JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most shops I've been to have been pretty decent to me except for the Discount Guns chain. Not to be confused with the real Discount Guns store.

Wades in Bellevue, Wa has fairly decent sales reps but their parts counter is abysmal. There is never anyone behind the counter, no bell, and no sign telling you that they are never coming out from behind the glass to help you. Stand there as long as you like, nobody will show. The folks at the sales counter a few feet away will not ask you if you need help. Apparently what you have to do is ask one of the salesmen to go get a parts guy, which they will be happy to do as soon as they finish helping this customer for the next half hour. Oh, and don't go thinking that they'll be right out after we go get them. :rolleyes: To be fair, they're making a lot more money selling that over-priced P90 to the starry-eyed tech guy who's going to shoot it once and tell everyone he has a gun from that movie. OK that might have been unnecessary. :p

The last time I was at Wade's several years ago was the "last" time I will go to Wades! Bought several guns there over the years. I found a nice used P226 for a reasonable price, offered to trade a barely used 629 and a never shot Kimber 1911, should be able to swap plus a couple boxes of ammo. Brought them in for appraisal and they wanted an additional $100 and no ammo. I walked out and went to my LGS in Ellensburg and made the original trade on a "new" P226.

The last time I was at Wade's several years ago was the "last" time I will go to Wades! Bought several guns there over the years. I found a nice used P226 for a reasonable price, offered to trade a barely used 629 and a never shot Kimber 1911, should be able to swap plus a couple boxes of ammo. Brought them in for appraisal and they wanted an additional $100 and no ammo. I walked out and went to my LGS in Ellensburg and made the original trade on a "new" P226.
They have great selection and most of their salesmen are decent and knowledgeable but I've never been impressed with their prices.

The best places anywhere near them are, going north, Low Price Guns, DJ's Loan & Sport, Precise Shooter and Lynnwood Gun. Adventure Sports good service and so-so price but they have powder. South of them, West Cost Armory is OK too, and of course the aforementioned Federal Way Discount Guns. The other Discount Guns is a chain with crap service and high prices. For big stores in the area, Sportsmen's Warehouse is better than Cabellas. Dicks closed a few years ago because, well... :rolleyes:

I tend to study internet reviews before visiting a store, but only with the intent to disprove or reaffirm what I've read.

Funny enough ALL of my transactions have taken place over at Northwest Armory down on McLoughlin Blvd in Milwaukie/Oregon.

I have had zero issues with doing my business there and I think my attitude/body language helps a lot. If I want to make a purchase, I walk up to the relevant sections' counter and stand there in the Interview Stance and look towards the staff. Almost every single time I do this, I get a staff member within a minute or two. Once they ask how they can help me I use specific language to tell them that I'm not a tire kicker. My go-to phrase is "I would like to inspect for purchase a X please". Every time I've gone in to purchase a firearm they respond well and courteously to my approach.

Now, I've perused wares over at Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor, and got completely ignored before. A couple of the guys in there kind of know me since I buy ammo from them often enough. But in general I don't like the attitude and almost snotty atmosphere in the guns section.

I've stood there waiting to get help from a staff member while 1 was on the phone for 20 minutes and the other was chatting up some Fudd who wasn't buying anything at all.

I have found that Money Market Pawn shop on Powell is a great place to do transfers, they are always friendly and though they aren't a gun shop they do carry quite a few firearms for a pawn shop plus their prices are very reasonable. I also have had nothing but good experiences at Sportsman's Warehouse on 82nd and Johnson Creek, they are always helpful, never rude (to me anyways) and they will tend to go the extra mile when it comes to finding the right firearms. Local small Gun Shops have been hit or miss, I used to love the Gun Broker on old 82nd but unfortunately its a massage parlor now. I like to order online but sometimes it's nice to have a lot of options right in front of you.

Just throwing this out for general discussion, I like to check out different firearms stores throughout the NW and I have noticed that fairly often I see a stand offish & not so friendly attitude from employees & owners I am just not to sure why this is, it seems like stores and our industry would have a much better result with a friendlier approach.
I have heard of & witnessed potential new customers just walk out because they feel intimidated, as a dealer myself I think it would help our case and our industry to make the customer feel comfortable and give as much guidance as possible especially if they are new to firearms.
Great post. And yes, i see it all the time. Cabelas, Keith's, the gunroom, and northwest armory are a few examples i can easily think of..

A good gun salesman needs to realize that he may be dealing with a total n00b when he/she starts the conversation.
And then tailor the conversation as the customer reveals his experience through his words or actions.
As soon as the gun salesman tries to dominate or belittle, he has revealed himself for the dooshbag that he is.
Book it.

Exactly. I was at sportsman's yesterday buying some rings for my new rifle and the guy behind the counter insisted i buy a rail and tactical rings for my set up. I said, im sorry, "why is it that i need a rail?" He said because the objective is too big for the medium set of rings i asked for. According to him, everything should have a rail. I said, are you sure they wont fit? He said yep. Then i proceeded to show him a picture of my rifle with the same rings, but borrowed from my CTR. They fit like a champ. I told him it would be wise to not open his yap, until he knew what he was talking about..

Maybe 10 years ago I walked into a gun shop and the owner was playing with a coach gun, and he pointed it at me and then went into some silly Old West persona. I think he thought he was being funny.
I think id'have yanked that coach outa his mitts and demonstrated a horizontal butt stroke!
A lot of small businesses are run by people who have a lot of technical knowledge, but no people skills and zero business acumen. This is a fantastic recipe for working 60 hours a week and never getting ahead.

Try working with a radio customer that won't understand why he can't talk over his two-way to somebody on the other side of the mountain and tells you that you are lying when you explain the physics of radio wave propagation. Try giving the results of a home inspection to the buyers when the buyers have allowed the seller to sit right there and argue with every finding. I never had problems after a calm statement of the facts.

There is always a way to phrase things so as not to offend most sensible people. Most that can't do it are too egotistical, too wrapped up in their own feelings to realize it is a job performance factor, or too lazy to think of a pleasant way to state something. At the very least a salesman needs to speak neutrally. That doesn't mean you let people misbehave or mistreat you.

I agree with you on most points but wish to add: Common sense isn't. There are plenty of customers that will take out their frustrations on a CSR precisely because they have no interest in the facts or know that most employees will take the abuse rather than risk losing their jobs.

Dealing with extreme customers requires quality training, training CRS costs money. Many companies these days seem to farm out their "training" on customers, turning out employees that are often under supported, understaffed, underpaid and/or often not very knowledgeable about the company/products.

I see this trend particularity apparent at lower end companies like grocery stores, lowes/Home Depot and many restaurants. It seems to be the norm in some industries; seriously, finding an employee who can answer common questions at lowes/Home Depot can be quite difficult. Heck so is finding an employee sometimes.:confused:
Ehh... I guess what I'm trying to say is that the problem is not just the employees themselves but also the trend for companies to accept turning out employees that are often under supported, understaffed, underpaid and/or often not very knowledgeable about the company/products as acceptable business practice. I believe the much of the blame rests with employers who see this as an acceptable way to run a business. :s0008:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads