JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like a drug deal gone bad or some gang bangers had some type of disagreement.

Those apartment complexes near the I-5 Corridor are known to be cesspools of crime and drug activity. As much as I like Federal Way for shopping and such, there is certainly a crime problem in some parts of the city. Federal Way is so spread out, it really encompasses a lot of different areas. The city doesn't feel too sketchy, but I know it is a bit deceiving, as there are isolated pockets of bad areas among all the decent parts of the town.

"Police found two injured men on the ground in a parking lot. One of the men reached for a gun as police moved in to assist the two, she said.

At that point, officers opened fire. The suspect died, but police said it wasn't immediately clear if it was from their gunfire."

I guess the 8 LEOs shoot 50+ bullets at the one guy that was reaching for the firearm. LEOs are usually around 10% in suspect shooting accuracy so yeah, it probably isn't clear if the guy actually died from the LEOs gunfire.

Bad news folks. I am working on a follow-up.

The shooter in this case now reportedly offed his girlfriend in a domestic violence beef. Licensed to carry, he then shot two men who apparently heard the gunshots asnd came to investigate. Then he shot a third man with a shotgun and somwhere in the process after the cops show up, he gets wounded and the cops later find him lying on the ground and plug him when he reaches for a piece.

Here's what the Tacoma News Tribune is now saying:

Gunfire at Federal Way apartment complex leaves five dead | Lights & Sirens - The News Tribune

UPDATE, 12:10 P.M.: According to Federal Way Police, one shooter is believed to have killed the other four at the apartment complex on Sunday night. The 28-year-old suspect lived at the complex with his 25-year-old girlfriend.

Police say the man killed his girlfriend in their apartment, and, as he left, he was confronted by two other men in the parking lot. Police say he shot and killed them. No connection between the three men is known yet.

At that point, 911 calls begin coming in.

Another neighbor, a man in his 60s, tells others to call 911 and goes back into his apartment. The suspect fires a shotgun into the man’s door to open it. He enters the apartment and kills the man, presumably to eliminate a witness, Federal Way Police say.

Officers begin arriving on scene. They find the suspect and shoot at him; he is wounded but flees. Police later find him on the ground in the parking lot. Police say the man reached for a gun on the ground. Police opened fire on the suspect, killing him.

Police said the man used two weapons during Sunday night’s shootings — a shotgun and a semi-automatic handgun.

Read more here: Gunfire at Federal Way apartment complex leaves five dead | Lights & Sirens - The News Tribune

Thanks for the update, Dave. It's rare, indeed, for someone with a CCL to do something like this; although I'm sure this fact will fall on deaf ears.

I'm glad the cops shot him and my condolences to the friends and families of the victims.. this was a very rare case, a licensed carrier who loses it. The only thing that could have stopped his spree before the cops arrived, were armed citizens

It is also rare for a LEO to shoot and kill his wife or family. Or for a judges wife to kill a D.A, but they do happen.

Should we ban all LEOs and judges wives from owning firearms? Should we ban all CHL holders?

Same with open firearm carriers.

Some open firearm carriers get into trouble but we should not ban all open carriers from owning, carrying firearms and even having the firearms loaded.

Even in public buildings, you hear that Portland and Multnomah County?

I don't know who else was listening to live coverage of the KCSO press conference, but it was covered on KIRO. I got to hear Luke Burbank (morning host) yammering on about how this is why we need universal background checks. Then, after he said that, it was stated in the press conference that the man had a valid concealed carry license and no known criminal history other than a DV call.

Oops - what now? Sounds like he passed one of the stricter background checks. Should we take away all the guns now?

Damn, some people just "go off" without warning. No jobs, the economy or relationship stress?

It looks like this started in his home, so he was not concealed carrying in public when he lost it. I am assuming the guns used were legally obtained.

Almost all police officers will tell you that a domestic disturbance is the most difficult situation to deal with. Emotions take over and people do things that no one would expect from them. Officers often find that both parties are hostile to them. The pursuit/killing of the neighbors fits into this pattern.

One lesson is that when you hear shots fired there is a serious chance that confronting the shooter will make you a target, even if you know the shooter and are friends with them. At that point they may not be rational.

I don't know who else was listening to live coverage of the KCSO press conference, but it was covered on KIRO. I got to hear Luke Burbank (morning host) yammering on about how this is why we need universal background checks. Then, after he said that, it was stated in the press conference that the man had a valid concealed carry license and no known criminal history other than a DV call.

Oops - what now? Sounds like he passed one of the stricter background checks. Should we take away all the guns now?

I read a report that said he already had a file with the PD that said he has a history of violence and repeated domestic violence calls. How again did this man even pass his background check? There are so many angles to look at in this situation regarding gun rights and gun control:
Do background checks work as they are currently set up? Not at all.
If one of the men in the parking lot was carrying, would they both be alive today? Perhaps, but they had no chance unarmed.
Or the disabled vet who called out for help only to have his locked door beat/blasted in and himself shot to death? He had no other way to defend himself. Even a locked door didn't save him.
Why do people honestly think the police will be there in time to save them? Clearly, this man had plenty of time to kill 4 people in 3 different locations including breaking into a neighbor's apartment. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

In the end, there's ammo for both sides that will be leveraged in future debates using this one incident. But ultimately, a man murdered people and that can't be undone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top