JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I liked your post goosebrown ... but at the same time think that it is a shame that we as gun owners have to go to such lengths as lying to protect ourselves.

That fact that most gun owners are extremely law abiding and would not wantonly commit a crime or violent act , yet must often hide or lie about their guns is a crime in itself.
Andy

I liked your post goosebrown ... but at the same time think that it is a shame that we as gun owners have to go to such lengths as lying to protect ourselves.

That fact that most gun owners are extremely law abiding and would not wantonly commit a crime or violent act , yet must often hide or lie about their guns is a crime in itself.
Andy

I remember last year I went in with my son he was 21 about the third question was is there a gun in the house.
My son looked at me and I said politely next question I looked at him and he moved along.
You are not forced to answer any questions from a doctor it wont affect your insurance and what does gun have to do
with why I am seeing him. My son has been trained to STFU, about his firearms ( if he has any :) ) Not his friends, not online,
not in games not at family gatherings. He knows how this all works and gives no one anything.
I agree I never lied to doctors before and now they force you to lie to protect your privacy when did that happen.
It rhetorical question I know the answer.:confused:

I hate when these people relate suicide to gun violence. Like Brownstain did to speak against our gun rights.

When someone commits suicide with a vehicle is it vehicle violence ?

When they use a razor blade is it razor violence ?

Even when they OD, is it substance violence ?

These are ignorant people praying on the weak minded.

"forum looks at gun violence as public health issue"

We will always be behind the curve with society that thinks that way. How about a forum that looks a violence as a criminal problem? Where are those...?

It'd be incredible if these folks finally began to realize that it's not the guns which cause gun violence. Sadly, I don't think that'll happen.

Forum looks at gun violence as public health issue
Why on earth would looking at what leads up to gun violence be a bad thing? The fact is, there lots of people with guns that shouldn't have them, and a gun is a very easy tool to commit violence with. Saying otherwise denies the reality of what a gun can do.

Why on earth would looking at what leads up to gun violence be a bad thing?

Because there is no such thing as "gun violence"...

The fact is, there lots of people with guns that shouldn't have them, and a gun is a very easy tool to commit violence with. Saying otherwise denies the reality of what a gun can do.

The fact is that if someone cant be trusted with a gun they cannot be trusted to be in public.

I noticed this post today. I thought I would respond since I did attend the program on Saturday from 9 to 3 in the afternoon. I went to "see" what they were promoting, condoning, and presenting.

They advertised the program as a Gun Violence Forum but the speakers and "breakout" session did not focus on guns. They did discuss many of the topics brought out in this forum (drugs, gangs, suicide, "suicide by cop". Mental illness). Little in the ay of "gun" stats were discussed in the session breakout I attended.

There were only around 400 people at the forum (a number stated by the Staff-I don't think it was that big). I felt (with no proof whatsoever) that the promotion of a forum on "Gun Violence as a Public Health issue" was more to draw people to the event than the purpose of the event. They talked on causes of violence in general than separate "gun violence" out in particular. There were some presenters/facilitators that seem to try to bring up the "gun" problem but they didn't go very far before the participants in the break out sessions pushed the conversation back to "causes" rather than objects.

Part of the agenda was a final meeting of all participants to highlight discussion points and ideas to intercede violent behavior before it becomes physical. It is my personal opinion that the "conclusions" they brought up at this end summary meeting were pre drawn "conclusions" by the presenters – not a derivative of the participant discussions.

I felt (with no proof whatsoever) that the promotion of a forum on "Gun Violence as a Public Health issue" was more to draw people to the event than the purpose of the event.

As long as they call it "gun violence" it will always be a re-education effort for gun control indoctrination. You cant have gun control without "gun violence"...

Last Edited:
There were some presenters/facilitators that seem to try to bring up the "gun" problem but they didn't go very far before the participants in the break out sessions pushed the conversation back to "causes" rather than objects.

I really liked this ... wish more folks would focus on the "causes" and not the objects.
Andy

I didn't see anything firearms related in their printed agenda, which I thought odd considering the title. Also, an open invitation forum for anyone regardless of actual experience, credentials, or education to discuss anything doesn't seem very helpful. That's quite a lot of opinion and anecdotes without a lot a facts floating around, and no way to put things into context. Which really sets things up for those preformed conclusions provided at the end, which is what I would have expected.

I will add that there were some folks wearing gun control Tee shirts (very few, maybe 5 that I saw - I didn't wear any pro gun attire myself). The organizers/facilitators were academics from OHSU and PSU (PhD's, Social "counselors", graduate degrees in social work, etc.). There were no calls for more gun laws during the program. However at the end we were handed brochures about "gun control" measures, which included stats on "evil" guns. Anti gun folks were at the forum but did not get mike time.

It is interesting to note that I only saw one white official, and three white band members at the program. The group facilitators were non-white. It looked like 70-80% of attendees were white. Having observed that, I did not see/hear a lot of racial comments, excuses for violence in my breakout group. No "Black Lives Matter" rhetoric. The racial issues were discussed along with mental and social issues (e.g. poverty, drug use, anger, etc.).

That's not going to happen. We are training our kids to outright lie if anyone asks if we have guns.
Maybe teach them to say "none of your business. Please turn over all my medical records to me right now. Where is your nearest competitors office?"

Well, when they realize it's not Gun Violence, it's Human Violence, maybe then they'll be able to come to some realistic resolutions. Sadly, too many keep trying to blame guns for the violence, when the minds of the humans inflicting the violence is the issue. So, who influenced this mind and allowed it to get so sick? How do we recognize and address this sickness, before it erupts in violence toward others or themselves?

There were some presenters/facilitators that seem to try to bring up the "gun" problem but they didn't go very far before the participants in the break out sessions pushed the conversation back to "causes" rather than objects.

Looks like there actually are people trying to focus on the issue BEFORE a person picks up a weapon. Great! It's a start.

Sadly, too many keep trying to blame guns for the violence, when the minds of the humans inflicting the violence is the issue. So, who influenced this mind and allowed it to get so sick? How do we recognize and address this sickness, before it erupts in violence toward others or themselves?

Indeed! That's the point our representatives SHOULD be focusing on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top