JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait... I didn't realize a .357 sig shield was a think. Interesting. What made you choose the .357 sig over 9mm?

The main reason was I wanted a single gun that could shoot multiple calibers and the 40 shield was the best choice (for me). After shooting all three calibers out of it, I decided on 357 Sig as my default carry choice. Only downside is ammo cost and availability.

That's interesting! Did you have to change anything besides the barrel?

Only the barrel needs to be replaced. The spring is stock and so is the magazine.

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a thing either.

I carry .357 because I don't trust 9mm to stop the threat. Great practice round though.

I might have to look into that set-up, as my wife was considering the Shield as a carry gun. Quantico has good prices on the gun in their LEO/MIL list.

I also have a threaded 9mm barrel for it. Same spring is used, but with 9mm mags. I love my Shield for its versatility. (Make sure you get the Shield 40 and not the 9mm.)

Have you chronoed the 357 Sig?
It seems like a little fireball to me.:)
I have not but the numbers would be interesting.

My main motivation was to own one gun that could digest lots of different ammo in a scenario where a guaranteed supply of a specific caliber can't be guaranteed. I'm not even sure I favor 357 Sig over 40 s&w. Both seem to shoot similarly out of the Shield based on my limited experience. 9mm works fine too and the added capacity has its own advantages. It's all about trade-offs and preference.

Last Edited:
The Taurus PT111 G2 is my favorite carry gun. I've always been a die hard .45 1911 guy and never thought I would own anything else. The minute I picked up the Taurus, I knew I had to have it. With 12 rounds of 9mm (or 17 in an extended magazine), I feel like I am packing the firepower to handle the job. In an Alien Gear IWB it weighs nothing and I hardly know it is there. It's a $200 gun but I have no qualms about trusting my safety to it.

The Taurus PT111 G2 is my favorite carry gun. I've always been a die hard .45 1911 guy and never thought I would own anything else. The minute I picked up the Taurus, I knew I had to have it. With 12 rounds of 9mm (or 17 in an extended magazine), I feel like I am packing the firepower to handle the job. In an Alien Gear IWB it weighs nothing and I hardly know it is there. It's a $200 gun but I have no qualms about trusting my safety to it.
I have one and trust it too, just like carrying something else most of the time. I have a Cook's Kydex for my PT-111 and it is a bit nicer than my AG IWB for other guns.

Canik TP9SFx with 18 round mag, TLR-1 HL and Vortex Venom. When I need something smaller I carry a CZ SP-01 (of course it isn't a compact, but I chose both the above choices because I practice frequently with them and shoot them better than other choices. I might swap the SP-01 out for a more compact P-01 someday, but am in no hurry to do so)

Another for the Sig P938. Great trigger, very comfortable to carry, shoots well, and can fit almost anywhere with a pocket holster when needed. The spare mags are also small and unobtrusive. I'm often in situations where different levels of concealment are appropriate.

The clothes worn and activities performed at work, church, a family gathering, etc... If I'm not comfortable carrying it, I usually won't. I usually end up carrying a G19, G26, or Sig P938. If I could get away with carrying a full size 1911 I absolutely would. I just haven't found a combination of belt, pants, and holster that lets me do that comfortably all year.
I can recommend the Milt Sparks Nexus in horsehide and steer as pictured below and a Bigfoot steel lined gun belt. That combination makes carrying a combat commander very comfortable.
7E6FC2A1-FD25-4A51-8548-9EE6F8028B26.jpeg

I can recommend the Milt Sparks Nexus in horsehide and steer as pictured below and a Bigfoot steel lined gun belt. That combination makes carrying a combat commander very comfortable.
View attachment 416810
What was the turn around time on the Milts Sparks holster? I really want a SS II for a 3G S&W semiauto... I'm willing to wait, just curious how long I'm gonna have to wait.

I go past his shop every week in Garden City. I'd really like to stop in but it's always stupid-dark:30 so I'm sure there's no one there.

What was the turn around time on the Milts Sparks holster? I really want a SS II for a 3G S&W semiauto... I'm willing to wait, just curious how long I'm gonna have to wait.

I go past his shop every week in Garden City. I'd really like to stop in but it's always stupid-dark:30 so I'm sure there's no one there.
Back when I ordered the Nexus a couple of years ago, I recall turn around time to be 6-8 weeks. I do remember their estimated delivery was right on target. Warning, once you go custom, everything else pales in comparison...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top