JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the moment I don't have a hunting partner but I am attempting to find one. I have a compass, 3 flash lights and a paper map I carry with me. That is also a reason I wish to not travel far into the woods or really into heavy foliage.

Hunting buddy can be pretty important, not to mention helpful if your trying to drag something out of the woods. :) Good luck finding one! Map and compass with proper knowledge is great. I also carry two pocket GPS, one old cheap one I picked up at a pawn shop for $30 and a newer one with maps. I got turned around once and it was the worst day of my life. I probably overpack now but for me its worth it.

If you pack a GPS you might want to think about an extra power pack. I've found that if you have things with you then you are likely Not to need them.:)

Great stories and advice everyone!

I'm thinking about dipping out of work right now and getting up the mountain by about 6 for maybe some dusk hunting action.

Called the butcher and they said if I get one to just keep it cool till tomorrow then bring it in. I've watched a bunch of videos about field dressing and well see what happens when I actually get there.

Cool story about the opening first day deer spot. I didn't get anything that lucky!

I had some friends of friends once regale me with tales of their journey of adventure when they discovered just how much effort it took the 4 of them to haul a bull elk 4 miles back to camp....much of it literally up the slope they ignored hiking down...... Good luck out there.

I had some friends of friends once regale me with tales of their journey of adventure when they discovered just how much effort it took the 4 of them to haul a bull elk 4 miles back to camp....much of it literally up the slope they ignored hiking down...... Good luck out there.

After my experience last year, that's the first thing I think about now. Whenever I look at a new spot I think to myself "if I kill a deer here, will I be able to haul him out on my own?" Especially important this year when the two guys I can count on to help me are out of state far away.

After hauling an elk out in a lowly 1.25 miles in deep timber in a heavy coastal monsoon till 1am I bought an eblerstock frame pack designed to haul heavy loads of elk quarters.
Mainframe Pack

as for deer Ive never had to quarter and pack them just dragged them by their antlers although it was frustrating the ones I had to get out of a clearcut Ive never spent till 1am getting a deer out just a few hours or so.

Well I tried another spot toady. I jetted out after work and got setup by about 5:45pm. Was on station for about 30-45 minutes before the 30 min after sunset kicked in and had too leave. I know i'm not giving my self much time but I consider this "scouting" with a gun.

I will say it's quite the B to find good places to set up. This time I wasn't stopped by any fallen trees but a damn gate! Had to pick a second spot quick close by. It was under some power line clear cuts. Not the best but it works I guess. Didn't see anything except a doe I think on my way back in my car. I sure seem to see them when I drive.

Good advice on being careful where ya shoot the deer. I'm not in the worst shape but hauling some 100lbs of animal sounds like no easy chore.

Nice to be out doors more tho.

I've got about 130 acres of private land lined up in the Hood unit to hunt for Elk season so on the 25th I might be switching over to try some of that instead. It will be nice not having to drive as far in order to reach the Santiam unit.

Well I tried another spot toady. I jetted out after work and got setup by about 5:45pm. Was on station for about 30-45 minutes before the 30 min after sunset kicked in and had too leave. I know i'm not giving my self much time but I consider this "scouting" with a gun.

I will say it's quite the B to find good places to set up. This time I wasn't stopped by any fallen trees but a damn gate! Had to pick a second spot quick close by. It was under some power line clear cuts. Not the best but it works I guess. Didn't see anything except a doe I think on my way back in my car. I sure seem to see them when I drive.

Good advice on being careful where ya shoot the deer. I'm not in the worst shape but hauling some 100lbs of animal sounds like no easy chore.

Nice to be out doors more tho.

I've got about 130 acres of private land lined up in the Hood unit to hunt for Elk season so on the 25th I might be switching over to try some of that instead. It will be nice not having to drive as far in order to reach the Santiam unit.

Don't be so quick to drive to another clear cut due to downed log or gate, if you can't get around most other people can't either.
Get out and walk the road to a clear cut or meadow.
Deer use roads just like we do and if given the opportunity will take the easiest route.
Be patient and enjoy some alone time in the woods with your rifle. Before you know it you and a nice buck will cross paths.

a buddy years ago took a portable chain saw winch & wheeled gizmo for his elk; seemed like a good idea that provided lotsa fail in actual use. He forgot the cliff part he scurried down....

Great advice here. I go a different route with footwear. I wear fabric army boots and don't even attempt to keep my feet dry. Wool socks over cotton socks, feet get went and I just don't care. The caveat is it's never for more than 2-3 hours at a time and I always have a towel, dry socks and footwear on hand. I am also not hunting in extreme cold- I would take a different approach for that.

I have a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Original-MuckBoots-FieldBlazer-Hunting-Boot/dp/B000WH625S/

There are number of things I love about them:
  • They come <b>off</b> with zero trouble. Many boots are a struggle to remove. (these are also easy to put on).
  • I can wade through an 8-9" deep stream and stay dry.
  • The sole is more flexible than on many rubber boots, making it easier to walk quietly.
  • The top part of the boot is snug but flexible -- it doesn't flop around like stiffer rubber boots, making it easier to walk quietly.
  • They stick to wet rocks pretty well.
I bought about two sizes up so I can wear extra socks for warmth -- my feet don't flop around inside despite the larger size. I tried on Lacrosse and some other brand I can't remember and both of those, even two sizes large, were amazingly difficult to take off.

Saturday the 21st was the worst f*#+in day. When I checked the rainfall amounts for the 48 hours that included Friday, it was near 4" where I was. Like I said, it was the worst f*#+in day for anything, except for hunting Blacktails!
Whoever said the bucks don't move around in the rain was, in my opinion, was full of BS. If it's time for them to be finding the does the weather isn't going to make any difference. When it's raining like it was Saturday, you can move carefully around without being heard and the rain does a wonderful job of squelching your scent. On our 100 acre chunk I saw three does about 2pm and a nice forkie about 45 minutes later that had no clue I was there. I just wasn't "quick enough on the draw" to get a shot off before he stepped down the hill, out of sight. Honestly, I don't see very many deer when I'm sitting and have better luck when I'm moving around so the rainy days are my favorites.

There are a few books out there about Blacktail hunting, but the one I read was more about bragging, than helping me learn. Be forewarned, Blacktail bucks, especially trophies, are regarded as one of the hardest to hunt animals. Ever. Anywhere.
Get yer butt out and spend some time in the woods. Look for paths thru the brush and ferns, especially ones with freshly torn up dirt. Learn what rubs on trees and scrapes on the ground look like. Look at aerial views (google earth isn't bad) and try to get the idea of the lay of the land. I really like getting into an drainage that has limited access, but since I don't have horses, that means a loooooong day, longer if something good happens. If you plan on hunting like this, buy a good pack frame.:D Years ago we carried my first buck out one mile on a pole, like you would see natives carrying a tiger. Not a good idea. Good thing he was little. (Man, I wish I had pictures of that!)

I have some decent pants and coat that are waterproof fleece. They work well but shirt sleeves can wick in moisture. My boots are leather, waterproof Danners. They are too heavy, but they have wonderfully strong soles and protect my feet well.
If I can ever find a truly waterproof, warm pair of gloves, I'll be set! Seems to me like "waterproof" means the water will get in, but will never get back out.:confused:

Yeah, Saturday was sh!tty, but it was great!

I wear Danner Loggers in the woods, and I absolutely love them. They have never let me down, and keep my feet dry even when I have crossed streams in them. I think I pad around $220 for them, but after several years, they have proven to be well worth the money. I should also mention that I treated mine with Huber's shoe grease, which is available at Bi-mart for about $5.

Lastly, the worst day in the woods is better than the best day at work, so enjoy!

I forgot about the Hubers! I use it, too. Great stuff.

I misjudged what the weather was going to do this morning. If I'd thought it was going to be like it is, wet and gray, I would have gone out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top