JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys, I'm thinking about getting into bolt guns. I'm debating build one in .223 since I have a decent supply of it laying around. Where do I start? Good brands for parts? Would it be cheaper to just buy a pre built one? I enjoyed building my AR and AR pistol so that's why I'm thinking of building this too. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated

Not like an AR where you can put one together with just a few tools. A barreled receiver is about where the average guy is able to start. From there you can customize it how you want it.

For the most bolt on options, the Rem 700 is king, but QC has slipped in recent years. Tikka makes great stuff, but I hate their stocks. Savage is great and Ruger American are good for budget rifles.

savage is pretty easy to put a barrel on and headspace it properly as they use a barrel nut to tighten the barrel to the receiver. i made my own barrel vice when i did a barrel swap.

seems to be waaaayyy more parts available for rem 700s though

Building a bolt action can be so much different than building an AR15. Most bolt action Rifles are not "modular", nor can they be put together like a lego house AR. You'll need many more tools and knowhow. Savage with their barrel nuts may be one exception to the rule though. I love working on bolt action rifles and ensuring they are going to shoot well, but actually building one. Good luck. As I was just saying on a different thread about cheap budget builds, you get a lot for the money now days and I'd lean toward one of those if I were looking for my first bolt action rifle. That or go way in the other direction and buy a pre 64 model 70. But "building" one? ok, I'm assuming you are a top notch gunsmith and probably wouldn't even be asking us for our opinions.. I may be wrong though..

For lack of more information, and taking into consideration that you like .225 and own AR's, then might I suggest the budget pleasing Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/223. The newer models take the AR mags, won't break the bank, and are plenty accurate.
There are lots of bolt guns I like better, but given what info you gave, this might be a good solution...

For lack of more information, and taking into consideration that you like .225 and own AR's, then might I suggest the budget pleasing Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/223. The newer models take the AR mags, won't break the bank, and are plenty accurate.
....and fun to shoot.

Ruger American Ranch 5.56 would be my first option.

Second is the Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

I have both, I prefer the Ruger with detachable magazines and it's just as accurate if not more than the Rem700. @tarster's pops was hitting torso steel at 350y on one knee on the 4th of July 2017 with the Ruger. I'd say that's more than enough.

Fine business. Next question I'd ask is: "What's your budget?"
One can spend 500 or 5000 on a rifle, so there's a lot from which to choose. :)

Oh, and what will likely be your preferred distance at the range?
50 yards, a .22LR might be fine.... 1000 yards, you might want a round with better MOA.

View attachment 532648
Savage Arms - MARK I FVT - P01175
Looking to stay somewhere between 6-800 as for distance it would be 150-300 yards most of the time. Seems like just buying one would be my best bet

Hard to beat a factory rifle. These Savage bolt guns are impressive.
Savage 12 FV 6.5 Creedmoor 26" $420.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: In stock
Savage® Arms 12 FV Bolt-Action Varmint Rifles : Cabela's
upload_2018-12-29_16-52-19.png

I would toss out the idea of a CZ 527 Carbine...they come in .223 and as I know from experience very accurate.
Best advice is to hit a gun show or shop and try many different rifles to see what fits and feels good to you

For something more in the general hunting class...its hard to go wrong with a rifle in
.30-06
I like rifles with a "Mauser Claw extraction"...but the older Remington model 700 and 721's are a fine rifle as well.
Other rifles i would suggest are :
Ruger 77
Husqvarna ( many models use the Mauser 98 action )
JC Higgins model 50 ( Sears branded rifle , commercial Mauser 98 rifle with a chrome lined bore )
Interarms Mark X ( Another rifle using a Mauser 98 action )
BSA "Monarch" and "Majestic" series of rifles
For about $800 -$1000 + you can get a Pre-64 Winchester model 70
Below is my JC Higgins model 50 in .30-06
Andy
DSC06725.jpg

Sign me up in the Tikka camp. I've shot Browning, Weatherby, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Remington, and Tikka.

I only buy Tikkas these days.

I bought this one used, .223 Rem. The guy who had it first worked up a load for Nosler's 64 grain Bonded Solid Base (BSB), then he listed it in the classifieds at 24hourcampfire.

image_zpsta00mfgi.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsupmbfwqw.jpg

I shoot this rifle more than all my others combined, which is saying something. Nothing is safe inside of 500 yards.

P

Last Edited:
Sign me up in the Tikka camp. I've shot Browning, Weatherby, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Remington, and Tikka.

I only buy Tikkas these days.

I bought this one used, .223 Rem. The guy who had it first worked up a load for Nosler's 64 grain Bonded Solid Base (BSB), then he listed it in the classifieds at 24hourcampfire.

View attachment 532716

View attachment 532717

I shoot this rifle more than all my others combined, which is saying something. Nothing is safe inside of 500 yards.

P
Wasnt ingwe's was it? Thats a beauty.

What makes the Remington model 700 better than the ruger American ranch? Sorry if I seem clueless haha never used bolt action rifles and I'm just looking to get into precision. Price wise I like the ruger but I also want a decent rifle that will have multiple purposes.

What makes the Remington model 700 better than the ruger American ranch? Sorry if I seem clueless haha never used bolt action rifles and I'm just looking to get into precision. Price wise I like the ruger but I also want a decent rifle that will have multiple purposes.

The 700 has a little better fit and finish but the Ruger is a shooter for sure. Like I said, the 700 has endless aftermarket support, but you can probably find what you want for the American.

Mine

Build Thread - Ruger American

Wasnt ingwe's was it? Thats a beauty.

Shortactionsmoker. He experimented with the BSB when they first came out, using Varget. Got sub-MOA and a hair over 3000 fps. When I saw it listed I bought it right now.

I'm using Benchmark and 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets for 3400 fps and accuracy I don't take pictures of anymore. The above pic is a five-shot group during load workup with 50 grain TTSX and TAC.

P

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top