JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it is irrelevant as to whether it was for your son or not. Think of it from the salesman's point of view. From what you've said, you were looking at the firearm. When you said you would take it and then brought your wife in to do the paperwork, you don't think that sounds the least bit suspicious? Being as I was not there and am going off your side of the story, I will refrain from any judgment on who is "right" or "wrong" but it sounds like to me, the easiest way to resolve the issue was to either just fill the paperwork out yourself being as you were the one who stated you would like to purchase the firearm and as you've stated are legal to purchase the firearm or humor the salesman and have your wife pick the firearm up for a few seconds and say she likes it and at that point would have been more comfortable with selling her the firearm you stated you would like to purchase. It's the world we live in, everyone has to cover their own butt. Good luck to you and hope your son enjoys the new firearm, even if you have to find it somewhere else.

When I really think of it, yeah I guess it looks wrong, but what we were doing wasn't illegal so I didn't think much of it.

So whats the difference if I bought it, or my wife bought it for our son? I shouldn't have took it personal when the salesman turned her down for the bgc because he thought she was buying it for me, thats my bad. And what if it was for me as a gift, would I have to tell him that too? Also, whats wrong with inspecting the gun for scratches/damages before buying it? I failed to say it was for our son, but I didn't think that I had to mention that...
Why not just answer the questions. And what you were trying to do was not legal. Read all the way to question one on form.

Why not just answer the questions. And what you were trying to do was not legal. Read all the way to question one on form.

What was I trying to do? I wasn't trying to do anything but replace something I broke. Yeah I inspected the gun to make sure we wasn't buying something damaged as returns are not accepted so what. Why are you so hard up on thinking I was doing something illegal?

What was I trying to do? I wasn't trying to do anything but replace something I broke. Yeah I inspected the gun to make sure we wasn't buying something damaged as returns are not accepted so what. Why are you so hard up on thinking I was doing something illegal?

Do you know how to answer questions? I believe that is the real problem here. (Obviously with the inability to get past question number one on said form) You have only came back with more questions.
Answers should end in periods. . . . . . .

Do you know how to answer questions? I believe that is the real problem here. (Obviously with the inability to get past question number one on said form) You have only came back with more questions.
Answers should end in periods. . . . . . .

Okay, looking at first question "Are you actual transference/buyer of the firearm listed on this form?
So if I was filling out this form it would be a no? Because my son is 13 and he is not of age to buy a gun. Again what's the difference if I or my wife filled out this form? Either way it'd be no right? I thought this was okay to do no?

Why do you keep going back to buy guns from them if they mistreat them and they have damage? I have to agree like most on here that you caused your own problem.

Have good day Gents

You picked out the gun. You examined the gun. YOU said "I'll take it"

THEN

You--the person who appeared to be the buyer---(I'll take it)---passed it off to your wife to
do the paperwork and background check because (your words) you "Didn't want the gun under
your name"

Right there you attempted to commit a straw purchase. Go up and read the bold print part of post #19.
That is what you did.

Doesn't matter if you agree with it. Doesn't matter if you "slapped your cwp on the counter". Doesn't
matter if you are black, white, brown or purple with pink polka dots. Doesn't matter if you were dressed
in jeans or a three piece suit. Doesn't matter that you have been trying to justify your actions for three
pages. Doesn't matter if you had done it many times before.

Freddies was right. You were wrong. We all make mistakes---learn from it, man up and move on.

Okay, looking at first question "Are you actual transference/buyer of the firearm listed on this form?
So if I was filling out this form it would be a no? Because my son is 13 and he is not of age to buy a gun. Again what's the difference if I or my wife filled out this form? Either way it'd be no right? I thought this was okay to do no?

Spend a better part of a second thinking about what you wrote here..... Do you understand why it was an attempted "straw purchase" yet? Matter of fact you and your "girl" could have both been charged for two separate violations.

X1). You committing to purchase then handing off paperwork for another to complete.
X2). Her buying it with intentions of giving it to someone not legal to have gun, "He is Not of age"= NOT FRICKIN LEGAL TO BUY FIREARMS! (or Drink or drive or smoke or.....)

Good god I hope this clears things up, I think Fred Meyer did a great service on this account.

This was scary but entertaining at the same time when I was on the clock now it's fun like chewing on broken glass.

about 5 mins later, the salesman comes back and says that my girl can't buy the gun for me, because its illegal, if I want the gun, I need to do the bgc. I said "it's not illegal, did they pass a new law that someone can buy a gun for someone"?

it's not a new law. it's ALWAYS been the law.

read question 11a of ATF form 4473.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?
Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s)to you."

freddie's was right, and you are wrong.

and if you really have done this multiple times in the past as you claim, then you and your girl have committed multiple felonies and are technically now ineligible to posess firearms. the only way you could have done it in the past is if your girl had falsified question 11a on the 4473. not really very smart.

This thread is too funny. So I don't have birthdays? Christmas is fake? She can't just buy me a gun for a gift? If its illegal to buy a firearm for a minor, why do they make youth rifles??? I think Freddy's fudged up for assuming. I don't hate them for it. I just won't shop there too often they might accuse me for shop lifting...

You picked out the gun. You examined the gun. YOU said "I'll take it"

THEN

You--the person who appeared to be the buyer---(I'll take it)---passed it off to your wife to
do the paperwork and background check because (your words) you "Didn't want the gun under
your name"

Right there you attempted to commit a straw purchase. Go up and read the bold print part of post #19.
That is what you did.

Doesn't matter if you agree with it. Doesn't matter if you "slapped your cwp on the counter". Doesn't
matter if you are black, white, brown or purple with pink polka dots. Doesn't matter if you were dressed
in jeans or a three piece suit. Doesn't matter that you have been trying to justify your actions for three
pages. Doesn't matter if you had done it many times before.

Freddies was right. You were wrong. We all make mistakes---learn from it, man up and move on.

So lets say my wife wanted a gun and asks me to check it out for her. If I looked, handled the gun, left the counter, came back with my wife and pointed out the firearm and she says "I want that", that would look legit???

there is an ATF field office in seattle if you want to have a chat with them in person. feel free to volunteer the fact your wife falsified multiple 4473's for you.

please respond to this with an answer, not another question. #1 why did you not " want the gun in your name"? #2 are you legal, presenting your cwp does not prove anything, to purchase a firearm? you stated at first in this thread, it was for you and changed the story to state it was for your, now, 13 Year old son? maybe a call to the ATF office would be a great idea for understanding the process, since all of these fine people that responded here trying to educate you and you will not acknowledge that.

This thread is too funny. So I don't have birthdays? Christmas is fake? She can't just buy me a gun for a gift? If its illegal to buy a firearm for a minor, why do they make youth rifles??? I think Freddy's fudged up for assuming. I don't hate them for it. I just won't shop there too often they might accuse me for shop lifting...

You just are not getting it. Sure you can buy a gun for a gift. Buy one and give it to your underage son.

BUT---what you did was say "I'll take it", then hand the paperwork off to someone else because you " didn't want your name
on the gun". Straw Purchase. Read the rules. You screwed up. Freddy's made the right call. Period. Damn you are dense.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top