JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to quit cruising the Classifieds, I find stuff I didn't even know I needed o_O. Anyway, a forum member was looking to trade his Sig P220R, I responded because he was looking for something I had available, and because I'd been considering a more carry oriented .45 ACP. I have a CZ 97 BD, great pistol, great range gun, but at around 3# fully loaded, it's not something I want to pack around. It's not exactly svelte, either. Didn't make a deal but parted on friendly terms.

Problem was, now I'd done some research on the P220, and realized I NEEDED one :rolleyes:! So back to the Classifieds, found someone else looking to make a trade on a different forum, one Colt 1991A1 later, and my first Sig should be in my hands today :cool:. I know, lots of folks carry 1911's, but I've decided the best setup for me is DA/SA with decocker, so the Colt was looking for a new home anyway. And yes, I know no pics means it didn't happen, so here's a couple. Later!

IMG_0354.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b0.jpeg

Put an SRT kit in it, you'll thank me!

After getting the 229 with an SRT I'm definitely spending $40 and get one for the 220 along with an adjustable trigger.

I had the molded grips for about 2 minutes. Ended up with a set of G10 grips.
Just put some black and gray G10 grips on the 229. Looks terrible, going to dye them black.
gh.jpg

Just picked it up, either the issues with the reset are WAY overblown, or this thing already has an SRT in it. Seriously, the reset is about the same as my CZ 97 BD, and I just dropped $300 for the full CGW Pro Package on that, part of which is a short reset kit. Haven't measured trigger pull yet, but it feels pretty light, both DA and SA, so no complaints there, either.

I don't know about the grips yet, it also came with the factory set. I kind of like these molded grips, they tend to fit my hand well, I've got a set on my Tanfo Witness, and got a set for the 1911 I traded on this Sig. That said, I didn't like them as well on the 1911, so who knows. Guess I'll just have to shoot it and see :D. Hoping to get at least a few rounds through it tomorrow, weather depending, of course. More later.

Dave

There is no issue per say with the reset on a normal trigger.
But there is a big difference between the two, at least there is on mine.

On the 220 with a regular trigger it resets quite long and there is take up after.
On my 229 with an SRT the reset is like relax your finger reset and there is no take up when it resets.
It is stupidly easy to send unwanted shots down range if you are not hanging on or don't have control of the trigger. Or so I've heard :oops:

The safety lever will either have a dogleg for the SRT and a shorter safety lever with a bend for a regular one.

The safety lever is on the right side of the sear, the ejector is on the left.
Parts breakdown,
Sig Sauer P220
P220 safety levers and SRT kit
Safety Lever

If the slide comes off with no effort then it most likely does not have an SRT.
The SRT safety lever sits up just a tad higher and you will have to de-cock first before removing the slide.
I can get it off with out de-cocking it but I have to give a pretty good tug.
I thought something was wrong till I read Appendix C in the manual.

I'm a fan of Crossbreed holsters.
The Supertuck carries bigger guns really well. Pretty comfortable even packing an FNP 45 in one all day.
P220 is slimmer, a tad lighter of course and carried well in one.

Yeah, holsters are like shoes/purses and women.

Nice choice. I'd opt to keep the CZ97 and P220 over a 1911 all day every day. DA/SA is beautiful, I don't want to be finding and fiddling a safety when it's go time.

The 97 is a chunky pistol to get only 10 rounds in the magazine, but mine shoots like a dream.

Enjoy the P220! Next up is the P220-10 ;)

Nice choice. I'd opt to keep the CZ97 and P220 over a 1911 all day every day. DA/SA is beautiful, I don't want to be finding and fiddling a safety when it's go time.

The 97 is a chunky pistol to get only 10 rounds in the magazine, but mine shoots like a dream.

Enjoy the P220! Next up is the P220-10 ;)

I don't really get all the angst over the 10 rd. mags in the 97, no one complained about 6 or 7 rounds when it was a revolver or 1911 world :rolleyes:. I do agree, though DA/SA is all that and a bag of chips, add a decocker and it just doesn't get much better :cool:. I'll probably regret asking this, but what's a P220-10?

Betcha won't stop @just.one

I don't know, I wasn't really looking for a Sig when I got this one. In fact, I'd been telling myself my next pistol was going to be a CZ SP-01 Tactical, and that's still at the top of my list. After that, there just isn't much I have a hankering for, maybe a revolver or two, but that's about it. I don't collect guns just to have them, they all serve a purpose, and they all get shot. I have one that doesn't get shot much, that's my old High Standard .22 auto, it's getting old enough that parts are hard to come by, and the mags can be finicky, so it doesn't go to the range often. Actually, the last time I used it was to put down a couple of injured chickens, anything else I've got is either just too much or too unwieldy. I should add it to my for sale list and get a more modern .22 pistol.

Checked trigger pull last night, SA is right at 5.5#, DA at 9.5#, but both feel lighter. One thing worth noting, the recoil spring in this thing is STOUT, it takes some serious effort to rack the slide, nothing else I have is even close. Is that normal, or has someone installed a heavier spring at some point? As to the SRT, the slide slides right off without having to decock, so I'm guessing it's stock, maybe I just got lucky :cool:. The other thing I noticed when fondling it last night, it's pretty much bone dry, clean, but no lube to speak of. Will be rectifying that shortly, I suspect a little grease and oil with free things up a bit. Doesn't look like I'll be making it to the range this week, but will post more when I do. Later.

Dave

for the beginning Sig fan, the '220-10' is the venerable 220 frame with suitable upgraded engineering to handle the 10mm pressures.

Available in either the DA/SA version, or as the "Hunter" model in SA only.

In black or 415002271_1.jpg

visualizing this smooth finish in hand while faced ;)with tusk & fang close at hand rather unsettles my own notion of 'field use' as well....wonder how they compare in other non-cosmetic qualities?

If you don't have that beautiful finish, how else will you see your hand cannon laying in the grass after the apex predator dramatically knocks it from your hand just before you fire? There will then be the inevitable hand-to-claw struggle as you're forced to crawl to your only means of defense to end the brutal conflict between man and nature. If that bright stainless slide wasn't gleaming in the brush, you'd never see it and would quickly become cougar poop. Or maybe I've seen too many movies like The Revenant. ;)

That's how I justify the marks of a pretty gun often taken afield. I'll be handing over well worn guns to my heirs, not pristine examples fresh from the safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top