JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
May 02, 2024
Hodgdon Powder Company is pleased to announce the acquisition of RCBS Reloading from Revelyst, a segment of Vista Outdoor (NYSE: VSTO). This acquisition is effective May 2, 2024, with Hodgdon prepared to immediately continue shipping RCBS products to wholesale and retail customers.
"This acquisition of RCBS, the leading brand in metallic reloading tools, is a perfect complement to our portfolio of smokeless powder brands for our handloading customers," said Steve Kehrwald, president and CEO of Hodgdon Powder Company. With our world-class ballistics labs, we look forward to providing even more load data to our new RCBS customers."

I misread at first, I was under the impression that Vista acquired RCBS. Looks like I stand corrected by the other posts.
Hodgdon CEO came from Vista. That is why Hodgdon has acquired most the market of powders. The price they jacked up powders likely is the source of funds to acquire RCBS.

What prices under the sun, other than fentanyl, haven't been "jacked up"?
There is inflation prices and then there is jacked up prices. Inflation pricing is the 20-30% increase you see on most everything, including non-Hodgdon powders. Jacked up pricing is the 80-100% increase on Hodgdon distributed powders and 200% on Vista supplied primers.

There is inflation prices and then there is jacked up prices. Inflation pricing is the 20-30% increase you see on most everything, including non-Hodgdon powders. Jacked up pricing is the 80-100% increase on Hodgdon distributed powders and 200% on Vista supplied primers.
The last primers I bought, not too long ago were $18/k. The 20-30% increase you're referring to in normal goods would also apply in this instance as primers are what, $75-100/k now?

Just a thought...

I wonder if RCBS has seen reductions in sales over the last few years given all the issues with component shortages, price increases etc. and possibly interest in reloading is not what it used to be, and therefore 'bailed out' with an offer from Hodgdon.

Just 'outside the box' thinking.

Just a thought...

I wonder if RCBS has seen reductions in sales over the last few years given all the issues with component shortages, price increases etc. and possibly interest in reloading is not what it used to be, and therefore 'bailed out' with an offer from Hodgdon.

Just 'outside the box' thinking.
They don't care about volume, just overall dollars.

When I'm buying reloading equipment, budget is a consideration but my first thing I look for is where its made. Its not the company I'm investing in, its the equipment.

Hopefully they get back to the customer service I came to love about RCBS. They use to never give me any hassle on replacement parts. But lately I've been getting a lot of pushback. Bought another used press recently and they denied me replacement parts because I was not the original owner. Been using RCBS for 40 years without these issues but my recent experiences has got me thinking to go blue.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top