JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I decided that we would renew our CPL's early this time around. So we both went to the Clark County Sheriff's Office and filled out the requisite forms. We were a bit more than 60 days early in the filing. We have both been doing this since we were in our 20's. We are now nearing 80 and this is probably the last time we'll renew. The Clark County Sheriffs Office website says that it can take between 30 and 60 days to get an initial license (and I'm assuming that goes for renewals too.) Imagine my surprise when 60 days passed and still no renewal for either of us. Today we got an email telling us that the licenses had been approved and we should be getting new cards in about 10 days. That's long past the 60 days on the web site. Historically, the paperwork is handled by Sheriff's Cadets, not actual employees, let alone commissioned officers. I went to the Sheriff's Office to voice my displeasure at the snails pace that this was taking and was advised that there is but a single person, working four days a week to handle the background checks, etc. It appears that the jail responsibilities have been taken away from this sheriff and I'm also reminded that deputies don't respond to a lot of calls anymore. I'm guessing that I won't be voting for this sheriff again. Could it be that this is indicative of the "new" normal for local government? I'm considering a civil litigation against the sheriff's office for not having a plan in place to reduce or eliminate the fees involved for the benefit of the homeless and illegals that are flooding into our local area. Many of them are carrying guns, so we need to make them legal so that they aren't further disenfranchised.

Gary Lucas and I were friends as well as both being deputies at the same time. I thought that Gary was a fine cop and a great sheriff.
He had been Sheriff for as long as I could remember. He was indeed a good Sheriff, is he still in charge or is he retired? I lived in Vancouver from 1995 until 2020, and I had a CCW two times there as an adult, and it was always $65 and maybe a week's wait before I got it in the mail. The biggest PITA was finding a parking spot down at the court house to get to the Sheriff's Office to fill out the paperwork and get finger-printed.

CCSO stopped issuing out-of-state permits back during COVID, are they still doing that? That really chaps my bubblegum. Guess I have to hope to get one from Camas or somewhere North of Clark County.

And if you think the current Sheriff is bad, you should see the police Chief for VPD. Total fruitcake.

My wife and I renewed our CPLs through Clark County early in 2023, and were among the first to use the new on-line application/renewal process. We got our renewed CPLs in the mail a bit quicker than the promised time.

A few weeks later, we received replacement CPLs because the originals were issued with incorrect numbers (the county designation was missing).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top