JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a firearm xfer yesterday and the place that I had sometimes gone through in the past now charges 50.00 xfer fee unless vet/active to include law enforcement of 35 bucks. I remember paying 25 bucks just a few years ago.

I know I sound like an ol' guy but this is something i never really paid much attention to. I have other FFLs that I go through so will probably route that way in the future provided their pricing structure has not changed.

I went this route for convenience - something to consider for those of you that are like minded.

I went to an FFL *cough* mazama *cough* that charged $35 PER SIDE of a single firearm transfer. That's $80 with BGC. So I don't use them anymore. Don't know if they changed that policy and I don't care

That seems pretty high, at least compared my locality where there's at least a couple of options for $25. One could probably go even cheaper if they know a kitchen table FFL whose business is primarily transfers. The problem there is many of them have day jobs so scheduling tends to be appointment only which is certainly less convenient than a store with set business hours.

Taking a slightly different perspective.

I kept getting deals on guns that I couldn't pass up , and only had the one ffl close enough to use. They have a reasonable fee, and I don't mind paying it. What I noticed after a while is that their "shop time" wasn't really being compensated by the $30 from me.
I try to buy a flashlight , sling, knife, magazine or 2 , magpul stuff...etc.
This way I'm giving them some business while I make use of their (unfortunately) necessary service.

Taking a slightly different perspective.

I kept getting deals on guns that I couldn't pass up , and only had the one ffl close enough to use. They have a reasonable fee, and I don't mind paying it. What I noticed after a while is that their "shop time" wasn't really being compensated by the $30 from me.
I try to buy a flashlight , sling, knife, magazine or 2 , magpul stuff...etc.
This way I'm giving them some business while I make use of their (unfortunately) necessary service.
Yes - I agree with your statement and have the general mindset. I think in the end my past business will more than make up for any inconvenience or expense related to this transaction.

Nevertheless - it's a very good point.

Coming from a prior FFL holder who offered $25 transfers... if you find a shop willing to do it for that cheap, they are going out of their way to help you. At $10 for the BGC, they are only making $15 off a transaction that can often take an hour of a shop's time to complete. Plus taking into account the liability and overhead associated with holding an FFL... even a $50 transfer is fair. Don't blame the shop for wanting to turn a profit. Blame the 1968 GCA, or SB941.

I have no problem with NICS being a resource. I DO have a problem with it not being publicly accessible.

If concerned democrat npc wants me to know my buyer is not a prohibited possessor, then they should give me the tools to make that determination.

Coming from a prior FFL holder who offered $25 transfers... if you find a shop willing to do it for that cheap, they are going out of their way to help you. At $10 for the BGC, they are only making $15 off a transaction that can often take an hour of a shop's time to complete. Plus taking into account the liability and overhead associated with holding an FFL... even a $50 transfer is fair. Don't blame the shop for wanting to turn a profit. Blame the 1968 GCA, or SB941.
Blame? didn't this was headed in that direction. in my past experience - the only time it took an hour was when we were talking BS for 45 minutes after the transfer completed.

A transfer only qoes quickly if:
1. The purchaser is familiar with the process and can fill out a 4473 accurately and do a thumb print without explanation.
2. The purchaser can actually pass the BGC.
3. The purchaser gets an instant approval, which is only possible these days if you have a CHL.

@tlfreek, people like you are not the rule. You are the exception, and are often a pleasure to do business with. Think of how many first time gun buyers there have been lately, and how unfamiliar with the process they are. Plus, don't forget, you are the customer. Just because you get to leave in 15 minutes, doesn't mean that all the work is done. There is still filing and record keeping that needs to happen.

INFLATION?!?!

Or....all part of the plan to discourage the legal ownership of firearms?

everything-is-going-according-to-plan_(1).jpg

BUT, But, but.......some of us knew that the fess would eventually increase. Yup.....there was plenty of people saying that it was ONLY an extra $10-20 (back then). Compromise? Rrrrrright......

But then.....Yeah.....
The gunshop that was around here was all in favor of the law. They claimed that things were gonna get SAFER once the law was in place.

HA, Ha, ha.......

It was more like a ruse to get more business coming through their door. BTW.....they went out of business shortly after that.

Aloha, Mark

PS......just wait until they pass a law to register and lic. your collection. Rrrrright.....for every magazine, firearm and any ammo that you own. The Anti-Gunners will claim that it's for SAFETY. And to "regulate" those dangerous devices to legal firearms owners. It's just reasonable and common sense.

wwf2ag.jpg

Of course, illegal firearm holders don't care. Duh.

Last Edited:
Blame? didn't this was headed in that direction. in my past experience - the only time it took an hour was when we were talking BS for 45 minutes after the transfer completed.
I think he means blame WA and OR for creating nonsense, feel good laws that force law abiding citizens to take extra steps when selling simple property to another legal citizen.

Ir hasn't been all that long since a written bill of sale and possibly a glance at the ccw or ID of your fellow man was the norm . If private party sales of firearms where really creating chaos on our streets , then we should all be living in Mayberry by now . However, it seems the opposite is true. Imagine that. Lol

The whole hour isn't taken up on their part. To process the paperwork, and write the gun on a single line in the book. 15 minutes top start to finish. I have no idea what gun store guys make, let's use $15/hr. In a consulting business with high insurance and benefits, the rule of thumb is 3x the hourly rate to turn a profit. I know the overhead of a gun shop isn't going to be as high, so let's use a 2x multiplier. With a 2x multiplier, it costs the FFL $30/hr to only do transfers. They can prices four per hour, so at the rate of $20/transfer plus BGC, they're bringing in $80/transfer at a cost of $30/hr, thus $50 profit.

Last Edited:
I did a firearm xfer yesterday and the place that I had sometimes gone through in the past now charges 50.00 xfer fee unless vet/active to include law enforcement of 35 bucks. I remember paying 25 bucks just a few years ago.

I know I sound like an ol' guy but this is something i never really paid much attention to. I have other FFLs that I go through so will probably route that way in the future provided their pricing structure has not changed.

I went this route for convenience - something to consider for those of you that are like minded.
Nothing like paying for something that should be free.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top