JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So rice, beans, grains, etc. are all easy to store with O2 absorbers and dessicant packets, but what about Fats and Oils? I go through a liter of Olive Oil every 2-3 weeks but I know it will go rancid if left in storage; even unopened it will oxidize eventually. I'm looking at 10-year span storage at a maximum, minimum 5. Past that I figure it's all Game Over anyway. I've looked into highly-processed (e.g. no BHA, additives, etc.) Lard and canned Butter, both of which are very expensive but if SHTF fat consumption and caloric consumption will go through the roof to maintain health and muscle/bone mass. Anyone with a magic bullet as it were?

not sure on shelf life but freeze dried powdered butter, cream, and shortening exist.

Wait here is one. 10 year shelf life:
Does anyone have experience with these kind of "powdered fat" products? I've seen the Auguson and Red Feather products at a dozen websites and past being quite expensive seem somewhat suspect (except for the canned butter, which is just good aseptic packaging) for a real nutritional supplement.

I don't have a solid easy answer.

For us, we are relying on a mixed healthy diet of freeze dried foods, including meat, from 2 different companies, auguson being one of them.

The real answer is some pet goats for goat milk, goat cheese, etc, or chickens, as I assume eggs have some fat.

Goats are hard in suburbia, chickens are possible. I imagine butter/fat/lard/cheese/oil will be worth there wait in gold if society stabikizes to a bartering position.

Realistically though I can't afford or care to sock away 10 years of supplies.... We are prepared for 6 months ish. More depending on gardening and hunting results, so I don't think it will be a huge issue over that time frame. Maybe I am wrong.

Can you freeze butter or lard So at least when poo poo meets fan you are starting with a fresh supply?

Grow olives, make your own? Raise cows, make your own butter?

In a SHTF scenario, food will be bland, and cooked in the most energy conserving method possible.

Lard will become a major currency and or use for anything fat related.

Best of luck with your mission, but I think I'd be more worried about calorie dense long term storable foods over oils and fats.

If anything, look into what naturally occurring fats exist in foods as is and buy and store foods high in those. Powdered milk will contain the same fats as butter, just not refined.

I stored one of these unopened for 3 1/2 years before I opened and tested it.
Seemed ok. Never got hot though...

ssss.jpg

Can you freeze butter or lard So at least when poo poo meets fan you are starting with a fresh supply?

Don't know if you should freeze butter however we always have some frozen. Sometimes years old. Never gave it much thought.
Aw heck, I can see another sleepless night coming thinking about the pros and cons of frozen butter.

I guess I'll go get a bowl of ice cream to help me concentrate on this...:s0155:

Don't know if you should freeze butter however we always have some frozen. Sometimes years old. Never gave it much thought.
Aw heck, I can see another sleepless night coming thinking about the pros and cons of frozen butter.

I guess I'll go get a bowl of ice cream to help me concentrate on this...:s0155:
I freeze butter all the time. There is 5lbs in our freezer now. I like to stock up when it goes on sale for $2 a lb. It doesn't hurt it at all. Not sure about years of storage though because it doesn't last that long in our house.

Buy what a cross country hiker would buy.. Dehydrated food which contains fat in it.. Coconut oil can stay good for a long period.. Avoid olive oil like the plague unless its highly refined. Lard is unhealthy, so enjoy it, but if you are fighting the plague , Coconut Oil has immune boosting properties and can be bought very cheap even at Wal-Mart. One problem with it is it can evaporate in hot weather ( ilearned in Africa), so make sure you put it in a good container, preferably big insulated container.

YOu cannot simply find anything better than powdered foods. I am thinking about stocking up on more Whey Protein powders .. Pea protein powders are pretty good as they have essential protein but also minerals. Beef and egg protein powders ..

In a SHTF scenario you will want food that is easy to prepare and lightweight. I find rice is pretty good , since it kind of fits the bill. There is a reason why the Chinese armies carried big sackloads of this stuff. It fed entire armies and is a pretty good source of nutrients and energy. It also is more palatable then some of that gnarly tasting dehydrated stuff. It's also very cheap. All you need to do is boil it in some water.. Beans can be good too, but more bulky.

Some people look at powdered beans and powdered rice. Powdered wheat is another option..

You can also live on chia seeds and coconut powder.. High nutrients and high fat, good source of protein as well. I have tons and tons of Chia Seeds.. Those alone could satisfy my fat needs. Chia seeds don't go rancid either and more easy to digest than flax seeds.

Buy what a cross country hiker would buy.. Dehydrated food which contains fat in it.. Coconut oil can stay good for a long period.. Avoid olive oil like the plague unless its highly refined. Lard is unhealthy, so enjoy it, but if you are fighting the plague , Coconut Oil has immune boosting properties and can be bought very cheap even at Wal-Mart. One problem with it is it can evaporate in hot weather ( ilearned in Africa), so make sure you put it in a good container, preferably big insulated container.

YOu cannot simply find anything better than powdered foods. I am thinking about stocking up on more Whey Protein powders .. Pea protein powders are pretty good as they have essential protein but also minerals. Beef and egg protein powders ..

In a SHTF scenario you will want food that is easy to prepare and lightweight. I find rice is pretty good , since it kind of fits the bill. There is a reason why the Chinese armies carried big sackloads of this stuff. It fed entire armies and is a pretty good source of nutrients and energy. It also is more palatable then some of that gnarly tasting dehydrated stuff. It's also very cheap. All you need to do is boil it in some water.. Beans can be good too, but more bulky.

Some people look at powdered beans and powdered rice. Powdered wheat is another option..

You can also live on chia seeds and coconut powder.. High nutrients and high fat, good source of protein as well. I have tons and tons of Chia Seeds.. Those alone could satisfy my fat needs. Chia seeds don't go rancid either and more easy to digest than flax seeds.
I would think if you put an unopened container of coconut oil in a sealed mylar bag with oxygen absorbers and stored in a cool spot that it would last quite a long time. Start rotating it out in 3 to 5 years to check the quality. Supposedly the unrefined coconut oil last longer but I can't verify this.

I would think if you put an unopened container of coconut oil in a sealed mylar bag with oxygen absorbers and stored in a cool spot that it would last quite a long time. Start rotating it out in 3 to 5 years to check the quality. Supposedly the unrefined coconut oil last longer but I can't verify this.

More than likely it would be fine at the 3 year mark just on the shelf. Coconut oil is one of the, if not the best storing fats.

Freezing it would extend its useable life quite a bit, I'd imagine. Rancidity clock would likely start once removed from the freezer.

Ultimately fats would need to be obtained, as opposed to what would have been purchased "before" whatever happened. Nut trees, soy beans, dairy, rendering slaughter etc.

Most folks simply assume a $ loss of stored fats and oils over time due to rancidity. The savings from keeping a well rotated pantry purchased on special/bulk easily makes up for that $ loss tho.

If a slow roll "world as we know it" cataclysm is seen coming...one of the last things to purchase are fats and oils.

As to simply storing and eating only rice, that's a bad idea IMO.

Although beans have been proven not to be required to make a complete meal, other vegetables are. Beans & lentils are the easiest to store, simple to prepare, and rice bean/lentil combos are tasty as well. IMO.

Black forbidden rice actually has a significant amount of antioxidants and nutrients. Definitely would avoid white rice. Also lentils and chickpeas are easy to prepare, have a load of nutrients and are not too bulky.

Some coconut oils ive had have lasted forever whereas some have grown mold. Make sure you get a good brand that is packed well. Some coconut oils are made with lower quality coconuts, have less nutrients and dont last as long.

I also used a lot of red palm oil in west africawhich is high in vitamin A and E and a very healthy source of fat. It is available in stores here and last a long time like coconut oil.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads