JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh the days of not being mandated to use an ffl
Yup......I can remember coming to WA in 2005. I went to a gun show and bought a long gun from a private seller. BTW, HI is so different from WA. Anyway.....in WA.....there was NO Permit to Acquire scheme, NO after purchase registration (at the Police Station), NO FFL transfer facilitator and NO extra fees involved.

Just a few questions from the seller. You know........to see if I was a "Good Guy" in his eyes. A handshake and money exchange. Then, it was DONE, Done, and done.

I mentioned this transaction to a fellow gun enthusiast still in Hawaii. He commented that I must love the "Taste of FREEDOM" in WA.

But sadly......it's no more.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
My experience is this arena is based on the birth of on line guns sales to today. There are several ways for a shop owner to approach this newer aspect of daily business. Some don't want to offer transfers at all and that is their right. Some want to bend over every transfer customer that comes through their door and that is also their right.

My approach would be to have the lowest transfer fee around. Since the customer already bought online they won't be buying from you. But, if I can get them in the door can I turn them into a regular customer? Well, yes you can but you have to get them in your shop first. Hence the best deal on transfer fees around.

Now you have them in your shop take the time to look at what they bought and what was the final cost of the gun out the door to them. Learn from that and move on. Offer them competitive pricing just for coming in and talking pricing with you. Remember, you want customers that frequent your business as much as they will. You can turn an online buyer into a customer if you just talk with them and offer your services. They might not always buy a gun from you but once in your shop you at least have given yourself the opportunity to try.

I was paying $100 a pop and I finally got fed up and said screw it and found somebody else, it's even farther for me to drive but I'd rather drive a little bit and listen to some music then take it up the a_ss like that.

Last Edited:
Nothing like paying for something that should be free.
IF.....
It absolutely needs to be done.
I too believe that it should BE FREE.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Not this.
The 2nd Amendment according to the Liberals..…

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable and makes common sense to me."

Really2.gif

So, has the 2nd A been re-written?

Aloha, Mark

PS....think about it.......currently, there is no "Poll Tax" to vote.

So why do I have to pay for someone to check on me in order for me to exercise my RIGHT to firearm(s) ownership?

When will the Govt pass laws to collect fees to attend a place of worship? Publish a newspaper? Gather in a group? Address a group? Etc.....

Last Edited:
RE : Post #22

*There is a well known gun store in Tacoma that refuses to "help with private transfers".

Yeah......the entire scheme was for your safety.

*Mind you that things could have changed. No need to ask the name of the establishment. I suspect that it would be embarrassing for them.

Yeah, imagine.....Hillary, Beto, Brandon or Harris.....saying that they really didn't mean to confiscate your ARs after they expressed that they were for it?

Can a tiger change it's stripes?

Up To You......what you want to believe.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I did a firearm xfer yesterday and the place that I had sometimes gone through in the past now charges 50.00 xfer fee unless vet/active to include law enforcement of 35 bucks. I remember paying 25 bucks just a few years ago.

I know I sound like an ol' guy but this is something i never really paid much attention to. I have other FFLs that I go through so will probably route that way in the future provided their pricing structure has not changed.

I went this route for convenience - something to consider for those of you that are like minded.
👍👍👍👍👍
Americas Pawn.
About 104 and Mill Plain. $20. $35, if they need to take possession waiting for BGC.
Great employees also .
Best,
Gary

Last Edited:
A Cut Above Pawn is still my favorite, $25 and no BS. They don't charge you a silly fee to make a copy of your driver license or make a big deal about selling you a lock if you are missing one.

There are only a few shops I can think of that do enough busy they don't want the FFL transfer traffic, but I can't imagine why other shops would get on this gig by offering cheap FFL processing fees, easy money for pushing paper and entering info into a computer. If you're upset someone isn't buying your inventory, maybe rethink your prices?

I am all for buying local, but I am not going to pay a premium to do business with someone.

Last Edited:
@LuckySG charges $20 total for person to person transfers

He is the gold standard others should look to be more like.

A Cut Above Pawn is still my favorite, $25 and no BS. They don't charge you a silly fee to make a copy of your driver license or make a big deal about selling you a lock if you are missing one.

There are only a few shops I can think of that do enough busy they don't want the FFL transfer traffic, but I can't imagine why other shops would get on this gig by offering cheap FFL processing fees, easy money for pushing paper and entering info into a computer. If you're upset someone isn't buying your inventory, maybe rethink your prices?

I am all for buying local, but I am not going to pay a premium to do business with someone.
You should also note that IF, the exchange doesn't take place immediately the original owner will have to take the gun home and return a second time after the official okee-dokee has been declared. Not that there's anything wrong with that? Where Tigard Pawn 4 More holds the gun in house so only the buyer need come back after being cleared. I've used both places and think they are both great. I don't mind jumping through a couple hoops for the pleasure. I'm flexible still.

My experience is this arena is based on the birth of on line guns sales to today. There are several ways for a shop owner to approach this newer aspect of daily business. Some don't want to offer transfers at all and that is their right. Some want to bend over every transfer customer that comes through their door and that is also their right.

My approach would be to have the lowest transfer fee around. Since the customer already bought online they won't be buying from you. But, if I can get them in the door can I turn them into a regular customer? Well, yes you can but you have to get them in your shop first. Hence the best deal on transfer fees around.

Now you have them in your shop take the time to look at what they bought and what was the final cost of the gun out the door to them. Learn from that and move on. Offer them competitive pricing just for coming in and talking pricing with you. Remember, you want customers that frequent your business as much as they will. You can turn an online buyer into a customer if you just talk with them and offer your services. They might not always buy a gun from you but once in your shop you at least have given yourself the opportunity to try.
Amen! From running my business years ago I learned that it takes about $35 in media advertising to get someone through the door for the first time. Once someone has walked through your front door they are much more likely to return to you than somewhere they have never been before. Transfers may not be money makers in themselves, but you get the benefit of free advertising and return business. If somebody transfers a deer rifle with rings but no scope, sell them a scope. If that pistol has beat up grips, show them the nice new custom grips that fit it.

Small minds are why small businesses stay small.

Pricing is often dependent on volume, so a small shop might not be gouging. It's more likely that they can't compete with pricing.

Just remember, if you're not close to a big shop with cheap pricing, if your home town FFL goes under, you may have to drive.

I'm only charged $10 per transfer. I won't say where it is, sorry. 😉

The truth is that there's likely several FFL holders near you that don't charge much. You just need to make some calls, leave messages, and make a friend or two.

My neighborhood FFL, AFS, still only charges what he gets charged.
thats no true, I went there the other day, Steve used to charge $20 for up to 4 items, He now charges $20 for the first item and $10 for second and so on and $10 for the BGC, I had two items shipped to him expecting to pay the same old $20 fee and he charged me $40. Ive been supporting Steve since he started. But living where I do now I will just find a local FFL who probably charges the same or $5 more because the drive was not worth it.
SO yes Even AFS at some point changed their fees and charge more for paperwork. Merica'.

thats no true, I went there the other day, Steve used to charge $20 for up to 4 items, He now charges $20 for the first item and $10 for second and so on and $10 for the BGC, I had two items shipped to him expecting to pay the same old $20 fee and he charged me $40. Ive been supporting Steve since he started. But living where I do now I will just find a local FFL who probably charges the same or $5 more because the drive was not worth it.
SO yes Even AFS at some point changed their fees and charge more for paperwork. Merica'.
He charged me $10 for a pair of rifles I picked up same day last December and $10 for a pair of lowers I had shipped to him a few years back. Perhaps his costs have changed?

I've paid anywhere from 25-40 for transfers. Every time, I'm walking out with the firearm within 20 minutes of approaching the counter. But I understand you have to make ends meet somehow

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top