JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like yer talkin 'bout my ex!!;)

What about the days when all LE carried .32 revolvers. Those were notoriously inefficient, yet somehow those bobbies got the job done! :)

I'm remembering that a few members said they could load their .45LC up way past .44Mag level in a modern revolver. Large black powder cases are capable of new stuff! I'm also remembering an old, and I mean elderly, customer of mine carried a short barreled single action .45LC revolver, EDC under a leather vest, that he had used in two different incidents to kill two different men. I certainly wouldn't underestimate the power of that cartridge! I'd love to have a lever gun chambered in .45LC. Don't know why... I just would! As it stands now, I own a Judge Public Defender and a Circuit Judge long gun but have never shot .45LC in them since it tends to foul the cylinder for use with .410 shotshells. BTW, I bought the Circuit Judge for my wife when she was in the back bedroom office a lot doing the books for my biz. It's a five shot cylinder long gun and its carbine length points around the corner out into the main area nicely if she ever needed. 3" cylinder with Win PDX1 copper discs and BBs. Should do the job nicely at household distances. :):):)

I had never heard of anyone going past .44 Mag with it but I did see people work up loads for it that came close to 44 Mag that were for the Ruger S/A's in 45 Colt. Those were built so beefy you could safely get close. At the time I really never could understand why. Since the same gun could just be had in .44 mag and if they were already rolling, then they could Taylor the load to whatever they wanted. Not to mention the brass in those days was NOT rated for what they were doing. There was later some brass made for these guys, probably still is. When a couple makers were coming out with some 5 shot "belly guns" in both .44 Sp and .45 Colt I did like the idea. Still could not quite get why the .45 Colt though since the .44 Sp was far more common. Before they started making some reliable compact autos I had a few of the old Charter 5 shot 44's.Played with coming up with a set up I liked. Ended up with a Target Model, cut to 3", They made a dandy belly gun in a cartridge I liked. It was what got me rolling my own ammo as back then we could not mail order and normally there was only one factory load to be found, the old RNL for these.

Yes, I get it. Although I am still very much a newbie, I was always commended for doing my homework and knowing what I was looking for in a rifle at the gun store. With that said, the sales person usually acted like they could not be bothered for too long. If a sales clerk is that antsy, they don't want to sell a rifle bad enough!
All the better reason to move on to a different sales person or a different gun shop. Sales people with the "God complex" are not always the best face for any business.

I had a few of the old Charter 5 shot 44's

I always wanted one:

3213.jpg

I did like the ones I had back in the 70's. Heard that there was some spotty Q/A when they came back a couple times but at the price they sold for that's not rare. I bought the ones I was playing with used and a couple of them went through a lot of ammo and kept ticking along fine. They were alloy framed, the ones I had, which made them surprisingly light for the caliber too. Was never a wheel gun fan but at the time no one seems to have mastered making a sub compact auto in large caliber, that I wanted to bet my life on. Had a few Detonics .45 that I loved but never could get one to be 100%. Every time I thought I was there one would hang up for no known reason. Very rare but just enough to make me leery of trusting the damn things. So ended up with the .44's for when I would not carry a 1911. When showing the guns to other shooters many did a double take when they would see me dump the rounds out to show them the gun. :)

I'm not going to go through 6 pages of posts to see if this has already been brought up, and while I admit that there are certainly just crappy shops with crappy sales people, sometimes sales people react to the people on the customer side of the counter.

I have spent many years with either my own shop or working counters in other's shops. I love it. I love to talk guns. I spent a good portion of my adult life learning about building, shooting, and selling guns. I was always very cognizant of who my customer was and I tried to get to know their knowledge and needs before making recommendations.

Sometimes, however, there was a customer who came in with an attitude. Sometimes it was a know-it-all attitude, sometimes arrogance, and sometimes just plain rude.

And while the job is certainly to still treat them kindly and courteously, sometimes it's hard when someone's being an bubblegum.

I guess the lesson becomes this: avoid shops where counter people are jerks, but make sure that you don't take on the attitude that you dislike in others.

In my short stint working behind a gun counter, i was always amazed at all the various attitudes I would see come in! Most were nice folks, but you would always get tje weird ones and the occasional female flasher! I kid you not, about once a month some gal would come in and just have to have a loook behind the counter at all the over stock ammo, forgetting she left her undies at home, or wanting help with the shot shell cases on the very bottom shelf and the skirt rode up to show every thing! I dont know if tbis is a common thing in Gunshops, or if I was just in the right place at the right time, but it sure made for an intresting time!
Maybe its cause im such a good lookin feller who dosnt wear his wedding ring to work, IDK!:D:p:cool:

In my short stint working behind a gun counter, i was always amazed at all the various attitudes I would see come in! Most were nice folks, but you would always get tje weird ones and the occasional female flasher! I kid you not, about once a month some gal would come in and just have to have a loook behind the counter at all the over stock ammo, forgetting she left her undies at home, or wanting help with the shot shell cases on the very bottom shelf and the skirt rode up to show every thing! I dont know if tbis is a common thing in Gunshops, or if I was just in the right place at the right time, but it sure made for an intresting time!
Maybe its cause im such a good lookin feller who dosnt wear his wedding ring to work, IDK!:D:p:cool:

Back when we had one phone Co, and you had to have their Tech come to your home to do anything, this was far from uncommon. When a kid I knew a few guys who worked for the Phone Co. The normal day was home after home, going into move or install phones. The one said when some woman would answer the door in a robe he knew what was coming. Often would be flirting. On many if that did not get a bite they would just start to flash the guy. Bored house Wives mostly, back in the day when it was common for the Wife to stay home while the guy went to work every day.

Back when we had one phone Co, and you had to have their Tech come to your home to do anything, this was far from uncommon. When a kid I knew a few guys who worked for the Phone Co. The normal day was home after home, going into move or install phones. The one said when some woman would answer the door in a robe he knew what was coming. Often would be flirting. On many if that did not get a bite they would just start to flash the guy. Bored house Wives mostly, back in the day when it was common for the Wife to stay home while the guy went to work every day.
Maaybe I should get a job installing internet...o_O:D

You guys just don't know when you're well off. Everyone in our four LGS - staff and boss - is also a member of our gun club, so there's no chance is getting 'dissed' by the staff behind the counter - else you go somewhere else.

Even highly-regarded custom rifle builders here in UK, like Norman Clark, are members, and THE UK importer of Desert Tech Firearms is also a member. Respect here is a two way thing, and bearing in mind what we have to go through just to get a gun, you can bet that a lot of homework has been done on the range before the last step of actually purchasing a gun takes place.

After my favorite small gunshop informed me that a Caldwell bipod was as good as an ATLAS I switched to 90% internet purchases. They still get FFL transfers but that's about it. I ended up getting an ATLAS from Sawtooth up on Lacey but they are headed out of WA.
Caldwell isn't even as good as Harris, how would it be as good as Atlas?

NOW I finally know why the guys are having their coffee klatch at the LGS!!! See ya tomorrow guys... :D

One of my brothers was a Telco installer for GTE in Santa Ynez. He was called out to a big ranch, as he often was, this is stars and Reagan Ranch country. So he goes up to the door and Kelly LeBrock answers. He proceeds to go to the LV room to start tracking down the problem, and before he knows it, Steven Seagal is standing directly behind him, in my brother's space, having put the sneak on. Steven asks my brother if he wants Steven's wife... what are you supposed to say to that question that won't get you spun around, arm broken backwards, and slammed to the ground???? :eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

I should have noted that Caldwell makes a good bipod for the price. Atlas makes great bipods that are a little overpriced, but they are loaded with features that I desire so they get the nod.
Of course, but quality overall goes to harris and atlas over caldwell.

That being said, I'd rather buy a caldwell over a harris if its not one that's getting used a lot. Cause $100 or more for something I sometimes use isn't worth it imho.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top