JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was informed that an FFL in WA is allowed to collect tax on any firearm sold in the state including private sales.

I understand if you order online and ship it in and in buying a new firearm, you gotta pay the tax.

But, is this true on private sales that are now required to be done at an FFL?

Just moved here a year ago and I'm selling my first firearm private party in the state.

Thank you in advance.

Last Edited:
Don't understand how an FFL would collect taxes on something they:
A) did not sell And
B) never had possession of

Having said that I can see tax on the transfer fee, because they're selling a service...

Or maybe I'm just not understanding...

Yeah I don't understand either. This was an FFL that told me this.

I don't know how they can tax something that is not theirs and they did not sell.

If it sounds like its not normal (which is seems), then I wont be concerned about it.

Taxed because of the service and the fee for the transfer was never in question.

Find another FFL. The ones that I deal with do not charge tax on private party transfers.

Oh I immediately marked them off my list. But the thought of it bugged me so I thought I would ask.

It sounds like it's not a normal thing, so I'll call around in the morning to find another ffl.

When I buy from an online source and have it shipped to a local FFL, I have to pay tax on the gun when I pick it up. This is not sales tax. It is Washington's usage tax that you are supposed to pay on anything purchased out of state.

Bill.

I'm not an attorney, but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And have exhaustively gone through this with FFLs and researched this topic. Have homes in OR & WA. This applies to WA. only.

New or used buying from any FFL dealer, in-state or not, tax IS always collected.

Used from any private party, in-state or not, tax is NOT required to be collected by the FFL, however a use tax is owed to WA. State as your personal responsibility.

A lot of FFLs are (understandably) confused about this, or adopted their own policy after I-594 passed in WA. For example, some do not collect for an in-person private sale, but insist they must for an out of state private transfer. Some claim that a private party transfer becomes void if the seller ships through an FFL on their end, to your FFL.

That's not law, that's their policy. It's b.s. Find another FFL at that point, IMO.

You definitely need an invoice with make-model-S/N, price, etc from the private seller and some FFLs may legitimately ask that the seller's ID attach to the invoice.

I-594 Explanatory Statement - Washington Secretary of State

Explanatory Statement
Written by the Office of the Attorney General
key passage at the end, on this subject:
"Sales tax would not apply to the sale or transfer of firearms between people who are not licensed firearms dealers, so long as they comply with all background check requirements. Using a licensed firearms dealer to assist with such sales or transfers would not result in sales or use tax."

Hope this helps. I spent many hours and back/forth with several FFLs figuring this out.

I'm not an attorney, but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. And have exhaustively gone through this with FFLs and researched this topic. Have homes in OR & WA. This applies to WA. only.

New or used buying from any FFL dealer, in-state or not, tax IS always collected.

Used from any private party, in-state or not, tax is NOT required to be collected by the FFL, however a use tax is owed to WA. State as your personal responsibility.

A lot of FFLs are (understandably) confused about this, or adopted their own policy after I-594 passed in WA. For example, some do not collect for an in-person private sale, but insist they must for an out of state private transfer. Some claim that a private party transfer becomes void if the seller ships through an FFL on their end, to your FFL.

That's not law, that's their policy. It's b.s. Find another FFL at that point, IMO.

You definitely need an invoice with make-model-S/N, price, etc from the private seller and some FFLs may legitimately ask that the seller's ID attach to the invoice.

I-594 Explanatory Statement - Washington Secretary of State

Explanatory Statement
Written by the Office of the Attorney General
key passage at the end, on this subject:
"Sales tax would not apply to the sale or transfer of firearms between people who are not licensed firearms dealers, so long as they comply with all background check requirements. Using a licensed firearms dealer to assist with such sales or transfers would not result in sales or use tax."

Hope this helps. I spent many hours and back/forth with several FFLs figuring this out.

Thank you for this. I thought in my own mind that this is what it really was. Anything bought FROM the FFL is taxable, however private sales are not.. minus the taxes for the service. I thought it was really odd to hear him say he would be collecting sales tax on a item he does not own.

As an invoice do you mean they would want a copy of the BoS?

BTW, if you ask the DOR, ATF, Office of the AG, or 3 different FFLs, you'll get 6 different answers ;-)

Just to be clear, the use-tax is owed on private purchases for anything brought into WA, same as if you bought a flat screen TV in Portland (tax-free there) and brought it home to WA - but FFLs are NOT required to collect the tax on legitimate private transfers. It's your personal responsibility.
Voluntary compliance is generally not too high which is why WA-DOR loves to intimidate others into collecting it for them ;-)

Also, FFLs as businesses are free to adopt whatever policy they chose. But it's not law.

Yes, Bill-of-Sale / Invoice meant to be the same thing.

Last Edited:
Last comment on this one, there had been no issue or confusion on this topic prior to the 2014 passage of "Universal Background Check Law" I594.

But I-594 explicitly said in the text it makes no changes to existing tax law or requirements. If it had - the initiative would or could have been tossed out for violating WA. initiative statute on not containing multiple subjects.

Regardless, it's a messed up situation since so many have their own spin and/or policy.

Last comment on this one, there had been no issue or confusion on this topic prior to the 2014 passage of "Universal Background Check Law" I594.

But I-594 explicitly said in the text it makes no changes to existing tax law or requirements. If it had - the initiative would or could have been tossed out for violating WA. initiative statute on not containing multiple subjects.

Regardless, it's a messed up situation since so many have their own spin and/or policy.

I appreciate you taking the time to clear things up. Thank you!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top