JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to carry a MTB in the back of a IH Scout Traveler while in college. For breakdowns and such. Rarely used it for that purpose though. That was also back when I had much better health and I rode the bike a lot.

I have long held that having an alternate means of travel as backup is a wise idea for anybody, especially preppers. A bicycle is good because it is much more efficient than walking, and faster too. Speed can be an important factor in just about any SHTF scenario - you may be fleeing something/somebody, you may need to get home to care for someone, you may need to meet someone. Range is also important - you can cover 100 miles in a day on a bicycle over relatively flat terrain, that would take you up to a week to cover on foot (especially with a backpack loaded with gear).

An e-bike has more advantages; it has better range & sustained speed. If you are injured (say you were inured in an earthquake) or sick, you may not be able to pedal or pedal up a hill. If you are in poor health (e.g., me due to age/injuries) and can't sustain much exercise, having that electric assist can make all the difference in getting up a hill.

A folding e-bike that you can put in your trunk or cargo area, that is out of sight and therefore more secure, would be a good thing to have if you commute any real distance (like I used to commute 32 miles each way with significant hills) or you are traveling, then this would be a good thing to pack along.

This is one of many e-bikes, including folding e-bikes. I have no experience with it and need to do more research, but the features tick off most of what I want; full suspension, fat tires, different assist modes, folding for keeping in my SUV, cargo rack, etc. - the one thing it doesn't have is 2WD, but for an emergency backup mode, that isn't absolutely necessary. I do wish it had more range - but maybe I can get a spare battery for it. Also, not sure (yet) if it has a regen mode or not.

That said, it seems the price is right.

Looks interesting - any idea how well it works under pedal power after the battery dies? Those fat tires may be a double edged sword. Also wondering what the options are for replacements, though they may be more common than I am thinking. Just thinking about consumables back from my riding days.

One thing to consider. Most have about a 35 mile range. They are also very heavy, and a beast to peddle after the battery is dead. Gears are normally not extensive. One of mine has 7, the other has 8. This make hills a severe trial after the battery is dead. Battery also goes dead fast if left in one of my bikes (the other is not so bad).

As an alternative to driving or if your car broke down not too far off the path, it'd hold some promise. But, the bike weighs 83lbs all by its lonesome, let alone with any gear in tow.

83lbs on fatty tires is going to be a workout if the motor ever dies. Basically, if it breaks down, it's about as good as your broken down car. Maybe carry around some big wheel rollerblades as a backup to your e-bike?

I've looked at them before, but my main concern is ride-ability if the bike itself sees problems. Tool-less ditching of the motor and battery aren't on, as far as I know, any models out there as it really isn't an important feature to most. The fenders on this are just extra weight and I'm not sold that I'd want the weight of the suspension system - it's a SHTF bike to use on pavement or trails…not complete off road 4x4 boulder hopping.

There are lightweight fat bikes with very low gearing. Gearing so low that if you try to use them on flat land you'll just fall over. Even with reduced cardiovascular ability I think a person could travel 90% of mountain roads on one. No concerns about the battery's weight, waterproofness, maintenance and charging, weight of storage or transport, etc.

Looks interesting - any idea how well it works under pedal power after the battery dies? Those fat tires may be a double edged sword. Also wondering what the options are for replacements, though they may be more common than I am thinking. Just thinking about consumables back from my riding days.
20"x4" tires are common.

The MTB I had came with tires that had a rib in the middle. Inflate them to 90 PSI and they mostly rode on the rib, with less resistance. Deflate them to 40 PSI and you had more traction. Haven't researched whether 20x4 tires are available with that feature. What I do recommend for any bicycle or dirt oriented motorcycle, is one of the flat protection mechanisms. I use a Neutech Tubliss on my Husaberg - it helps keep the tire against the rim even at very low pressures and requires less air inflation volume.

I have not ridden an e-bike, but most of them are heavier than the equivalent non-e-bike, this one weighs 74 pounds, about double that of an inexpensive MTB, and less than half of the lightest off-road motorcycle.

Weight is always going to be an issue for the E-Bikes, been doing quite a bit of research and found that the off road Motor Cycle type bikes offered better performance for the weight, so that's a likely direction for us! Battery life seems better, and range is better, and with an extra pack, range can be further extended!

There are lightweight fat bikes with very low gearing. Gearing so low that if you try to use them on flat land you'll just fall over. Even with reduced cardiovascular ability I think a person could travel 90% of mountain roads on one. No concerns about the battery's weight, waterproofness, maintenance and charging, weight of storage or transport, etc.
I gave up riding bicycles about 20 years ago due the back pain. The position, even on a MTB, just kills my back. I was able to ride motorcycles though - with a riser on the handlebars.

Over the past 5 years it has become increasingly apparent that I am not up to riding a non-powered 2 wheeled conveyance up any kind of hill at all - and no amount of exercise is helping in that aspect. It is only going to get worse. Walking is a non-starter too; besides not being able to walk up a hill without collapsing in less than a mile (it is five miles from the base of my mountain to my house) due to my heart/lungs, my back makes it increasingly painful to walk period, regardless of the incline or lack thereof - indeed, walking downhill is more painful than uphill.

So an e-bike is what I have been looking at as a backup. I could probably stand the pain of the position for several hours, and that would usually be enough to get me home with an assist from battery/motor. I want a folding bike as a non-folding bike would mostly get left at home. If this doesn't work out, then I would see if it would work for my kids - daughter & SIL - who have similar health problems.

If it does workout for me, I may get an AWD e-bike to replace my motorcycles or as an adjunct.

If a person has good health, then a conventional and/or non-powered folding bike would maybe be a better choice, although if a person was injured or ill, having the power option would be a good thing. One does not know what will happen when SHTF.

FWIW, I rode my first century 50+ years ago - part of which was over the very mountain I live on. I rode bicycles regularly for 40 years - I commuted on bicycles to/from college and work until I couldn't do it anymore. I am familiar with what it takes to ride distances. Part of the reason I gave up riding bicycles was my back, but also because traffic became a safety issue, and there were too many people who took delight in hassling cyclists.

Weight is always going to be an issue for the E-Bikes, been doing quite a bit of research and found that the off road Motor Cycle type bikes offered better performance for the weight, so that's a likely direction for us! Battery life seems better, and range is better, and with an extra pack, range can be further extended!
A folding bike isn't the only answer - there is a range of electric powered two wheeled conveyances from bicycles to electric motorcycles - all of which have pros and cons. But a folding bike has the advantage of being able to be towed away out of sight and possibly out of mind - i.e., always being there for emergencies as a backup.

A full sized non-folding 2WD (or not) e-bike or motorcycle would possibly also be something good for trips into town where something was needed that could be hauled on it. A motorcycle has the additional advantage of speed. One of the reasons I got back into motorcycles after giving up bicycling, was the speed advantage made it safer to get away from anal orifices who wanted to make my life difficult when I was on a bicycle.

I've had people throw things at me, get into physical fist fights, chase me and other harassment when I was on a bicycle and I was always at a disadvantage speed wise - on a motorcycle I could usually outrun or otherwise evade most cars and I do not recall any harassment episodes (or they were not worth recalling) save those by traffic cops.

In a SHTF scenario, a bicycle rider would/could be a target and vulnerable, more so than a motorcycle rider - although both would be more than someone in a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Honda is re making the Monkey, they offer it in a most adult friendly 149 CC version ( which I can tell you, has plenty of power) and they get much better range on a single gallon of gas vs an 'letric bike!

My o.g. Monkey with the 150 cc engine conversion and better brakes/tires gets around 52 miles per gallon, does 55 MPH flat out with out stretching it, and will haul my arse up any hill I try! Holds 2.5 gallons of fuel, and I carry an extra gallon and a half on the seat back! It weighs about what one of those better e bikes weighs and it folds up enough to be useful!

Just a thought!

As an alternative to driving or if your car broke down not too far off the path, it'd hold some promise. But, the bike weighs 83lbs all by its lonesome, let alone with any gear in tow.

83lbs on fatty tires is going to be a workout if the motor ever dies. Basically, if it breaks down, it's about as good as your broken down car. Maybe carry around some big wheel rollerblades as a backup to your e-bike?

I've looked at them before, but my main concern is ride-ability if the bike itself sees problems. Tool-less ditching of the motor and battery aren't on, as far as I know, any models out there as it really isn't an important feature to most. The fenders on this are just extra weight and I'm not sold that I'd want the weight of the suspension system - it's a SHTF bike to use on pavement or trails…not complete off road 4x4 boulder hopping.
If a bicycle got you 10 miles closer to your destination in less than an hour, IMO it would be worth having even if you had to abandon it for whatever reason. For me, 10 miles is what I would/could maybe cover in a day - if I was having a good day and the terrain was flat - I have not tried to walk that distance in decades so it is iffy.

If this particular bike could cover 30-40 miles without much assistance from me, then that would probably be a life saver for me in a SHTF situation where my daily driver became immobile while away from home. Most of my time away from home is within that distance from home - if not, then that distance from my kids home. If further away - say on a long distance trip, then 30-40 miles might get me to someplace safe, whether that is to "civilization" or away from it.

It beats walking IMO, and if it breaks, I can still walk - or not, but the bicycle itself doesn't prevent me from walking. It is another layer in transport. Also, there is the option of a cargo trailer behind the bicycle.

Honda is re making the Monkey, they offer it in a most adult friendly 149 CC version ( which I can tell you, has plenty of power) and they get much better range on a single gallon of gas vs an 'letric bike!

My o.g. Monkey with the 150 cc engine conversion and better brakes/tires gets around 52 miles per gallon, does 55 MPH flat out with out stretching it, and will haul my arse up any hill I try! Holds 2.5 gallons of fuel, and I carry an extra gallon and a half on the seat back! It weighs about what one of those better e bikes weighs and it folds up enough to be useful!

Just a thought!
That would be okay if you wanted to haul it around - space wise you might be able to fit it into a small space like a trunk or SUV.

The Honda CT models get better fuel efficiency and are more capable, but harder to make space for.

Then there is this, which has been around for a while:

Motoped-Black-Ops-right.jpg

They started with a 49cc Honda (or clone) engine to keep within moped rules, but you can bump that up to 125cc.

But not foldable and heavier than an e-bike.

An advantage of e-bikes over gas powered bikes, that I forgot to mention, is that they are quiet.

I'm sorry to hear that. We'll all reach that stage someday though.
It could be tomorrow - a person could get sick overnight, or they could be injured by the SHTF scenario. Ideally, in that case, a 4 wheeled powered conveyance would be good - but if it breaks or is otherwise disabled, and you are too sick/injured to walk far, and/or need care/help soon and walking is too slow, then a 2 wheeled conveyance is a good backup.

I have three automobiles - an SUV daily driver, a 4x4 pickup and a 4x4 flatbed truck. I also have to very capable dirt bikes; a Husaberg and a Beta. But for any of those, if they break/etc., I don't have the next level of backup, and especially not one that I could take along with me out of sight (thereby reducing theft risk) inside my daily driver.

I know this will come off as silly, but I made my wife bring a kick scooter to work. Figured it would be better than walking. It's lightweight aluminum, compact when folded. Solid polyurethane wheels need no air. Easier to get off than a bike in the case you need to get off in a hurry. Can be used as a weapon by swinging it forcefully at someone. Not very expensive.

174916_Black?wid=600&hei=600&op_sharpen=1.jpg

I know this will come off as silly, but I made my wife bring a kick scooter to work. Figured it would be better than walking. It's lightweight aluminum, compact when folded. Solid polyurethane wheels need no air. Easier to get off than a bike in the case you need to get off in a hurry. Can be used as a weapon by swinging it forcefully at someone. Not very expensive.

View attachment 1047352
I'd run over muh balls so no.

Lol, not really, I keep a razor scooter in the bed of my pickup.

For those of you like me, that like a little more stability and more hauling ability.... I would consider the three wheeled versions, though this would make it much more difficult to pack around in your vehicle unless you have a pickup and are able to lock it down or cover it with a shell. And they ain't cheap.....

1633814638253.png

For the money most of these command you can get a nice 125 CC dirt bike that will ride nicer, have a longer range and cover a wider variety of terrain. You just need a big enough vehicle to tote it around in.

Doing more research and found this full sized (26" wheels) folding fully suspended e-bike:

costs more, but found out it seems to be less expensive in Canada, especially if you pay with USD

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top