JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are many essentials for a defensive pistol, among them, the reliable ability to NOT shoot, as well as absolute reliability TO shoot. A successful defensive handgun engagement may resolve without a shot fired, but there will be some extremely high stress gun handling, even if just for reholstering. So, to that point, I will cheerfully assert that an ideal defensive handgun will have:
- An initial trigger pull that mitigates the risk of a less-than-deliberate first shot.
- Second strike capability. Pull the trigger again for another primer strike.
- Completely ambidextrous controls. You may not have the luxury of using your dominant hand, or both hands.
- A hammer or striker control plate to prevent ND while reholstering.
- A decocking mechanism to revert to a deliberate trigger pull, which cannot be left in a no-fire "safe" mode; i.e., spring return to fire mode after decocking.
- If continuity of fire is expected after an initial shot volley, an easily loaded mag well. Not applicable for those relying solely on the rounds in the gun, with no other mags on person, or most revolver users.
- For "always cocked" guns (striker fired), a manual safety in event the gun must be off your person and control to comply with safety or control commands ("Police, drop your gun!"), or transferred to another person in crisis conditions.

My review of available options reduces the choices to two current models suitable for CCW, and although reasonably light, neither of them are compact. That's based on the requirement for completely ambidextrous controls; trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety/decocker, and hammer or striker control plate, and one-hand second strike capability.

Anticipating two common arguments:

If your finger is your safety, you're not safe. Proven by studies I'm happy to cite.

Second strike is not mandated in order to ignite a theoretical stubborn primer, agreeably so rare in factory ammo that it's not an eventuality that merits obsessive training. But the reality is that a primer struck once unsuccessfully in a defensive engagement will be overwhelmingly likely to ignite on a second strike, because the issue was never the primer, it was the failure to fully headspace or go into battery due to interference in cycling, with some of the energy intended for ignition instead absorbed by round motion relative to the chamber. This absorption itself tends to ready the round for a successful second strike. This phenomenon often occurs due to unusual movement or orientation of the firing hand, or interference with slide motion in grappling or close quarters. Not range conditions, gunfight conditions.

Fair warning: I don't like single action or striker fired guns for defensive emergency use. I do appreciate them for other purposes and reasons.

Well, this should set the fur a flyin'. Flame on!
Methinks a Wilson Combat Beretta Centurion checks all the boxes.
👍👍👍👍👍
Best,
Gary

Ah fellas....
Pictured below is the best defensive pistol ever.
It is a Italian Wheellock from the 1500's.
The action , trigger , trigger guard and inlays are original...the stock and barrel are new.
The hammer is also original....just refinished.

Well maybe not the best....
But I would bet it is one of the oldest ones here on the forum..... :D

In any event...it did make folks who were only armed with swords and the like think twice.
Also I don't think it would fall into line with the OP's criteria...but it is fun to shoot.
Andy

K..maybe it's just me, but addressing the reality behand the sarcasm..

As a .40 owner, I was surprised a few years back when LE types used that reasoning for trading in their .40's and going to 9mm..newer powders and bullet designs. Fine, but using that logic, doesn't it make sense that .40 would also be improving upward..thereby still maintaining a slight terminal ballistics advantage over 9mm? I mean..they should scale the same..same with .45.

So..I don't buy it. I think they really all went to 9mm because its easier for females to shoot and ammo is cheaper for the Departments.

K..maybe it's just me, but addressing the reality behand the sarcasm..

As a .40 owner, I was surprised a few years back when LE types used that reasoning for trading in their .40's and going to 9mm..newer powders and bullet designs. Fine, but using that logic, doesn't it make sense that .40 would also be improving upward..thereby still maintaining a slight terminal ballistics advantage over 9mm? I mean..they should scale the same..same with .45.

So..I don't buy it. I think they really all went to 9mm because its easier for females to shoot and ammo is cheaper for the Departments.
.40 Short & Weak was just another attempt at making @Andy54Hawken's .38-40 relevant again.

There are quite a few people feeling lonely and displaced...
Many are searching around to find a place to share their experiences....
A quick trip downstairs to buy cream at the store, can turn into a 30+ minute gab-fest...

...I bet those people wish they hadn't bumped into me. :rolleyes:

:D

I hope @Apocalypso sticks around...I kind of want to hear some of his stories.
:s0093:

Animated GIF

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top