JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, this is a bummer story. I live in unit 43. Plenty of deer, and I have access to good private land. I filled my buck tag the last 2 years. This year my oldest daughter turned 12. She is excited for her first hunt and I'm excited to take her. In filling out the choices, I started her accumulation of points by putting some high value youth hunts in first, with our unit last, at least I thought. Some hunts cover mutiple units in our area and I put down 144, apparently thinking it included our unit. But it doesn't. Now, it isn't an incredibly long drive, but it is almost all private land and I don't know a soul in that unit. Basically Condon to Heppner.
I called ODFW and asked if there was anything they could do for my daughter since it was her first year hunting. Basically, "your fault not ours" was their response. I've been meaning to call my state rep and see if he can help, but I'm not hopeful.
So, if anyone lives or knows anyone in Unit 44 and would be willing to help me out, I would be really grateful.
On the bright side, she did draw a doe tag for our unit so she won't come up completely empty handed.

Steven

Don't know them anymore, but the folks are Mid-Columbia Bus Company in Condon are good peeps. Might give em a call and ask if they know anybody that would be willing to let your girl hunt her first deer there.

Note: it's not important but I used to install their radio comms for them out of the radio shop in La Grande. Was there for the Challenger explosion. (The first shuttle loss.)

bb

if it comes down to it, theres a "spattering" of public BLM land in that unit. Few years ago I scouted them, incredibly beautiful place and I jumped up a few deer and pronghorn. The pockets of BLM land there are not big, but also not popular... if you have it to yourself its much much larger than it looks on the map. ....and if you are good with navigating the open country, knowing the property lines, and glassing... you'll find a deer.

(all public land to the left of the fence)
1690424114467.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads