JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No guns: Ohio's medical marijuana users won't be able to have firearms

People who register with the state of Ohio to legally use medical marijuana will be prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law, according to guidance released by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

In an open letter to federally licensed firearms dealers, the ATF advised in 2011 that marijuana is still a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law so any use of the drug is unlawful, and gun dealers are prohibited from providing guns or ammo to anyone they have cause to believe uses pot.

"There are no exceptions in federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such is sanctioned by state law," the memo says.

The law applies to more than just buying guns. The ATF letter says marijuana users are prohibited from "shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition."

Anyone applying to purchase a gun from a licensed dealer must sign a form attesting he or she is not "an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance."

"Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside," the form notes.

Lying on the form is a felony under federal law, punishable with up to 10 years in prison.

"There is definitely a conflict between the state laws and the federal laws," said Joe Eaton, southwest Ohio spokesman for the Buckeye Firearms Association.

It's not clear how to reconcile that conflict, he said, "We are confused as everyone else at this point."

When Ohio's medical marijuana program becomes operational in September 2018, Ohioans will be able to register to use cannabis if they have a recommendation from a physician saying they have one of 21 qualifying conditions.

Industry analysts have estimated as many of 24 percent of the state's population – or about 2.8 million Ohioans – have a qualifying condition.

The conflict between federal firearms laws and state cannabis laws has flared up on other states.

In Hawaii, Honolulu police last month told residents who had medical marijuana cards they have 30 days to turn in their firearms to authorities, according to reports in the Honolulu Star Advertiser.

The Associated Press reports that a federal circuit court of appeals ruling on a case out of Nevada found that the federal ban on the sale of guns to medical marijuana users doesn't violate the Second Amendment.

Yeah never do that.
And the question on 4473 is a little "tricky". MJ Question.jpg
Not an MJ user here, but if you use MJ be careful.

Ok, so in states like Oregon, no one needs a pot card anymore. This is just going to trip up those maybe a bit toooo medicated to think clearly. Keeping ones registrations and interactions with the state to an absolute minimum makes for happier life...

In the Venn Diagram of gun owners and marijuana users, how much crossover can there possibly be?

I'm just personally NEVER gonna do anything that could possibly get me into prohibited person status!

In the Venn Diagram of gun owners and marijuana users, how much crossover can there possibly be?
100%

If you are in the POT business, all cash, you are in the GUNS business.

As for users, consumers only? Probably higher than you expect.

---
Did we have in anther thread/post that HI dropped the turn-in requirement?

Hawaii Police Will Reevaluate Decision to Confiscate Guns from Medical Marijuana Patients - News | MERRY JANE
The Honolulu Police Department sent a series of letters to the island's medical marijuana card holders, demanding the surrender of all registered firearms. The policy has not gone as smoothly as intended, and will be reviewed and reevaluated by state police officials, Hawaii News Now reports.

Why is POT a schedule 1 drug?
Schedule 1 = No Useful Purpose.

List of Schedule 1 Drugs

Schedule I drugs are those that have the following characteristic according to the United States Drug Enforcement Agency:

• The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
  • The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S.
  • There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or substance under medical supervision.
No prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and they are not readily available for clinical use.

Drugs / Substances listed in DEA Schedule I include:

POT was the drug of choice for persons of color, which made it an easier sell.

Last Edited:

That's why I'm against these things on principle. Why should anyone be able to tell me what I can and can't partake of if I am not hurting anyone else?

I think we need to pour money into the good kind of propaganda that shows people (kids mainly) how destructive drugs are. I mean in your face all the time. Kinda like all this SJW crap we are dealing with currently. And then after that has settled in for a few years legalize all of it. You mess up big time on drugs sorry sucks for you. Honestly it could even end up driving folks back to religion and or at least a proper moral compass.

Let the people have their damn SOMA if they want it o_O

I wonder if they have a way for those who drop their pot cards to get their guns back? It's not a criminal conviction so could they just give up the card and keep their guns?

As a libertarian I see drug use as none of the governments damn business. If a drug user committed a crime against someone, then lock the bastard up. Fine. If a person chooses to stick things in their own body that is no ones business. I don't care if it's pink plastic wangs or the smoke from a burning plant. A person should own their body and be able to do what they damn well please with it.

If you rob, hurt, or affect someone else that is another matter entirely .

That said we are a nation of laws, the law is clear. If you want to own guns don't use drugs. If you want to use drugs, you don't get guns.

That's why I'm against these things on principle. Why should anyone be able to tell me what I can and can't partake of if I am not hurting anyone else?

I think we need to pour money into the good kind of propaganda that shows people (kids mainly) how destructive drugs are. I mean in your face all the time. Kinda like all this SJW crap we are dealing with currently. And then after that has settled in for a few years legalize all of it. You mess up big time on drugs sorry sucks for you. Honestly it could even end up driving folks back to religion and or at least a proper moral compass.

Let the people have their damn SOMA if they want it o_O

I changed my mind on this subject a few years back... I know the long term effects pot can have... however, I now think the we should legalize it all as long as there are no "safety nets" for those dumb enough to have problems with usage. Let people suffer the consequences of their actions. Unfortunately, a lot of families and children would suffer too. But maybe that's what needs to happen. Prohibition certainly doesn't work.

That said we are a nation of laws, the law is clear. If you want to own guns don't use drugs. If you want to use drugs, you don't get guns.

You don't really believe we are a nation of laws anymore do you? Seems to me the laws are being selectively applied. Otherwise I mostly agree. However, being stoned on pot and in possession of firearms is not likely to cause gun violence, only gun accidents. Pot users are generally m e l l o w. :cool:

No doubt the use of coffee will be declared an addiction that you should lose your gun rights over too:eek:

The regulation door gets opened and there is no end to what they can do with it. That 2,000 pound car is far more dangerous than the gun in the drawer if you are stoned so will the regulators take a drivers lic too?

As an old man in my lifetime I watched government intrusion in our lives grow and grow. If you don' want that then vote for better government.o_O

You don't really believe we are a nation of laws anymore do you? Seems to me the laws are being selectively applied. Otherwise I mostly agree. However, being stoned on pot and in possession of firearms is not likely to cause gun violence, only gun accidents. Pot users are generally m e l l o w. :cool:

If we are not a nation of law we are as good as gone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top