JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to Freddy's to buy a gun. Found what I wanted, handled it and said "I'll take it". The sales guy asked for my license, and I pointed to my girl so she could do the paper work. He then starts calling the manager and starts talking softly to another worker, the manager comes and they start to talk amongst themselfs. The guy who was helping me just leaves and we start to deal with the manager. So my girl stars filing out the paper work, about 5 mins later, the salesman comes back and says that my girl can't buy the gun for me, because its illegal, if I want the gun, I need to do the bgc. I said "it's not illegal, did they pass a new law that someone can buy a gun for someone"? Sales guy starts looking through his papers and starts reading me some BS. I then asked "why do I look suspicious or something"? He made me feel like I was a criminal, I was very uncomfortable, it was kind of busy too so I was feeling embarrassed. I then slapped my cwp on the counter and said I'm legal. He still refused, and I said "we did this multiple times with no problems". He then says " we dont want to be responsible for selling to illegal person. I then said "she's gifting the gun to me." He started to apologize and said "oh I didn't know that." He didn't look like he was sorry either, how do you apologize with you back facing the person as you are walking away? Very unprofessional. But then again, that a55hat looked like he was fresh out of high school.

Maybe I shouldn't have mention that I didn't want the gun under my name... Freddy's is now on my sh1t list...

On a side note, they treat the guns like crap. All the times I bought a gun from them, I would have to inspect them for scratches/damages. The gun I bought they had 3. 1 have scratches, the other has a ruined sight, like they dropped it or something, and the one I bought has light scratches.

The last gun i bought from them, the guy literally tried to cover up a scratch that he made when he was putting it back into the display case.

I've seen used guns in better condition...

I really doubt that you'll get compassionate replies to this. The situation you are describing actually has a name & that is "Straw Purchase". You might find some gun dealers who are hard-up enough to put up with your "system" over at your local gun show, but no self-respecting business will allow you to get them closed down just to sell "your girl" one gun. Perhaps you & your girl would have better luck with a large "multiple purchase"? Or maybe next time you are in front of a form 4473 you might try reading the first question.
Sorry if my reply is not compassionate enough, but I got real tired of this type antic during the 6 years I had my ffl.

I don't expect nothing from this post. This is just a rant. Wait until you get treated like a criminal and come back and tell me how you feel.

Don't act like a straw purchaser and you won't be treated like one. I can think of several ways this could have been handled in a positive way by using big people words :)

Don't act like a straw purchaser and you won't be treated like one. I can think of several ways this could have been handled in a positive way by using big people words :)

My girl = wife
a55hat = a55whole
sh1t = poop
suspicious = felon
freddy's = fred meyer

Or maybe I should've shaved that day and wear a suit instead of jeans and a t-shirt. Or maybe because I wasn't white who knows...

They followed the rules they have set in front of them. Buying a firearm for the express purpose of giving it to somebody else is, from my understanding, a no-no. Don't blame the people making $10 for following the rules. You should have walked away while your wife bought it, or not said anything, or just bought the thing yourself, and done it all legitimately. I wouldn't get too steamed at people for pointing this all out to you.

I wouldn't consider it a straw purchase, I did the same thing with my wife, we picked out a gun, and she walked away and I bought it for her, at an FFL.

Straw purchases can be illegal in the United States when made at a federally licensed firearm dealership. If the straw purchaser of the firearm lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun, he can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. If a firearm is purchased as a gift, the transaction is not a straw purchase, and the person buying the gift is considered the end user. Straw purchases made outside of federally regulated dealerships are not illegal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.

I wouldn't consider it a straw purchase, I did the same thing with my wife, we picked out a gun, and she walked away and I bought it for her, at an FFL.

Of course, however, as he states, he didn't tell anybody that until all of the hub bub. The Fred Meyer guy had someone come to his counter, look at the gun, handle it, says "I'll take it" and then has his wife start filling out paperwork. Pretty sure it's frowned upon as some "asshat just out of high school" to go ahead and make the unilateral decision that it's probably just a gift, when that's not how it was explained to him.

In all fairness - as someone posted above they can loose their FFL for what the ATF / Feds consider a straw purchase. I took a friend to a shop where a friend is the handgun manager. She was buying the gun for her self and wasn't carrying a purse with her so she asked me to hold her cash. When it came time to pay I handed her HER money and they refused to complete the transaction as they don't know if any other customers might be ATF or other LE that could cost them the FFL. On the bright side they didn't make her fill out the paperwork again but she had to return the next day with the cash in her pocket/purse to complete the transaction.
I can see both sides of this and there was another thread posted yesterday (I think) where West Virginia and 27 other states are trying to get the rules changed so that "straw purchase" only applies when someone purchases a firearm specifically for a prohibited person. After all, if both the person purchasing and the recipient of the firearm are legally able to own the firearm there should be no harm / no foul.

They followed the rules they have set in front of them. Buying a firearm for the express purpose of giving it to somebody else is, from my understanding, a no-no. Don't blame the people making $10 for following the rules. You should have walked away while your wife bought it, or not said anything, or just bought the thing yourself, and done it all legitimately. I wouldn't get too steamed at people for pointing this all out to you.

You know I usually dont stick around when shes doing the paper work, but when they started chatting I felt like it was towards me. I don't blame them for anything other than jumping the conclusion. If anything the gun we bought wasn't for me, its actually for my son, but I acted like it was for me in my defense.

ATF rules consider there to be a difference between buying a gun for someone else (straw purchaser) and buying a gun for yourself and at a later date deciding that you wish to gift it to someone.

The clerk at Fred's was obeying the law when he refused to sell to a professing straw buyer.

My girl = wife
a55hat = a55whole
sh1t = poop
suspicious = felon
freddy's = fred meyer

Or maybe I should've shaved that day and wear a suit instead of jeans and a t-shirt. Or maybe because I wasn't white who knows...

I believe you may have misunderstood my comment :)

As others have stated, you're in the wrong on this one and every post you've added since your original has reinforced everyone's opinion that you not only were in the wrong at the store, but probably acted like a infant as well. Thank you very much for giving considerate, law abiding gun owners a bad name.

Its funny how I'm the bad guy when I'm in fact legal to own firearms. If you guys were in my spot I wonder how you would react knowing that what you are doing is legal and some kid tells you otherwise? Is it his business who the gun was for? I think he was prejudice if you ask me. I bet if I was clean shaven and well dressed we wouldn't have had a problem. I guess this is what happens when you buy a gun at a grocery store.

"I went to Freddy's to buy a gun. Found what I wanted, handled it and said "I'll take it"."

And then wanted your wife to fill out the paperwork because (and you TOLD THEM this)
"I didn't want the gun under my name"???

You are lucky you were not arrested on the way out of the store for attempting a straw
purchase.

That's not a small thing. It's Federal, and it's severe.

"What is a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is an illegal firearm purchase where the actual buyer of the gun, being unable to pass the required federal background check or desiring to not have his or her name associated with the transaction, uses a proxy buyer who can pass the required background check to purchase the firearm for him/her. It is highly illegal and punishable by a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison."

As others have stated, you're in the wrong on this one and every post you've added since your original has reinforced everyone's opinion that you not only were in the wrong at the store, but probably acted like a infant as well. Thank you very much for giving considerate, law abiding gun owners a bad name.

Are you even a gun enthusiast? 695 posts ZERO feedback. I bet your the guy that buys all the ammo and reloading compontents and resell them for a profit. Poof begone troll.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top