JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good for them but what about the legal side of it? Detaining someone, drawing your weapon and holding them isn't legal if your life or someone else's is not in danger right? These people were not threatening anyone and not armed. They at that time were not in the victims home or property either.
A BIG no no would be to shoot at one of them escaping. Wonder what the plan was if one of them ran?

Detaining someone, drawing your weapon and holding them isn't legal if your life or someone else's is not in danger right?

You have to look at these situations in a certain context. I imagine this is a fairly isolated area as far as rapid law enforcement response goes. The 20 minute response time says that. I spend a lot of time in Curry County, where there may be a max of 2 deputies on duty at any time in a county that is 35 miles long and 26 miles wide, and none of it is real high speed response roads. Most times there are no deputies on duty from 3 am to 7 am. There are a lot of very well armed people around there. Your self defense is your responsibility. Detaining someone who you have positively identified as the subjects who did a burglary at your home, and were in the immediate area again is a reasonable thing to do if you are capable of doing it properly.

These people were not threatening anyone and not armed.

These people are criminals. How do you know they were not armed ?? The fact that they were burglars and in a vehicle, poses a threat if they decide to flee. I am assuming every criminal I encounter is armed. They boxed them in with vehicles, and detained them. They had the driver remove the keys and throw them out on the ground. Making them stay in the vehicle is the right thing to do. Not knowing if they were armed, and with them in the vehicle with possible access to weapons, makes pointing 2 guns and ordering them to keep their hands visible are reasonable things to do. They maintained a safe distance from the subjects.

There is no audio, but someone was giving some suitable commands to them, and with guns pointed at them, they complied. Ms. Realtree and her husband I assume, had good body language that communicated we know what we are doing, and had some level of tactical training and were handling the firearms well. Criminals recognize that same body language and responded to it. When criminals are contained in a vehicle with no way to escape with 2 guns pointed at them, compliance is their best bet. She had reasonable cover, and he had a more aggressive position if some what more exposed. The one guy in that comes in the back is real close to a cross fire though.

They at that time were not in the victims home or property either.

True. It could go either way. Since they were positively ID'd as the perps who did the burglary, you would inform them there were being detained for law enforcement and were under a citizens arrest.

A BIG no no would be to shoot at one of them escaping. Wonder what the plan was if one of them ran?

Of course it would be. You would have to let them get out of the vehicle for that. They had a nice perimeter on them, had them contained in the vehicle. A good command presence and suitable commands should keep them contained. You do not have to be nice to them. " Any movement to leave the vehicle I will assume you have a weapon and you will be shot" You can lie to them, hell they burglarized your home, say what ever you have to.

If you roll over and let these pieces of sh*t get away with these crimes, then they win. I do not know if you have ever been the victim of a personal crime like burglary, but these pieces of shot go into YOUR home and take your SHOT, you will want to try and capture them.

As I am writing this, I am listening to Clackamas County Sheriff call where a home owner came home and found a burglar leaving his house and is currently holding the suspect on the ground at gunpoint. There are 3 SO units code 3 to the scene right now. He was told to holster the weapon when the LEO arrive and he said he will.

You raise legitimate and valid points. I am not cracking on your opinions or comments. These are my opinions and my reactions. I like to watch these videos to learn from them. I also get training beyond simple gun handling and shooting. I have been the victim of this same type of crime.

Understanding what to do, when to do it and how to do it will make you feel a lot more confident in your ability to handle such a situation. Being able to apply the training you have is key. I commend them for what they did. More people need to do things like that.

If shots were fired, people were shot, lawyers and the perps would take everything you own after the trial.
If the perps were black, these good people would be crucified!

I'm actually surprised they are not being charged for something.

Is it right that scum have the law to protect them?, yes and no. Not everyone is cut out to be a vigilante. We don't want shoplifters being chased down by armed citizens with questionable weapons skills or questionable maturity levels.

These guys and gal did everything right though, except perhaps legality.

Maybe it's legal if you confront them about stolen property.....
They verbally threaten you and make a move towards the car, maybe getting a gun??
You then draw on them, fearing for your life, and hold them in position until cops arrive.

I don't know, a TV and a kids gift wouldn't be worth risking jail time etc. to me. You have the vid already and you spot them, why not lay low, tail them while waiting for the cops?

Yes BTW my family has been burgled and in the heat of the moment your reactions might not be so rational.

We had another car break in (smashed window) two days ago next door to me also. This town is full of scum.
Transients and drug addicts are coddled by our city leaders and the people who vote them in. :mad:

Stopping generous do gooders from giving them dollars at every street corner would go a long way towards cleaning this town up!

Different states have different laws. Who knows what the law is in Alabama.
Did you know in Washington you can use lethal force to stop a felony?

I'll go out on a limb and say the good guys broke the law by holding them at gun point.

Everything I've read about making a citizens arrest tells me its really the last thing I want to do. I'm glad this story worked out for the good guys though.

Here is a quick read on how to make a citizens arrest: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Citizen's-Arrest

If you are a member of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, here is pertinent advice for a 'citizen's arrest'...:rolleyes: Marty's input on this case;

Marty Hayes: Network Members: DO NOT make citizens arrests. Use force to protect yourself or loved ones, not to capture felons. Trust me on this one.

I saw footage of the "arrest" on TV! Stupid IMHO! I think that family got very lucky that the perps didn't either run or open fire.
Pretty entertaining though!:p

I'll go out on a limb and say the good guys broke the law by holding them at gun point.

Everything I've read about making a citizens arrest tells me its really the last thing I want to do. I'm glad this story worked out for the good guys though.

Here is a quick read on how to make a citizens arrest: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Citizen's-Arrest

My understanding is that it varies from state to state, county to county and often even on which prosecutor is looking at the case. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know what the situation is in Jefferson County, AL.

erm....just because you can, doesn't mean you should--or that those 12 sympathetic folk in the box at your trial would agree that what you did was reasonable and necessary....:rolleyes:
I agree. But that's not what the point if the post was. It was to point out that different laws exist in different states.
Like in Arkansas it's legal to drink while driving as long as your bac is under the legal limit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top