JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think it was about '91 when I bought a M1 carbine, my first semi-auto rifle. Through the years I have purchased many more military semi-auto rifles but always snubbed the AR's, preferring wood and steel over aluminum and plastic. After all these years of avoiding AR's I finally just gave in and placed my order for my 1st AR-"ish" rifle. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Sig spear-LT with a 16" 5.56 barrel and folding Sig stock for $2499.99 with a gift card offer of $10 for every $100 you spend on Sig merchandise bringing the price down to about $2250 after adding a small Sig filler item to breach the xx99.99 price. Looking around this seems like about the best deal I would be able to get.

I just changed jobs for one with a huge increase in pay. My old job had to pay out my considerable built up vacation pay as well as the 2022 yearly bonus. I filled my 2022 and 2023 Roth IRA contributions and had just enough money left over to splurge a bit. I was really after a RCP (rifle caliber pistol) in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39) and after a lot of reading decided 300 blackout is close enough making an AR "ish" pistol a possibility instead of a AK "ish" Draco or Zap. I have been eyeing the Tavor's since they first came out but could never find one to shoot to see if I actually like it. I have 2 pistols with interchangeable barrels and really like the versatility (A Dan Wesson .44 and a Desert Eagle .44/50ae). The swappable barrels on the Spear-LT has a LOT of appeal to me for filling the roll of RCP in 300Blk and 16" rifle in 5.56.

The single .223/5.56 I own is a Remington heavy barrel 700. Back in the early 2000's I picked up 5000 Lake City decapped, swaged and polished 5.56 cases for pennies of which I have about 4800 left. I also have several thousand 5.56 bullets and several bricks of small rifle primers (.30 carbine is the only other small rifle primer cartridge I reload for). I guess I always knew I would pick up a semi-auto 5.56 someday but I always figured it would be a Mini-14 to which I would add an "A-Team" under folder. One of my chief complaints about AR's is the buffer tube preventing the practical use of a folding stock.

2023-03-27_090112.jpg

I am going to try to register this as an SBR under the amnesty program along with a couple of other brace pistols I own. (I have an appointment at 3:00 today for e-fingerprints at UPS - https://printscan.com/live-scan-ups-fingerprinting ). If I have to cough up the $200 to SBR the MCX I will but I will give the freebee a try first. After the SBR tax stamp comes in I will purchase a short (6.75" ?) 300 BLK barrel and then apply for a silencer tax stamp giving me the short, quiet RCP I was looking for. I think this will be a great RV/Camping pistol that won't blow out my ears out if I should need to shoot it without protection someday. It might even become my night stand pistol but I doubt I will give up my compact XD mod 2 3.3" in .45acp for taking out the garbage.

Back in the early 2000's I paid a mind blowing $850 for my HK-91 and have never regretted it. I don't think I will end up regretting this Sig MCX Spear-LT either.

Last Edited:
I think it was about '91 when I bought a M1 carbine, my first semi-auto rifle. Through the years I have purchased many more military semi-auto rifles but always snubbed the AR's, preferring wood and steel over aluminum and plastic. After all these years of avoiding AR's I finally just gave in and placed my order for my 1st AR-"ish" rifle. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Sig spear-LT with a 16" 5.56 barrel and folding Sig stock for $2499.99 with a gift card offer of $10 for every $100 you spend on Sig merchandise bringing the price down to about $2250 after adding a small Sig filler item to breach the xx99.99 price. Looking around this seems like about the best deal I would be able to get.

I just changed jobs for one with a huge increase in pay. My old job had to pay out my considerable built up vacation pay as well as the 2022 yearly bonus. I filled my 2022 and 2023 Roth IRA contributions and had just enough money left over to splurge a bit. I was really after a RCP (rifle caliber pistol) in an intermediate cartridge (7.62x39) and after a lot of reading decided 300 blackout is close enough making an AR "ish" pistol a possibility instead of a AK "ish" Draco or Zap. I have been eyeing the Tavor's since they first came out but could never find one to shoot to see if I actually like it. I have 2 pistols with interchangeable barrels and really like the versatility (A Dan Wesson .44 and a Desert Eagle .44/50ae). The swappable barrels on the Spear-LT has a LOT of appeal to me for filling the roll of RCP in 300Blk and 16" rifle in 5.56.

The single .223/5.56 I own is a Remington heavy barrel 700. Back in the early 2000's I picked up 5000 Lake City decapped, swaged and polished 5.56 cases for pennies of which I have about 4800 left. I also have several thousand 5.56 bullets and several bricks of small rifle primers (.30 carbine is the only other small rifle primer cartridge I reload for). I guess I always knew I would pick up a semi-auto 5.56 someday but I always figured it would be a Mini-14 to which I would add an "A-Team" under folder. One of my chief complaints about AR's is the buffer tube preventing the practical use of a folding stock.

View attachment 1392036

I am going to try to register this as an SBR under the amnesty program along with a couple of other brace pistols I own. (I have an appointment at 3:00 today for e-fingerprints at UPS - https://printscan.com/live-scan-ups-fingerprinting ). If I have to cough up the $200 to SBR the MCX I will but I will give the freebee a try first. After the SBR tax stamp comes in I will purchase a short (6.75" ?) 300 BLK barrel and then apply for a silencer tax stamp giving me the short, quiet RCP I was looking for. I think this will be a great RV/Camping pistol that won't blow out my ears out if I should need to shoot it without protection someday. It might even become my night stand pistol but I doubt I will give up my compact XD mod 2 3.3" in .45acp for taking out the garbage.

Back in the early 2000's I paid a mind blowing $850 for my HK-91 and have never regretted it. I don't think I will end up regretting this Sig MCX Spear-LT either.
If you're buying it today, I don't think it qualifies for the free tax stamp. I remember reading that it only applies to firearms already in your possession at the time the rules were officially published. Still looks like a very nice gun though.

If you're buying it today, I don't think it qualifies for the free tax stamp. I remember reading that it only applies to firearms already in your possession at the time the rules were officially published. Still looks like a very nice gun though.
...but look at the bright side, you'll be a felon with millions of others so you're in good company.

...but look at the bright side, you'll be a felon with millions of others so you're in good company.
Isn't that some bubblegum. A felony for owning something that was totally legal months prior meanwhile in Portland criminals/transients are breaking into people's homes/throwing rocks through their windshields while driving/stealing dump trailers worth over 20k and not even being charged with anything.

My only reccomendation would be to buy any spares now, if they are available. Sig has a bad habit of "upgrading" and discontinuing previous models parts.
Had a gen 1 MCX, fwtw...

So... To SBR under amnesty this would also need to have been a braced pistol not a 16" barreled rifle. To SBR it you will need your SBR stamp before mounting a short barrel.

So... To SBR under amnesty this would also need to have been a braced pistol not a 16" barreled rifle. To SBR it you will need your SBR stamp before mounting a short barrel.

I have a lot of faith in ATF's inadequacy and not being able to track purchase dates etc., but if I have to pay the $200 tax for SBR I will. I couldn't justify spending $200 tax for my Ruger PC charger or Keltec CP33 which I will register for free but the MCX would be worth paying the $200 SBR tax.

My only reccomendation would be to buy any spares now, if they are available. Sig has a bad habit of "upgrading" and discontinuing previous models parts.
Had a gen 1 MCX, fwtw...
I completely understand why someone would be frustrated with SIG upgrading a design and abandoning the original design. The design changes between the MCX Virtus and MCX Spear-LT look to be quite minimal from everything I have read. I did read a report that Virtus barrels are interchangeable with Spear-LT barrels but the forearms aren't interchangeable. I am purchasing the Spear-LT knowing that it will one day be replaced by a V4 MCX design... something I would not have anticipated when buying an original MCX when they were first out.

I actually considered a used 11.5" Virtus pistol but it was only $450 cheaper than this Spear rifle and didn't come with a stock or brace.

The PrintScan place messed up my appointment for today so they moved it to 3:30 tomorrow at the local UPS store. I will be getting 8 fingerprint cards for registering my CP33 and PCCharger and MCX-Spear and a silencer for the MCX.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads