JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So today I had my first day in the woods.

Over the past few days I had been watching videos and reading forums learning the basics of hunting. Things like field dressing a deer, decision making, animal anatomy for humane quick kills. I then got a general Buck tag for Oregon plotted out a location using maps and other services and headed out this morning.

The weather was really terrible rain coming in sideways and it wouldn't really let up. My plan was to head down a Forest Road and get out and hike around. I feel like I had prepared my self gear and planning wise as best I could for a first time (I understand some people scout for weeks or months before a hunt, even on a specific buck they want). I had planned to only go for the day but brought sleeping bags, MRE's, a tent, and plenty of camping gear in case of any issues. Lots of water and was sure to send my family and GF the planned location and route I was going to take with a return time.

Mostly what happened was I got to the end of the road grabbed my riffle and trucked in the woods about 100 -200 yards. I sat around for about 30 min and moved a little then sat around again. I'll be honest I didn't see a single thing except 2 birds the whole time. I had read that deer don't move much in the rain and it was around 12pm which I understand is when they are already bed down. I do remember someone saying that deer like sticking around heavy foliage and streams during rain so thats where I headed but still didn't see much.

I learned some things about my gear tho. My German military surplus Gore-Tex works... Like wow that stuff kept me amazingly dry. Boots failed pretty bad they water logged hard and i'll have to figure out some better boots. My great grandpa's 30-06 with 4X Lyman seemed to hold up fine after it's cleaning. Gloves need some improvement but they didn't fair too bad.

Over all I'd say I had planned decently (Can always plan more I know). Got out to the woods and got to test some of my gear in a pretty rough environment with a deer tag in my pocket. I maybe stayed out for only around 2-3 hours.

Some question I have for the more experienced of the bunch:

What are some things I can do better to increase chances of seeing deer?

Is this rainy weather I had and the time of day just not good hunting?

I have been told ambushing on a game trail is good for when you first start out, how do you find a game trail? Will they be close too roads?

Where do deer like to hang out? <-- probably a million dollar question! happy0157.gif

Any words of encouragement/criticism or tips/advice are appreciated!

Good job!

Blacktail hunting in the PNW is the most difficult of all regions for deer, elk, and bear. BT bucks have habbits but not patterns like Whitetails....they will be cruising the does any day now..

Next week, look for scrapes on ridge lines, in long stretches of vine maples, or carefully glass the deep ferns if you wanna hunt in wooded areas.

By far, the most successful BT hunters I know, glass the clear-cuts; they drive from one CC to the next to locate a buck....then and only then do they get out and go after them..some walk behind the gates (where allowed) and glass until they see a buck.

Going into the woods blind does produce #s of bucks, but a hunter is tieing down precious hours...my idea of a waste of time.

Open areas!

Thanks for the advice!

I was noticing the clear cuts were pretty tempting to look out over. They give you the most area to view. Is the recommendation to just sit glassing a clear cut for a few hours then move on?

high power line clear cuts were my favorite places when I hunted deer. Always a major deer trial that would cut across from one side to the other.

Time management; the CCs with 6-10 high hemlocks take longer than CCs with the brand new trees.

Look mid and high in the draws; where they can lay down out of the weather.

Power lines doesn't bother the animals....

Google search for CCs in sattilite mode is a good (great) prep tool.

Awesome thanks for the advice. When I was out today it felt like I was just wandering. I know people have all there special spots but it's nice to get some info on what too look for. At least now I'll start looking for some areas with some good CC and post up for a while and maybe move on if I see nothing.

glass those clearcut in the early mornings and evenings. In the mid- day hunt the heavy timber but find a spot with a clear shot with lots of fresh poop around and find a spot to hide and disappear and use your binos to glass the timber... after about an hour of silence one might get comfortable and try to move on or resume foraging. The brush can be overwhelming but if you stay above 2000' in the coast range its easier to move around and find elk trails that are well defined.

Awesome. I'm on google earth now plotting out the spots I want to try.

If you spot a buck do you try to stalk? Or just wait for a shot.

With my low experience I am leaning towards just posting up on a tree line on high ground over a clear cut and waiting for a shot. I don't think moving is in my skill envelope.

It's supposed to be another rainy day in the morning tomorrow which I hope doesn't effect their willingness to enter CC

If you spot a buck do you try to stalk? Or just wait for a shot.

wait for it. If you try to stalk he will bolt the second you move. I lost my chance last year this way... I was watching a doe in the heavy timber, she knew I was there on alert but does aren't as bright. if you see a doe like that there is often a buck with her but he will already be lying down hiding or will bolt. I stayed kneeling for 20 minutes scanning for an ear, or antler tip all around her but nothing. Finally I decided to move on assuming it was just a single doe, as soon as I moved a few feet to her right the buck bolted exactly straight away fast as lightning.

I have found out on the last couple successful blacktail hunts the most activity is around 7:30am for me, they come out to feed a bit. Unless it's a clear full moon night, then it's a little later the next morning, closer to 9. I am assuming they are up later at night feeding or...? I like being on the edge of a clear cut and with my range finder mark a few specific landmarks to make sure I know my yardage and keep those to memory so it becomes second nature and I don't second guess myself when I only have a second on a good shot. I typically don't do a lot of evening hunting. But I do take the long way back to the truck in the late morning through the thick stuff to try to kick something up.

Wow they really are adept at seeing you. My tag is just forked bucked. But just to see a deer period and have it not be running from my car while I come down the road would be really cool.

I have found out on the last couple successful blacktail hunts the most activity is around 7:30am for me, they come out to feed a bit. Unless it's a clear full moon night, then it's a little later the next morning, closer to 9. I am assuming they are up later at night feeding or...? I like being on the edge of a clear cut and with my range finder mark a few specific landmarks to make sure I know my yardage and keep those to memory so it becomes second nature and I don't second guess myself when I only have a second on a good shot. I typically don't do a lot of evening hunting. But I do take the long way back to the truck in the late morning through the thick stuff to try to kick something up.

I'm going to try and get me some new boots tonight at wally mart (better than nothing) and leave my area in the Columbia gorge by 5:30am. Should put be out there around 7:00am and set up by a CC.

Is parking my car and just walking off the road a good 50 yards and setting up acceptable or should I really be hiking in more and around?

I really don't want to be getting to crazy one the first few hunts especially by my self. But I can do whats needed if I plan it out properly and feel comfortable and safe.

I'm going to try and get me some new boots tonight at wally mart (better than nothing) and leave my area in the Columbia gorge by 5:30am. Should put be out there around 7:00am and set up by a CC.

Is parking my car and just walking off the road a good 50 yards and setting up acceptable or should I really be hiking in more and around?

I really don't want to be getting to crazy one the first few hunts especially by my self. But I can do whats needed if I plan it out properly and feel comfortable and safe.

Depending on your budget I got these boots and they are awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Ques...508645292&sr=8-4&keywords=salomon+mens+hiking

Keep my feet dry and very comfortable for all day hiking. Also good socks are a must to keep blisters away as well!

I would try to get to your spot by 7 at the latest and also get a good headlamp that has red lights on it. Deer cannot see the red light in my experience. Also be aware of which way the wind is blowing. It may change which way you want to walk up to the CC.

Last Edited:
You made a comment about your Boots leaving something to be desired. I'd like to suggest you think about a pair from L.L.Bean from back in Maine. They make an excellent pair of Boots which I think are called Guide but I don't have a catalog in front of me, so... They are a Rubber on the bottom and up the foot with a Leather upper. You'll get a lot of use out of them in this country.

The next thing I'd suggest is that you see if you can find a Partner to Hunt with. I spent a lot of years in SAR and I can tell you that it's not a good idea to go out in the field alone. It's Way too easy to get turned around out there and if you are all alone and have not told someone just where you are going and when you will be back. Telling someone is Suggestion Number 3.

Suggest number 4 would be to consider Carrying(concealed would be best) a handgun because the most dangerous animal in the Woods is the Two Legged Kind. But, if you have never done that before then you really need to get some training FIRST!

I do have a CCP for the state of Oregon but I was not aware that there was a large danger from others in the woods. I only expected issue from 4 legs. I understand the issues with accidental shootings tho.

At the moment I don't have a hunting partner but I am attempting to find one. I have a compass, 3 flash lights and a paper map I carry with me. That is also a reason I wish to not travel far into the woods or really into heavy foliage.

regarding boots, I have ruined a couple pair of nylon breatheable goretex hiking boots in the coast range and they are expensive. These boots are typically well made but its the native blackberry vines that grow on the ground are everywhere and trip you up like paracord snares and the nylon wont hold up against the small thorns. The grow profusely in and around clearcuts, exactly where you want to be. Ive found the only thing that holds up to them is a full hard leather goretex boot and they keep my feet dry. If its raining I wear gaiters with them or the water will wik down the socks after it soaks thru the pant if I'm stomping thru wet brush.

Ive never really ran into any problems with hunters in the woods over 30 years of hunting. Once some guy with a pistol was blocking a road with his truck and said nobody's going thru his partner was glassing some elk down the road, he wasn't asking... so we left. It was a public road but wasn't going to fight for it but thats my only iffy story. Still, some say the woods are safer than the city but I say your a long ways from help if you even have cell reception at all and thats really this issue IMO.

50yds its quite acceptable only if there is deer in the area. I tend to hike around to find out where the deer are, tracks and rubs are good but the key is to find an area with lots of fresh droppings... set up there cause thats where they are staying. Works the same for elk hunting its all about the fresh poop.
I didn't catch if you were hunting western cascades or the coast range but they are similar enough... If your not comfortable traveling off trail then don't, especially in the coast range but in the afternoon daylight skirt around the edges of some of the clearcuts and sometimes you'll find elk trails or other ways to quietly get in there away from the road and find a good spot to sit and watch the cut plus a view into the timber is a bonus. The deer will always be at the farthest end of the cut from the road... so it seems anyways, so finding a spot in the middle is ideal.

I'm comfortable with going off trail and hunt solo a lot so last year I bought my first PLB that lives in the bottom of my pack. Off trail or even just way out there on your own I realize I should have got one years ago. It doesn't keep you out of trouble and Ive never been in trouble (despite some of the places I've got into...) but its like wasting that money on a gun safe once you do you suddenly realize you should have done it years ago. Mine is a simple one just one button, if I cant crawl home SAR will know where I'm at, its registered in my name for life good anywhere in the world. Something to consider because the very nature of hunting puts you in some crazy remote places.

Which units are you hunting?

The High Cascades are the "Official Boundary" splitting Blacktails from Mule Deer. If you're west of the Pacific Crest, it will count as a Blacktail. If your east, it will count as a mulie. That said, there are MD on the west, BT on the east, and the occasional cross-bred little bench-legged fellas.

Mule Deer and Blacktail have some similarities in behavior. They resemble each other in habit more then either resemble Whitetails.

The basics: they will usually bed down in good cover during decent rains. This is the time to still-hunt and/or beat the brush. Once the rain lets up and the sky starts to lighten, they'll get up a move about a little. This is the time to sit tight and watch the edges of the cut units or established game trails.

Scent is one of the biggest giveaways for deer. Use good scent, and mind the wind.

If you're not hiking real far, save your money and invest in some cheap rubber "muck" boots and thick wool socks. They don't hold scent like leather boots, and your feet will be warm and dry, guaranteed.

If you come across some good track, remember to look up. Don't just follow the footprints. Understand the lay of the land and think of how he's moving. Following a ridge? Side hilling? Moving fast or slow? Is he leaving more than prints? And remember, the really fresh tracks have hooves in them.

When and if you spot a deer, count to 30 before doing anything. Nothing loses a deer faster than buck fever. Take a minute and enjoy the sight.

Good luck!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class