JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
VERY well written! Anyone who deals with the public for work runs across A holes. I have to work with the public and run into my share. Normally I can let it roll off and deal with it. Now and then I have to use force in my job and when I have to, well it is what it is. Way too often a business goes under because they take the attitude that they are doing you a favor to deal with you. This is not a recipe for success. This does not mean kiss the butt of every jerk. It does mean try to treat the customer right. Goes a LONG way to making something work.

Thanx Brother!!

Glad the only force I ever had to use was to avoid being drowned while lifesaving. I've had a lot of unpleasant A-hole customers, but I had to suck it up an be pleasant no matter what. 30yrs of front counter work as part of my duties in a two-way radio shop, and 11yrs of very challenging home inspections, including two stints with the State of Oregon Home Inspection Advisory Committee (boy the public can be a rough bunch... no way to make everybody happy!!!).

I often tell people the fundamentals of customer service is basic human decency...
I don't know if that comes as a surprise to anyone, but I was surprised by how few people understand that notion.

So right young man! Has basic human decency gone the way of basic common sense???

And to this asking if they will price match what they found on the Internet....

I managed a small PC computer store in a rural town for a few years... customers were always asking that about our 'puters. I understood clearly why they asked, didn't take it personally, and informed them that they can buy it on the internet as cheap or cheaper than we could stock it for the store, but they won't get any customer service and if the community won't support us, then we (the store) won't be in biz when they need something repaired.

Last Edited:
The last several years, I have been really watching the local gun shops, how they handle the Female clients, (especially my Bride!) I have noticed the Good ones can work with any one regardless of sex, and they can keep their eyes above the neck! We find if the sales person or the manager or owner can talk to a woman in a kind and respectful manor and answer questions with out sounding like a parent talking to their 9 year old, things go a lot better for every one!

We have been in Shops ( Not just gun shops) where the staff cannot keep their eyes up, cannot speak with out sounding like a lecture or a parent talking to their kid, or swearing, and we turn around and walk! Lots of business from car dealers, clothing stores, shoe stores, and even gun shops have lost THOUSANDS in sales because the employee doesn't understand how to act around a Lady!
I can tell you, nothing will put off a Lady like some horn dawg that cannot stop staring at her chest, or following her around like some stalker, cannot speak in complete sentences, or with out a few swear words, and talks 'Down" to her like she doesn't know anything! I used to get mad, enough to say something loudly so the whole store could hear, but now I just smile and we walk out and I may mention that my Bride has a Platinum card with a very high limit and inability to not try and reach that limit every time it comes out!

I've just started reading this thread so perhaps what I'm about to post has been mentioned...

If the LGS employees including the owner btw or manager, demonstrate a poor customer attitude, before leaving I would politely inform them why I was leaving without buying.

I do mean politely too as it would go a long way in adjusting poor customer treatment.

Really now... Shirley you jest!!!:p;)

Sales folk dropping f bombs?

I'd speak to management.

Am I being a Pollyanna?

Nope, I cuss like a sailor, but there are 'no f bomb zones' and I adhere to them and sales folk, absolutely.

Yer killin me!!! The only time I've spoken to management was when I wanted something and the sales clerk yelled back to the mgr that "some guy" wanted to talk to her. So I told the mgr that I wasn't "some guy" but rather "a Gentleman". So what if I lied! They don't know me!!! :rolleyes:

If I'm by myself, and giving the stink eye doesn't work, I just leave... not worth having a confrontation. If I'm with my wife, I point out that there is a "Lady" from a different generation present, neither one of us appreciate that kind of language, and knock it the "F" off!!! ;);)

Last Edited:
I can tell you, nothing will put off a Lady like some horn dawg that cannot stop staring at her chest,

It's been said many a time that a Gentleman sees what he wants to see with a glance. That said, when ladies, esp younger ladies, dress in revealing clothes, my eyes bounce around like a pinball and I have to look somewhere else because it's still obvious I'm sure.

tenor.png

I've noticed this as well. As a small business owner myself, I've always thought maybe it was particular to the firearms industry but I could be wrong.

A couple of things I think about from the perspective of a business owner... small firearms businesses, by their nature do a lot of work that the internet based stores aren't required to do. For instance, you buy a firearm online, you have to have it shipped to a local FFL where they do all the paperwork, fingerprints, background check, etc. Now I understand they make a cut... but they also do a lot of work for the sale of an item that they didn't reap the profit from. That can be rather irritating since you have overhead to pay for out of your small cut. Also, as a small FFL you still must be competitive with your processing fees since other stores might do the same work.

Not sure why this runs through my head when purchasing firearms but I try to actually use that business for THEIR business and realize they probably made a lot of sacrifice to open up a local store so you could peruse their inventory. Just some food for though.

I think large or small store the counter help should have at least enough knowledge to clear and show safe every gun they handle. I was at the local Calbelas and wanted to look at the beretta Unos 22 for my wife. The counter girl pointed the pistol at me 5 times while pushing all the different buttons and levers trying to get the magazine out. I left after the 5th time and complained to the store manager, all he said was we'll look at the tapes.

As with numerous folks, I've been into many stores. A lot of the time it is hard to even be acknowledged when i am standing 10' from the employee, in front of something I'd like to look at. I've turned and walked out of too many to remember because of that. Then, if they do acknowledge you, it's as if you are burdening them by being there, and their attitude starts. HUGE turn off! I've even said "if it is too much trouble for you to do your job, maybe you should get a different job." And I've just turned and left the store.

I've also been in a store and watched people walk up and ask the same question(s) over and over, just rephrasing it. The employee was answering the questions, but clearly agitated. The the customer putting down the firearm and walking away. I can imagine that this gets REAL old for the employees, and makes them take on an "attitude" of sorts.

I've also been standing next to someone (a "customer") asking specific questions, about a specific firearm, that the employee couldn't answer. One of "those" customers that thinks they have to belittle and make themselves "superior" to the employee. I've even interjected a few times asking the "customer" questions in the same manner, and putting them on the spot - like they did to the employee. They didn't like it, put down the firearm and left.

I can imagine getting customer after customer coming in and complaining to them about everything.... prices, selection, the weather, home-life, blah, blah, blah.... I'd get tired of it too, and would probably have an "attitude" right from the get-go too.

Having been in them with the "good customers" and the "bad customers", I don't know how long i could stay sane and employed in one. :confused:

Keep up the good attitudes! Keep the employees attitudes good too. BBQ's for the employees, a small gift card every once in a while, a "good job" every so often goes a long way keeping the employee attitudes good and positive.

Those are the stores that i ALWAYS return to and spend my $$$ at. ;)

I would double like this if I could; well said!

Plus 1 for Oregon Rifle Works, N.W. Armory, and Tic-Licker!
Keith's is hit and miss, with Keith his self an arsehole but Charley, his wife and the one Kid that has worked there forever are damn good! Charley has saved many a sale for them! Keith needs to go to People skilz 101 and happy customer 102 training and better damn well score 99 out of 100 or I will never do business there again! I know, fat chance!:eek:
Keith can come off a little arrogant sometimes..the ladies that work there are pretty nice. The guys joke a lot which I'll sometimes jump in on. I know they deal with jerk customers and I've seen it. They are trying to keep the atmosphere laid back despite the chaos sometimes.

This may be true, but also standing your ground to unruly customers. The customer is not always right, and doesn't always deserve to get their way.
True. As someone who has managed a retail business for almost 15 years, I've seen a lot of customers who come in with an attitude from the get-go. It is tough to force a smile despite eating bubblegum fed to you by a jerk customer but over many years, you learn how to do it. Don't think we don't talk about it in the back once they're gone though!

I've personally spent a good amount of time, effort and thought on this issue, looking at ourselves and also other stores. Like most thing's there's a wide variety of reasons. Some shops have done an awesome job with customer service and some don't seem to care. Personally I'd say the customer service at gunshops in the Portland metro area is much better than the national average, whenever I travel I stop into all the stores to take a look around and try and see what they're doing well and what they aren't to try and walk away with what we could improve on. Looking at places other than ourselves locally, Id say Sporting Systems, Oregon Rifleworks, Curts discount shooters supply and Rapid Firearms do a really good job taking care of their customers and they actually care that the customer leaves happy. I'm sure lots of other places also care but sometimes there's a disconnect with them caring and how they show the customer they care.

1. Finding the right help- This is probably the single biggest reason, from what we've found its hard to find a person who know's a good amount about firearms and is also personable and comes across friendly. There's lots of people who know about firearms but they often don't have the right personality to be able to be friendly, helpful and upbeat all day long. It's a weird set of skills for a job, you need someone who is great with people, knows a lot about firearms, is passionate about helping people and who also has a passion for guns / shooting. A lot of places just hire people who know at least a little bit about firearms or someone who they don't think is the right fit but it's the best applicant they got which IMO is a mistake, as an owner in this industry you have to be picky about who you hire because they're the face of your business interacting with customers.

2. Burnout- This job can be mentally exhausting at times and people tend to get burnt out working in the industry, Working with guns all day can take the enjoyment out of them and kill the hobby for them. It's hard to talk about guns for 8 hours then go home and geek out on the internet with gun stuff. I'd say a lot of people start working in a gunshop because they think it will be fun or they're passionate about firearms, but over time they start to lose the passion and at some point they start to loathe talking about firearms or doing anything with firearms and it becomes a chore to them. Everyone's heard the old saying about turning your hobby into your job.

3. Owners not business people- This industry is very much like restaurants, lots of people get into it because they think it will be fun but don't have what it takes to run a business. This industry is one of the more difficult ones to succeed in, which is why so many shops go out of business. You could have an owner who is an awesome sales guy and gives 10/10 service but he is unable to run the back end of the business, doesn't know anything about inventory processes and procedures, doesn't know how to hire or train people, ETC. So while the owner gives awesome service and everyone loves him they are often out of stock of the items that people want to buy, The employees give sub par service because they aren't a good fit for the job and haven't been trained well.

4. Not all personalities mesh well together- Personally I'm an honest no BS guy, I tell people the truth as I know it even If it costs us a sale. I've given the exact same level of service to different people and some thought it was the best service they've ever received and others the worst. A good example is when someone brings something in that they're having a problem with, Most people appreciate us telling them what the issue is or why they're having it. Some people take it as an insult when they're told the reason the gun doesn't work is because they installed a part wrong or because they bought something that's the wrong size or low quality and broke.
AMEN! One thing I do in my line of customer service which I know for a fact, many places of business DON'T DO is this... If I can't offer the service they are looking for OR I can't provide a product they are looking for, at the very least I offer a suggestion about where they could possibly go to obtain it. We all know the bottom line of a business is money but that doesn't mean you can't be a decent, helpful person. There are times a customer will walk in my store and I know right off the bat that I won't make a penny from them, however, if I leave a good impression on them with some extra help, they may come back for something one day. Running a business involves a bit of karma. You get back out of it only what you're willing to put into it.

I think large or small store the counter help should have at least enough knowledge to clear and show safe every gun they handle. I was at the local Calbelas and wanted to look at the beretta Unos 22 for my wife. The counter girl pointed the pistol at me 5 times while pushing all the different buttons and levers trying to get the magazine out. I left after the 5th time and complained to the store manager, all he said was we'll look at the tapes.
Cabella's may have the same problem that I heard Walmart had - people work in multiple departments and sometimes wind up in one where they know nothing. This doesn't in any way excuse flagging someone. I would think that some sort of training and supervision would be SOP, but who knows. :rolleyes:

The customer is always wrong, boyo!

not really

In my career field, they aren't just wrong, they often have their head crammed so far up their posterior, they aren't even aware of how clueless they really are. Luckily, they pay good money to make it all work for them. :s0112:

I've just started reading this thread so perhaps what I'm about to post has been mentioned...

If the LGS employees including the owner btw or manager, demonstrate a poor customer attitude, before leaving I would politely inform them why I was leaving without buying.

I do mean politely too as it would go a long way in adjusting poor customer treatment.

Why bother? If they are too brain-dead to handle the most basic aspect of their business, it isn't incumbent on me wasting time on their idiocy. Not that I bother visiting such establishments any more, because I don't, being there is zero reason to.

Really great experience at Tic Licker today, friendly, knowledgeable, made you feel right at home. Answered questions without the attitude, just a real refreshing experience. Picked up a pistol and rifle for what I felt was a great deal!

The best thing about this thread is learning about great gun stores.

If Shooters Sevice Center doesnt have what I need, i will definately take a trip down to Salem and see Tick Licker.

Just goes to show never underestimate a battle axe as a backup weapon. :)

Sounds like yer talkin 'bout my ex!!;)

But back in the era when all LE carried .38 revolvers, the

What about the days when all LE carried .32 revolvers. Those were notoriously inefficient, yet somehow those bobbies got the job done! :)

For a rather short time a few makers were offering some D/A wheel guns in the .45 Colt that were made for defense. None seemed to ever really catch on and you rarely see them now. Even in the larger wheel guns they I think still offer it but .44 mag being so much more popular it's again something rarely seen.

I'm remembering that a few members said they could load their .45LC up way past .44Mag level in a modern revolver. Large black powder cases are capable of new stuff! I'm also remembering an old, and I mean elderly, customer of mine carried a short barreled single action .45LC revolver, EDC under a leather vest, that he had used in two different incidents to kill two different men. I certainly wouldn't underestimate the power of that cartridge! I'd love to have a lever gun chambered in .45LC. Don't know why... I just would! As it stands now, I own a Judge Public Defender and a Circuit Judge long gun but have never shot .45LC in them since it tends to foul the cylinder for use with .410 shotshells. BTW, I bought the Circuit Judge for my wife when she was in the back bedroom office a lot doing the books for my biz. It's a five shot cylinder long gun and its carbine length points around the corner out into the main area nicely if she ever needed. 3" cylinder with Win PDX1 copper discs and BBs. Should do the job nicely at household distances. :):):)

The last three months I have taken way too long to buy a centerfire rifle. In my opinion, if a sales person senses that I am merely looking, they act like they have to move on and not be bothered. Because I went to one store about four times in two months (a chain store), I got this treatment every time. I sort of felt that I should buy from them, because I had taken so much of their time, even though they were significantly more expensive. Although, the last time I went in, due to the guy acting like a dick, I decided cluck them! BTW, it wasn't that I could not decide what to buy. Instead, I was waiting for the money to become available.

Or the noobs who walk in with a false sense of reality, after just having watched John Wick 3....
Yes, I get it. Although I am still very much a newbie, I was always commended for doing my homework and knowing what I was looking for in a rifle at the gun store. With that said, the sales person usually acted like they could not be bothered for too long. If a sales clerk is that antsy, they don't want to sell a rifle bad enough!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top