JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After reading this thread, I went to my local Freddys and made a gun purchase:peace:

I was in sweat pants, a hoodie, didn't shave, and hadn't showered yet.. Looked at said gun, fondled it, and said "i'll take it"
The clerks were both 20ish (one male, one female)

When I got to line 11a on the 4473 " Are you the actual buyer of the firearm listed on this form? IF you are not the actual buyer, the dealer CANNOT sell the firearm to you.

It made me chuckle..:s0114:

Apparently the OP fails to comprehend the basic laws with Firearm ownership/transfer from a dealer.:s0025: It seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Time in store including calling in for Background check.... 12 min.. I Love Freddys!!

ATF rules consider there to be a difference between buying a gun for someone else (straw purchaser) and buying a gun for yourself and at a later date deciding that you wish to gift it to someone.

The clerk at Fred's was obeying the law when he refused to sell to a professing straw buyer.
It WASN'T a straw purchase, she was giving the gun as a present, that is perfectly legal under the present laws.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

It WASN'T a straw purchase, she was giving the gun as a present, that is perfectly legal under the present laws.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

But, through their actions, they made it appear like it was a "Straw Purchase". Just go back in a few days and do it the right way! Done!

They followed the rules they have set in front of them. Buying a firearm for the express purpose of giving it to somebody else is, from my understanding, a no-no. Don't blame the people making $10 for following the rules. You should have walked away while your wife bought it, or not said anything, or just bought the thing yourself, and done it all legitimately. I wouldn't get too steamed at people for pointing this all out to you.

Nope, perfectly legal. It IS illegal if the other person gives you the money and asks you to to buy it for them. Buying a gun with your own money with the intent of giving it to someone else is not illegal.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

is it my understanding that he bought it, provided monies and she did the paperwork? WHY? that was the first red flag for Fred Meyer. second was the admission of buying for someone else.

I think it's time to stick a fork in this one, it's done. If everybody keeps going we're going to have to start calling this website "ISHOOT.net" instead of Northwest Fire Arms.com.

It most certainly was....intended recipient is not legal to purchase a gun.
Oregon: State Firearms Laws
ORS 166.470 - Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

I agree no reply will get through to the OP, That seems to be a lost cause but thread could be of value to any semi intelligent person thinking about handing off paperwork right in front of dealer or openly planning on furnishing a minor with a gun.

As a dealer all I need is the SUSPICION of a straw purchase and I won't sell someone a firearm. Regardless of race, religion, orientation or sex. Anyone who claims any of those reasons as why I do not sell them a gun (after telling me they want to buy a gun but wants someone else to fill out the paperwork so their name isn't associated with the gun) will be politely asked to leave and never return. Any one person's possible sketchy business isn't worth my license and livelihood and that's all I have to say about that.

Or maybe I should've shaved that day and wear a suit instead of jeans and a t-shirt. Or maybe because I wasn't white
Please don't use the race card or assume they didn't like how you looked if you have no evidence. They are not REQUIRED to sell you a firearm. You acted in a manner that appeared suspicious to them and they acted in an appropriate manner. Get over it and take your business elsewhere if you do not like the way you were treated.

I have been in gun stores and car dealerships where they thought I was a complete idiot because I was female and couldn't possibly make a purchase without my husband, even though I was purchasing for myself. I simply left, spent a lot of money elsewhere and didn't make a big issue of it nor take it personal. Go where you think you will be better treated.
BTW I have purchased a rifle at Freddies and have no complaints about their products and service.

I'm gonna be the lazy guy that comes into the discussion already 4 pages in progress without having read the whole thing... if what I'm saying has already been addressed, please feel free to tell me to STFU.

What you're describing is the definition of a straw purchase... secondly, it's not illegal to buy a gun for someone as a gift, but you picking out the gun, the other person paying for it, and you taking possession of it looks like an ATF set up to any FFL.

I used to do this with my parents when I was a kid.. sometimes we got questioned about it, but we always had a totally legal, legit answer- "this is my kid, I'm buying it for him." Never had a refusal. However, if I'd been 30 something, full beard, and came in like I was the guy really buying the gun, the other person was just the one trying to bypass me having to get a background check- that would look totally redunculous. It would seem very likely to either be an ATF setup, or the actual thing the ATF is trying to prevent by making that situation illegal.

I really think you'd have to be kind of dense to think this would be cool on any level

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top