JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or maybe just people try to profit to much?

I've been away from the forum for awhile and just poked in again here the other day since I'm looking for a new (for me) carry gun.
Noticed in the classified section that a lot of the sellers asking prices HIGHER than we can go out and buy them brand new and unused for!
WTF is up with that?

Am I missing some benefit from buying used? :huh:

Or maybe just people try to profit to much?

I've been away from the forum for awhile and just poked in again here the other day since I'm looking for a new (for me) carry gun.
Noticed in the classified section that a lot of the sellers asking prices HIGHER than we can go out and buy them brand new and unused for!
WTF is up with that?

Am I missing some benefit from buying used? :huh:

I completely agree. The only benefit is its not on paper and people could buy illegally. Most guns I see on here are the same price brand new or more expensive. Another common problem is people buy a gun, trick it out then shoot it and realize they don't like it so they add a bunch of cash for the extras they bought. You can find good deals from time to time though, I lucked out and got a s&w 642 for 300 bucks 2 weeks back

That's why I ended up buying new. I actually saved money from the used prices that I had been seeing. I don't dare make someone an offer in fear they'll get all bent out of shape.
Mike

deadhorse.gif
I actually wanted to start a thread devoted to crazy ad prices that i come accross on here and outdoorstrader. i figured we have just one thread to post the absurd prices but i am sure feelings will get hurt quickly

As long as people keep paying the price that is being asked the prices will continue to be high. Also with the Obama administration in office I believe that is still deep in the back of peoples minds and they are willing to pay the highter prices. Now not only do we have the Obama administration to contend with but with the Republican front runner Gov. Romney and his stance making "assult type weapons" illegal in Mass. That only adds fuel to the fire to keeping prices high. It's not all bad, Ruger has had a great year and they are being touted as a buy on their stock by some investment groups. At least firearms manufaturers are keeping some people employed. I say if you can afford it buy a gun and ammo a month, with cash not on credit. It is my hope to those of you that read this you have had a blessed Christmas and the Lord guides, directs and blesses you and your family and friends in the year to come.:s0155:

deadhorse.gif
I actually wanted to start a thread devoted to crazy ad prices that i come accross on here and outdoorstrader. i figured we have just one thread to post the absurd prices but i am sure feelings will get hurt quickly

Do it!
If somebody get there feelings hurt for trying to be greedy, they should get a new tampax. And as 'Working 4 U' stated too, there is plenty off dumb people out there that doesn't research things.
And also the lack of paper trail thing is interesting!
How do we check the offered items isn't stolen? That's the main reason I can see that nobody want it to be traceable...

Just because you, a potential buyer, think the price is crazy, it does not necessarily mean that it is. Example: Buy a new gun for $500. Shoot it, put about a 100 rounds down range and then realize: not for me. So, lists the gun for $475 - $500. Is that being crazy or greedy? Has the value depreciated much? No. That is just trying to get what you have into it, out of it. And, if someone customizes their weapon, that also does not depreciate the value(unless it was a hatchet job). However, listing it like that tends to bring out the guys that say: "Hey, its used, I will give you $300 for it". To me that is being greedy. Also, a normal to higher price, allows the seller some negotiation room, especially with the common lowballers out there. And typically it is the lowballers who want something for nothing that do most of the complaining.
Just because a gun is purchased and walks out the door, it does not loose half of its value, unlike a car.
Plus, there is a lot to be considered when purchasing or trading such as: pay for background check, gas to get there and back, shipping, transfer cost, and time.
Besides, if you don't like the price on some thing you see then do some looking around. Take the time and do some research, determine if new or use is better for you and then move on.

Last Edited:
Plus, there is a lot to be considered when purchasing or trading such as: pay for background check, gas to get there and back, shipping, transfer cost, and time.
Besides, if you don't like the price on some thing you see then do some looking around. Take the time and do some research, determine if new or use is better for you and then move on.

Shipping for accessories, ammo, etc alone can get up 20-150 dollars.
Anyone who has bought ammo online can attest to this for sure.

Hey i've been gone for awhile and noticed there were only 15 new threads on the high prices.....

Why do people complain on this?? It's a sellers asking price- either make an offer, move along and keep looking or DRIVE DOWN TO SAID STORE WHERE YOU CAN BUY CHEAPER AND BUY IT!

Ill post up on this because #1 i post on all my ads that if you feel the price isnt fair feel free to Pm me and tell me why.
#2 he actually PMed me and told me i was asking too much because he could get the gun i had for sale on another site for less new.
I now bring up a few of my own points, if you buy the new gun from another site you pay shipping, and your ffl transfer fee so now the gun is about 20-50 less than what you originally asked for your used gun. Now you take into account the mods I have done, front sight 30 and install 45 grips 25 and then two holsters a blade tech 55 and a desantos leather. So if you where to buy all that seperate the price would be quite a bit higher than what your paying for just a new gun. Plus you get alot more and really you get what you pay for. So for 50 bucks more your getting all the mods plus holsters. Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Im not harping on the OP im just stating facts. It always seems to be the people shopping for guns that think that the price is too high but when they sell theirs they want top dollar which is unrealistic. Also like EJ stated in his post, alot of people lowball and it allows you to get what you want and keeps the tire kickers away.
Also if people would actually try and talk to the sellers rather than going oh well thats too high you might actually work a deal out.
It seems like alot of people are out to find "great deals" and thats not really how selling or buying works unless your just willing to sit there and wait for a long time.

Matt

It seems like alot of people are out to find "great deals" and thats not really how selling or buying works unless your just willing to sit there and wait for a long time.
+1 about talking with the seller/buyer

That depends, some sellers are looking to liquidate firearm assets because
A) The Boss (wife or spouse) says get rid of it or
B) the seller needs cash.

Most people here, I imagine, aren't looking to sell their things for less than what it's worth. I think this needs to be taken into account before one looks for something to buy.

All good points and opinions!
I like that it turns into a good discussion and not a bunch of BS which is so common on forums. And yes, I will most likely buy new since there is no benefits from paying the same for used. Especially since a lot of sellers don't even know how much there guns been used... Make you wonder sometimes about how/who's gun they are trying to sell doesn't it?

(anybody know how to actually check if an firearm is 'legit' BTW? Serial numbers to the police? ATF?)

I'm new to Northwest Firearms but I have been around awhile buying, selling and using firearms. My observation on this site and others is seeing a large mixed bag of prices. This includes places like GunBroker.com where you see both individuals and dealers selling their goods side by side. The internet has changed the face of purchasing firearms. If one does a little research and is patient he or she can find very good deals that are safe. What really amazes me is a site like GunBrokers where you see the same firearm make and model NIB selling for such a wide range of prices. And as PhantomWorks points out many times new is cheaper than used. I also agree with cotillion people add the cost of extras onto the price of the firearm they are trying to sell. My recommendation to anyone purchasing a firearm is simple 1. Research the item, 2. If at all possible try before you buy, 3. Be careful, if it is too good to be true then it probably is, red flags should pop up. Try this, ask the person "If I take this to my State Trooper friend and he runs the numbers what will happen?", 4. Get a receipt. I pay close attention to the person or the dealers past reviews and ratings. When I see someone with 10 or more transactions and their ratings are 100% positive then I am more comfortable in moving forward with a purchase or trade. Pursuing references is also a smart thing to do. There are many reputable dealers and honest people out there but the buyer must always beware.

Total Mixed bag. I got a complete steal on a Spike's AR with RR lower but have paid middlin' prices for a couple handguns. I've got several excellent deals on ancillary stuff (primers, etc).

Finding out if a gun has been reported stolen is easy.

Call The Oregon State Police and have the serial number checked out for free, quick and easy.

<broken link removed>

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

The Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

Have you used that? I was under the impression in Oregon they won't run a gun against NCIC unless you physically bring it into them (so they can immediately confiscate it if it comes back dirty).

Funny, I never see a post here from someone bubbleguming because they got a good deal! If you don't like someones price it's none of your business. The end.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top