JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I was going to build from scratch, a bolt action, I would look at the 6.5's
6.5 Grendel just moves too slowly....never interested me.
6.5 Creedmoor is a nice package.
The giant .26 Nosler and 6.5 x 300 WBY ....nah.

Hornady recently took a Ruger Compact Magnum case and morphed it down to 6.5
That one would be fun...

If I was going to build from scratch, a bolt action, I would look at the 6.5's
6.5 Grendel just moves too slowly....never interested me.
6.5 Creedmoor is a nice package.
The giant .26 Nosler and 6.5 x 300 WBY ....nah.

Hornady recently took a Ruger Compact Magnum case and morphed it down to 6.5
That one would be fun...

What does it do significantly better than the 7mm-08 at 500 yards and less?

P

With the 7-08, you can sit down and have a sandwich while you wait for the hit.
So that's a nice feature.
Maybe I should take another look at that 7-08 ?

:)

:

You're way off.

Half a sandwich. Maybe a small hoagie, tops.

But seriously, folks, I get 3126 fps with 120 Ballistic Tips, 2890 with 140 Partitions, and 2790 with 150 ELDX. I get it, there's more overlap in cartridges than not, but I submit that inside of 500 yards nothing will know the difference between the newest whizbang and the 7mm-08.

Wait for it...

Someone is gonna say something about the 7x57...

P

7mm 08, that's what I've been thinking, how much more useful is the Grendel?

According to the most recent Nosler reloading guide, the 7mm-08 has significantly greater velocity in comparable bullet weights than all but the magnum 6.5 cartridges.

Better than the Grendel (by a lot), the Creed, the .260, and the Swede.

Plus, you can go heavy (162 gr) if you want.

P

According to the most recent Nosler reloading guide, the 7mm-08 has significantly greater velocity in comparable bullet weights than all but the magnum 6.5 cartridges.

Better than the Grendel (by a lot), the Creed, the .260, and the Swede.

Plus, you can go heavy (162 gr) if you
And they are not barrel burners

These are three different point of aim marks from the Ruger American Ranch with bulk reloads in 22.6gr IMR 3031 2.206" and 55gr Hornady soft points. They aren't fast and screaming, a low recoil, soft load that's fairly accurate.

I was shooting a target that was left on the range.

No weighing charges, letting the Lee Auto Disc Pro drop by volume.

The 100y target looks the same with group sizes. I was shooting as quickly as I could with 10 round magazines using a 3-9 Vortex Crossfire II.

While one can spend more, it's really hard to argue with the Ruger price point for what you get on top of accuracy out of the box.

This was my third? time shooting this rifle I believe.

C75B78E9-A8B0-4F19-B03A-A7131924FA64.jpeg

This by far is not my best groups, this was just plinking and burning through some rounds. It's not a target rifle, after all it only has a 16" barrel.

You're way off.

Half a sandwich. Maybe a small hoagie, tops.

But seriously, folks, I get 3126 fps with 120 Ballistic Tips, 2890 with 140 Partitions, and 2790 with 150 ELDX. I get it, there's more overlap in cartridges than not, but I submit that inside of 500 yards nothing will know the difference between the newest whizbang and the 7mm-08.

Wait for it...

Someone is gonna say something about the 7x57...

P

Why, is the 7x57 better?

Why, is the 7x57 better?

It's not better, they are just amazingly similar for being about 7-9 decades apart (Wildcat v SAAMI)

Ballistic twin to the Mighty -08.

Developed in 1892, so some would say the 7mm-08 is the newcomer. And redundant, to boot.

P

It is a newcomer, relatively speaking, but redundant...not IMO one fits a short action, one doesn't, that can be huge depending on the task a hand.

Help me understand the magnitude of the difference. My research indicates about half an inch overall and maybe three ounces.

P

If the object is to make a light weight rifle a short action will always have the potential to be lighter and shorter. On a production level that difference, admittedly, is minimal, but on a custom gun that difference can be made to be huge. I've posted before that 7mm-08 is a purpose specific caliber to me and that is the perspective I'm taking.

If the object is to make a light weight rifle a short action will always have the potential to be lighter and shorter. On a production level that difference, admittedly, is minimal, but on a custom gun that difference can be made to be huge. I've posted before that 7mm-08 is a purpose specific caliber to me and that is the perspective I'm taking.

Copy.

P

hey guys, I'm thinking about getting into bolt guns. I'm debating build one in .223 since I have a decent supply of it laying around. Where do I start? Good brands for parts? Would it be cheaper to just buy a pre built one? I enjoyed building my AR and AR pistol so that's why I'm thinking of building this too. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated
You can build one if you want to, find a decent BAT action $2000. Then say a Brux barrel $$350. Hire a gunsmith to mount the barrel on the action $400 +. Get a nice scope $600, and don't forget to put a good trigger in it $400 give or take $100.
Or you could just go buy a good Savage and put the same scope on it and you can do it all for about $800. That is if you are going for new stuff, but if you shop Cabella's or other retail outlets that deal in used guns you might find a good one for even less.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top