JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Congrats on getting out into the woods. There is something special about spending the day outdoors, even if it is nasty weather - like today.

A couple of things I wanted to mention based on your questions.

First, good quality footwear is a must. I totally understand budgets being what they are, but footwear is one area I would not try and skimp. I wear Danner Loggers in the woods, and I absolutely love them. They have never let me down, and keep my feet dry even when I have crossed streams in them. I think I pad around $220 for them, but after several years, they have proven to be well worth the money. I should also mention that I treated mine with Huber's shoe grease, which is available at Bi-mart for about $5. It helped to break in the leather and to waterproof them. I can't find my can of shoe grease or I would treat them again. Most people treat them once a year or so.

Second, in my humble experience, blacktails prefer to move around in rainy weather. Case in point, last weekend on opening day, we saw exactly zero deer, at least during hunting hours. We did almost hit three with my truck on the way out, but it was after dark. Opening day was sunny and warm. Fast forward to today, we saw several in the same area, at least 7 this morning. It was completely opposite of last Saturday. By the way, my partner and I both filled our tags with bucks. I got a three point, and he got a spike. Meat in the freezer!

Lastly, the worst day in the woods is better than the best day at work, so enjoy!

You made a comment about your Boots leaving something to be desired. I'd like to suggest you think about a pair from L.L.Bean from back in Maine. They make an excellent pair of Boots which I think are called Guide but I don't have a catalog in front of me, so... They are a Rubber on the bottom and up the foot with a Leather upper. You'll get a lot of use out of them in this country.

The next thing I'd suggest is that you see if you can find a Partner to Hunt with. I spent a lot of years in SAR and I can tell you that it's not a good idea to go out in the field alone. It's Way too easy to get turned around out there and if you are all alone and have not told someone just where you are going and when you will be back. Telling someone is Suggestion Number 3.

Suggest number 4 would be to consider Carrying(concealed would be best) a handgun because the most dangerous animal in the Woods is the Two Legged Kind. But, if you have never done that before then you really need to get some training FIRST!

The next thing I'd suggest is that you see if you can find a Partner to Hunt with.
+1 on the going out with some one PREFERABLY some one that is already comfortable in the ways of woodcraft or at least some one that knows THOSE WOODS.
The failure of gear is a constant companion of those that go into the wild UN LESS YOU HAVE TRUSTED FRIENDS THAT HAVE TRUSTED GEAR . Even then gear fails so set out with a plan to over come a vita equipment failure.
Best of luck on taking some meat home!

Im hunting the Santiam unit for the deer. Not much for clear cuts but I think I've found a few good open areas out there that could be good spots to post up. One is up on a plateau. I might just hold up there for an hour or two then try another spot.

I know the white tails are off limits (At least I'm pretty sure thats what I read) but mule deer and BT should be good to go.

I purchased some really cheap walmart boots that said "water proof" I'll try them out until I can find another pair of quality boots I like. Also got some better gloves and a good hat. I do keep hearing a recurring trend about foot wear being important i will make sure to invest in some good boots.

I have not done much for sent. I see this stuff you can spray at the store thats meant to remove sent but I have not gotten it yet. Guess everyone says these little guys really can smell. I'll check wind and place my self over looking the clearing with the wind to my face.

It is also supposed to rain pretty good tomorrow so maybe it will be better for me to kick over some bushes... Well see. Cause I didn't see any droppings in the last place I was hanging out at.

Last Edited:
Congrats on getting out into the woods. There is something special about spending the day outdoors, even if it is nasty weather - like today.

A couple of things I wanted to mention based on your questions.

First, good quality footwear is a must. I totally understand budgets being what they are, but footwear is one area I would not try and skimp. I wear Danner Loggers in the woods, and I absolutely love them. They have never let me down, and keep my feet dry even when I have crossed streams in them. I think I pad around $220 for them, but after several years, they have proven to be well worth the money. I should also mention that I treated mine with Huber's shoe grease, which is available at Bi-mart for about $5. It helped to break in the leather and to waterproof them. I can't find my can of shoe grease or I would treat them again. Most people treat them once a year or so.

Second, in my humble experience, blacktails prefer to move around in rainy weather. Case in point, last weekend on opening day, we saw exactly zero deer, at least during hunting hours. We did almost hit three with my truck on the way out, but it was after dark. Opening day was sunny and warm. Fast forward to today, we saw several in the same area, at least 7 this morning. It was completely opposite of last Saturday. By the way, my partner and I both filled our tags with bucks. I got a three point, and he got a spike. Meat in the freezer!

Lastly, the worst day in the woods is better than the best day at work, so enjoy!

Thats pretty awesome! Congrats on the deer. I did see 4 deer on my way home today my self think they were just does and little guys. Were you out over a CC on your guys bucks?

When you are still hunting (oddly enough, still hunting is hunting on the move), keep your rifle in your hands and not slung on your shoulder. And when you think you are going slow, go slower. Get low and use your binoculars to take apart everything. Sometimes a "bush" will blink at you.

How come people say to not glass with your scope? If I don't have binoculars can I use my scope?

I have not done much for sent. I see this stuff you can spray at the store thats meant to remove sent but I have not gotten it yet. Guess everyone says these little guys really can smell. I'll check wind and place my self over looking the clearing with the wind to my face.
I wouldn't trust anything spray-on you have to get the existing scent out first, all I do is wash my hunting clothes only with unscented detergent and use unscented deodorant.

How come people say to not glass with your scope? If I don't have binoculars can I use my scope?

because someone could be down there and people dont take guns aimed at them lightly. You think you see something moving and scope it out and it turns out to be a hunter, not cool.

Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense. I as a fellow person in the woods would not want a person doing that to me. I will not be using my scope for anything but targeting deer.

Ill also get some non-scented detergent.

All this info and my first experience today i feel has really been a big help. Learning some do's and don'ts and getting good tips on where and how to find deer and proper woods edict.

If you dont have binoculars then only use your bare eyes until you positively identify a deer. The idea with binoculars is you spend the entire time scanning the area slowly with them looking in detail between trees, brush, logs watever looking for that tip of an antler or the twitch of an ear. You cant do that for long with a rifle you will fatigue out. Probably the single most important piece of gear for hunting is a good set of binoculars.

Im hunting the Santiam unit for the deer. Not much for clear cuts but I think I've found a few good open areas out there that could be good spots to post up. One is up on a plateau. I might just hold up there for an hour or two then try another spot.

I know the white tails are off limits (At least I'm pretty sure thats what I read) but mule deer and BT should be good to go.

I purchased some really cheap walmart boots that said "water proof" I'll try them out until I can find another pair of quality boots I like. Also got some better gloves and a good hat. I do keep hearing a recurring trend about foot wear being important i will make sure to invest in some good boots.

It is also supposed to rain pretty good tomorrow so maybe it will be better for me to kick over some bushes... Well see. Cause I didn't see any droppings in the last place I was hanging out at.

Yes, Columbia Whitetail are (AFAIK) still off limits. You have about as much chance seeing one near Mt Hood as you have of seeing a wolverine.

I was referring to the Eastern Whitetail. Compared to Blacktails, those deer run like clockwork. Blacktails will frequent certain routes, but are much more fickle. Patterning them is not as easy as patterning the Eastern Whitetails. It is almost impossible without game-cameras. So good luck on public lands.

WRT scent, grab a bottle of basic doe scent, and a squeeze powder for the wind. Sometimes you think the wind is in your face, but it ain't. Drops of scent on your boots, pant leg bottoms, and the sweatband of your hat, refreshed regularly throughout the day.

If you see some deer/elk scat, step in it real good. That's free boot-scent.

Step it poo. GOT IT!

So far my plans have gone slightly sideways. Seems like a large storm blew through last night and there is a bit of trees knocked around and on the road. I was able to move one set but the last one that just happened to be blocking the one road that connects to the other side and she wasn't going any where. So it's about 9:30am and I'm still driving (Got up at 6). I've scouted another area that's further and hopefully acessable.

I'm assuming it's already too late but hey if I get an hour in each CC I'll be happy.

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Good Luck!

There have been some very good suggestions made and I have to hope you at least think about them.

PS: Another item to add to your vehicle is a decent chainsaw. You may Not need it going in(in fact, I wouldn't recommend you use one going in) but they can be very, very handy when it's time to go home! The weather has been known to change around here fairly quickly.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Growing up and hunting the Oregon coast I would glass the edge of clear cuts leading into timber during windy days. The wind seemed to push the deer just into those outer edges. Also watch areas as the sun begins to hit and warm them as it raises in the morning (especially after a rainy night).

Naked celebrities notwithstanding, the air trapped in wool socks will keep feet warmer when wet. Quality leather was the way to go but expect high maintenance, and will be ruined with anything resembling a fast try. If leather is used go with anothers recommendation here and use Huberd's Shoe Grease warm the boots first and work it in with hands using an old toothbrush for the seams and sole edge. expect no more than 30 hours in heavy rain or saturated brush and 8 or less in the snow as it is abrasive. I have used everything including bear fat and for the price it works best without messing with the leather. If Snow only, go with Snow Seal (wax based) but pile it on thick after its cooled down from the warm rub. (every night) Snow seal keeps the leather stiff so only good for boots you want to stay stiff like Vasque or other stiff climbing boots. Sorrels are a great thing to have but heavy and hot so reserved for below freezing and snow. Sweating is your enemy when cold. Gortex are light and dry when taken care of and perfect for Oregon when the weather is just at or above freezing. I keep a pair of knee high gaiters (also mentioned by another here) in my truck with my rain pants. They will not only keep the water from entering your boots (my feet do not like boots over 7" high) but protect your leathers except for the toe and lower edges. and keep your legs warm (wear long socks and blouse your pants before putting them on) I even use them in the fall where the cockleburs are a plenty so I don't spend the twilight hours picking them off my socks, pants and shoe laces. For expected trips farther from your truck take an extra pair of wool socks in your pack. If your wet feet don't need them they may be handy as mittens to warm your match striking frozen fingers. Get a small light weight pack. albeit I wear cargo pants and can get most the stuff I take in them, stuff banging around your legs gets old real fast and sometimes hard to keep quiet, plus it is a grab and ready to go thing each time you leave the truck.
As for deer. the most productive legal hour times are (generalization) dawn to about ten am and four or five pm till dark.
Good weather; deer move and eat at night. Snooze or bed down in a sunny spot during the day with multiple quick exits. Nasty weather seek dry spots under heavy cover. Extended heavy weather when no moon or stars out at night, they will keep moving around feeding during the day and nervous at night because seeing and smelling is troubling then. They nap only getting fatigued.
A lot of activity will throw them off their routine paths and habits. Hunting with the slow and stop move, in the bush during mid day hours, loose the sling to your pack and keep the rifle at the low ready or you will miss the jump shot when you kick them out of bed.
Besides a map and compass, take mental or written notes of your major directional traverse noting in particular major landmarks and roads. Such notation is of particular importance when adrenalin starts in while in pursuit of game just sighted . They like to 360 encircle you (depending on cover about 4 to five hundred yard diameter if not other pressure factors to consider, easily turning you around mentally without noticing, so stay calm if you can, and be aware of directions.
Take time to soak up the other flora and fauna present and maybe take a picture or to for the memory.
Pack out your candy and sandwich wrappings and bury or cover your Sh1t paper please.
Good luck.

I have been spending a lot of time in the Wilson unit. Usually not hunting. Been surveying shooting spots with ODF.

I'll tell you right now. When you think your alone. Your likely not.

Camo is great, but orange is better. I'd rather be seen by a dear than not seen by a trigger happy hunter. Also know the areas popular shooting areas, a hunter was shot just the other week by target shooters.

Pack an extra set of underwear, socks and shoes. Even if your shoes and pants keep out the rain, you'll sweat in them all day. A quick change back at the truck or car after a day in the woods feels amazingly better for the drive home. I even pack a change of socks with me as I tend to sweat in them on the way to a place to sit. Swap them once at my place of waiting. As you can see, dry feet are important to me.

As for actual hunting tips:

Spend a day or two in the same area. Just because you didn't see anything one day, the buck will likely walk on by the moment you leave.

Black tail are practically nocturnal. Sometimes walking around in the brush in the middle of the day means you might actually stumble on top of one. I have. Scared the crap out of me, and again, I wasn't even hunting.

Bring a book. Sit and read. Draw if that's your thing. Stay in one place for a few hours. Especially if there is fresh poop around.

Get a smaller gun. Unless your devoted to hunting clear cuts only. The brush sucks for long barrels. My first year out in Oregon I ate it at least 4 times from my 22" barrel sticking up into something while brushing it.

Ticks suck. Bring a kit. Check yourself before getting into your car.

Other than that have fun. Any day I spend in the woods is better than just about most things I do. I don't hunt much anymore, I spent two days off the north side of McGregor and called it a season.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but get yourself a topographical map that will sure help you locate spots that are accessible and money well spent in my opinion.

most of the deer i have killed have been from me sitting still for hours glassing a hillside or meadow and they move infront of me. only a few times have i snuck up on one or had 100% pure dumb luck

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top