JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know Washington says no "dirks or daggers" concealed. I'm wondering #1 if anyone follows this and #2 if there's a "loophole" (I hate using that word) on this. I know a lot of guys that conceal a fixed blade either in their edc pack or their Fanny pack. Those guys breaking the law? Not that you'd ever get caught anyways, shoot I carried a concealed handgun for years before I ever got a permit the day I turned 21.

But I was hoping to add a little sheathe-mounted fixed blade to the Molle section in my edc backpack and another smaller version in my Fanny pack (both inside the pack and not "open" to view so concealed)

Is there a type of knife that is a fixed style blade but does not fall under a "dirk" or "dagger" in Washington laws? I also see the part of the law that says "furtively carry with intent to conceal a dirk dagger pistol or other dangerous weapon". Furtively translates to "in a way that attempts to avoid notice or attention; secretively." So I assume that's black and white… can't conceal a dagger or dirk.. but I don't see anything stating "fixed blade" in general.

Can anyone give me some answers on this one?

Just like in Oregon, you're at the mercy of the cop if you decide to carry a fixed blade knife. Yes, if you conceal carry a small fixed blade knife, you are breaking the law. With that said, unless you really piss off a cop, they just won't care if you have a small fixed blade knife in your pocket or backpack. With the proliferation of EDC fixed blades, most realize it's not something to concern over.

I carry a concealed fixed blade knife; not a single worry about the legalities of it.

IMG_20220207_194602_471.jpg

Same here. Fixed blade is part of my daily carry. Not too worried about legalities at this point in American history. Here soon I could be committing a "misdemeanor" for my 17 round mags….

Knife laws in WA are stupid. If you conceal it, it's a "furtive effort" which is prohibited. If you carry it openly, someone can consider it "menacing" and can often get a response by the police.

If I detain someone and I do a pat for weapons and they disclose they have a knife, or whatever before we get started, it's no big deal. If they have to go to jail, I write them a property receipt and lock it in a drawer with a carbon copy of the receipt. If they want to come get it, I'll return it.

I got a whole drawer full of knives.

Knife laws in WA are stupid. If you conceal it, it's a "furtive effort" which is prohibited. If you carry it openly, someone can consider it "menacing" and can often get a response by the police.

If I detain someone and I do a pat for weapons and they disclose they have a knife, or whatever before we get started, it's no big deal. If they have to go to jail, I write them a property receipt and lock it in a drawer with a carbon copy of the receipt. If they want to come get it, I'll return it.

I got a whole drawer full of knives.
How much $$ for the drawer full of knives?

Call me crazy, but why not just carry a folder, but opened and in a sheath instead of folded if there is a concern about legality.

The law is dumb, I agree, but that sounds like it punches all the buttons of having the knife on you and still being in the "legal" category.

Call me crazy, but why not just carry a folder, but opened and in a sheath instead of folded if there is a concern about legality.

The law is dumb, I agree, but that sounds like it punches all the buttons of having the knife on you and still being in the "legal" category.
I carry a folder and a fixed blade. One for stabbing/slashing and one for cutting open boxes.

I carry a folder and a fixed blade. One for stabbing/slashing and one for cutting open boxes.
Nice. I used to carry a stabby/slashy knife but fell out of the habit. I figure that if I am within legal limits of self defense to stab/slash someone I would also be able to shoot them. Now I just carry a swiss army knife.

Nice. I used to carry a stabby/slashy knife but fell out of the habit. I figure that if I am within legal limits of self defense to stab/slash someone I would also be able to shoot them. Now I just carry a swiss army knife.
True. I carry my fixed blade opposite side of my pistol. I carry it solely as an alternative. If for some reason my left hand is trapped or I am positioned in a specific way where I can't draw my pistol, I have the knife to hopefully create distance allowing me to access my gun.

That's a pretty dang good point. However I really like fixed blade in sheath and have a few options. If I go folder I'll need to make my own kydex sheath with MOLLE attachment

OP: "I know Washington says no "dirks or daggers" concealed."

Dirks and daggers are a specific classification of blades. They by design and shape are different from common 'hunting" knives.
Dirks and daggers are sharpened on both the top and bottom of the blade vs. only one edge as a hunting style knife.
The advantage of a fixed blade over a folder is for serious combat use the fixed blade by design should have a much thicker blade and hilt/spine into the handle to provide strength against breakage. folders by design are weakest at the hinge.

Smiles,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads