JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was just looking at the page on Fostech's website for their Echo trigger which fires on the pull and release. Then I noticed that they are listing Oregon as one of the states they cannot ship to. This came as a total surprise to me. Can somebody clue me in as to what law it is that makes this item illegal here? Thanks!

ORS 166.210 - Definitions - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

6)
"Machine gun" means a weapon of any description by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is designed or modified to allow two or more shots to be fired by a single pressure on the trigger device.

Relevant law.

Same reason Franklin Armory's binary fire system isn't allowed in Oregon.

By the way, Federally it says "per actuation of trigger" which means its legal in Fed law, but Oregon is written such that it is illegal because you have a single pressure on the trigger; if it fires on the pull, then fires on the release.

So why does Franklin ship to Oregon if Fostech does not. Since both triggers operate on the same principle that doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the be Franklin BFSIII be illegal, too?

So why does Franklin ship to Oregon if Fostech does not. Since both triggers operate on the same principle that doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the be Franklin BFSIII be illegal, too?

no idea, they used to list oregon as a state they done ship to then it was removed. Perhaps a website error? I sent them an email asking what's up and will post the reply when they get back to me

What about those Gatling gun hand cranks that screw on to the triggerguard of your 22 rifle? Cabela's ships those to Oregon and they require pressure in only one circular direction.
<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
I live in Idaho, any of you who want to own one of these but can't because you live in a commie state I would be happy to "store" it for you in one of my rifles free of charge. Of course you would have full visitation rights.

There are of course lots of ways to interpret this, but this sounds bass-ackwards to me.

The federal law says one shot per 'actuation of trigger'. To me an 'actuation' is a pull and release.

And Oregon law says one shot per 'pressure', which both triggers are compliant on. You only get one shot per 'pressure', it is the release that gives the second shot.

But I'm not willing to test that in court.

I live in Idaho, any of you who want to own one of these but can't because you live in a commie state I would be happy to "store" it for you in one of my rifles free of charge. Of course you would have full visitation rights.

Yeah, that's what SHE said....we're not gonna have to go to court and fight you for visitation after an argument are we??? I'm really not down with supervised visits...

You apply the pressure rearward for the first shot the trigger return spring applies the pressure for the second shot both require separate pressures to fire the shot. Disclaimer this is just a random guess.

One possible answer is that the Fostech uses movement of the bolt to hit the safety blocker to allow the trigger to reset.

Furthermore, the Fostech safety blocker that allows reset and prevents hammer follow looks like an auto sear, even though it is not.

My FFL was saying he was putting a Franklin BFS trigger in his latest build when I was picking up my last lower. I'd be very interested if anyone can get a definite answer on this so I can pass it along.

Maybe someone can help me understand how they are legal in the first place though.

In 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) the definition of "Machine Gun" is this
"The term "machinegun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

Now with any of the crank fire triggers I can see how they could say that each little segment of the crank's turning was a single "function" and in a slide fire stock/hellfire trigger it is only firing once per depression of the trigger.

Is it just because "function" is not really defined that its been allowed?

My concern is that something similar to what happened to the Akins Accelerator could happen here somewhere down the road and anyone who put one of these in is out a decent chunk of change or possibly a felon when someone at Ftroop is having a bad day.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top