JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought the Big Blue 28 watt 2.4 amp 3 port folding backpacking solar panel as a lightning deal on Amazon for $60 instead of $80. It works GREAT directly propped up facing the sun, charges my phone like a fast charger. But leaving it flat on a table in the sun, nothing...in a window with light but not really direct sun light beaming on it, nothing.

So 5 months out of the year it will be useful, the other 7 not so much? I have one of those little folding battery bank solar deals that charges my phone 3 times but not sure about this one. Figured it would be a good way to power my phone easily and reliably in SHTF without having to have a HUGE solar off grid setup at the house with panels all over my roof that scream "prepper lives here!"

Solar is getting better but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Just keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. If you're out in the field for extended times then it's better than nothing. I would invest in a Yeti or Jackery type power station before I committed to solar. They can be recharged multiple ways. Even an inverter for your vehicle would be a practical option. If the SHTF and the cell towers and grid go down, why would you need a phone anyway? Gas generators have come a long way also. They are quieter, more efficient and can run quite a long time on little gas. There's pro's and con's to all of the emergency power options though.

Solar is getting better but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Just keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. If you're out in the field for extended times then it's better than nothing. I would invest in a Yeti or Jackery type power station before I committed to solar. They can be recharged multiple ways. Even an inverter for your vehicle would be a practical option. If the SHTF and the cell towers and grid go down, why would you need a phone anyway? Gas generators have come a long way also. They are quieter, more efficient and can run quite a long time on little gas. There's pro's and con's to all of the emergency power options though.

In most cases of SHTF cell service still worked, albeit in some cases in a limited fashion (text over calls). Plus you can easily store hundreds of survival books on there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top