal ability to own weapons.

On a side note, they treat the guns like crap. All the times I bought a gun from them, I would have to inspect them for scratches/damages. The gun I bought they had 3. 1 have scratches, the other has a ruined sight, like they dropped it or something, and the one I bought has light scratches.

The last gun i bought from them, the guy literally tried to cover up a scratch that he made when he was putting it back into the display case.

I've seen used guns in better condition...

Not to push buttons or anything, (well maybe a little:s0084:)but why do you continue to purchase damaged guns from the same seller?

One more that him.:D

I'll make this basic,

Next time you and your girl go out to a bar, get super drunk and belligerent. When the bartender cuts you off, hand some cash to your girl to buy you another drink and angrily throw your drivers license down on the table proving to the bartender that you're actually over 21 and legally able to buy alcohol.....then see what happens next.

People on this board have been actively attempting to help you understand why you were in the wrong and you've let your ego get in the way.... I suggest you heed their advice.

You know I usually dont stick around when shes doing the paper work, but when they started chatting I felt like it was towards me. I don't blame them for anything other than jumping the conclusion. If anything the gun we bought wasn't for me, its actually for my son, but I acted like it was for me in my defense.

"Backward ran the sentences until reeled the mind."

The fact that you are legally able to purchase a weapon does not make you eligible to straw purchase a weapon. Understand that you were attempting to commit a felony as was your wife. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then I suspect you will likely find yourself in prison one day and will be claiming innocence. You were in the wrong. If you do anything, it should be to thank the clerk at Fred's as that clerk kept you from committing a felony and loosing your legal ability to own weapons.

I'm not entirely sure in this case it is a Felony the OP is admitting to. It's possible he is, but the state law and the ATF state that an ineligible person makes it a Felony, and infers that buying for someone who doesn't want their name...Well I'll let you read it for yourself, I'd love to read more but that's all my search engine and ADHD would produce for now.

Don't Lie For the Other Guy: A national campaign to prevent the illegal purchase of firearms | Dontlie.org
Straw Purchasing

Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase."

An illegal firearm purchase (straw purchase) is a federal crime.
An illegal firearm purchase can bring a felony conviction sentence of ten years in jail and a fine of up to $250,000.
Buying a gun for someone who can't can cost you your good name and land you in big trouble.

Never buy a gun for someone who is unwilling or unable to do so.

Whatever you do, Don't Lie for the Other Guy!

RCW 9.41.080: Delivery to ineligible persons.

No person may deliver a firearm to any person whom he or she has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm. Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony, punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

It's only a "straw purchase" if the person you are buying it for is not able to legally buy the gun for themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't have told them "She's buying it for me". That would have avoided the problem with them. Showing your CHL doesn't prove much, as you could have become "illegal" since it was issued and they won't know that if they don't do the background check on you. They were obviously unsure and were just covering their butts.

I bought a gun for my mom several years ago. I told the man I bought it for that I was going to gift it to my 72 year old mother. There's nothing illegal about that and he thought it was pretty cool that I was doing so.

I wouldn't have bought a new gun that's in used condition, either, but that's your choice.

I'm not entirely sure in this case it is a Felony the OP is admitting to.

Eddie, the first question asked on Form 4473 is:

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you."

When the wife answers yes to this question so that she can purchase the weapon either for her husband or child, she has committed a felony. If she is purchasing the firearm for her husband and he receives it, then he is also committing a felony as he's now taking possession of an illegally purchased/owned weapon.

If the wife answers no then she will be denied the purchase. If husband now fills out the form to purchase the weapon for his son, he has done the same thing. Felony again.

This is how is was supposed to go down... I broke my sons gun and decided to replace it with another one. Went to freddys with the wife because she wanted to look for a gift for her niece for christmas so I figured I'd take a look at what they had. Found one, handled it, and said I'll take it. I usually go to the magazine area while I'm waiting for the wifey, so when he asked for my license I pointed to my wife.

Im not typing everything go to first page to read the rest.

This is how is was supposed to go down... I broke my sons gun and decided to replace it with another one. Went to freddys with the wife because she wanted to look for a gift for her niece for christmas so I figured I'd take a look at what they had. Found one, handled it, and said I'll take it.

IheartGUNS, sounds like your motives were good, I'm glad of that. It also sounds like you were doing well by replacing the firearm that you broke. Pretty cool. However, the law doesn't provide allowance for good intentions, nor does the ATF care about good intentions. It's good that it didn't turn out bad for you and your family. It would be fine to give your son the $ and take him to the store to make the purchase. If he's too young, then it's ok for you to buy the weapon or your wife could buy the weapon and allow your son to shoot it until it's decided to gift it to him at some future date.

I hate that the laws are so complex but they are what they are.

This is how is was supposed to go down... I broke my sons gun and decided to replace it with another one. Went to freddys with the wife because she wanted to look for a gift for her niece for christmas so I figured I'd take a look at what they had. Found one, handled it, and said I'll take it. I usually go to the magazine area while I'm waiting for the wifey, so when he asked for my license I pointed to my wife.

Im not typing everything go to first page to read the rest.

I'm starting to wonder if you're just trying to flush out the ATF agents who are forum members! :s0087:

So if you said "you'd take it", why wouldn't / didn't you do the five minutes worth of paperwork anyways?
Also what kind of gun did you break so badly it was not worth repair? Things just don't add up here.

So whats the difference if I bought it, or my wife bought it for our son? I shouldn't have took it personal when the salesman turned her down for the bgc because he thought she was buying it for me, thats my bad. And what if it was for me as a gift, would I have to tell him that too? Also, whats wrong with inspecting the gun for scratches/damages before buying it? I failed to say it was for our son, but I didn't think that I had to mention that...

I think it is irrelevant as to whether it was for your son or not. Think of it from the salesman's point of view. From what you've said, you were looking at the firearm. When you said you would take it and then brought your wife in to do the paperwork, you don't think that sounds the least bit suspicious? Being as I was not there and am going off your side of the story, I will refrain from any judgment on who is "right" or "wrong" but it sounds like to me, the easiest way to resolve the issue was to either just fill the paperwork out yourself being as you were the one who stated you would like to purchase the firearm and as you've stated are legal to purchase the firearm or humor the salesman and have your wife pick the firearm up for a few seconds and say she likes it and at that point would have been more comfortable with selling her the firearm you stated you would like to purchase. It's the world we live in, everyone has to cover their own butt. Good luck to you and hope your son enjoys the new firearm, even if you have to find it somewhere else.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top