JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently, I noticed that S&W M&P15-22 rifles has gone up on prices just like everyhting else. Prices are close to 500.00 and over. With that price, I might as well get a higher quality AR 22. Is there other suggestions than S&W in the $5 to 600.00 range? I can pick up a basic AR15 for that price.

One of my (yet to do) projects......

The building of a dedicated (1:16 twist barreled) AR upper in 22LR that uses my G.I. M261 conversion kit.

Aloha, Mark

PS......I once bought an old "shot out" M16 barrel intending to get a liner put in. But, like Elvis.....that thought, has left the room.

Recently, I noticed that S&W M&P15-22 rifles has gone up on prices just like everyhting else. Prices are close to 500.00 and over. With that price, I might as well get a higher quality AR 22. Is there other suggestions than S&W in the $5 to 600.00 range? I can pick up a basic AR15 for that price.
what are you looking for? does it have to take standard AR triggers? does it have to have AR ergos? some good 22s out there. what barrel lengths? pistol or rifle? HK 416 22lr would be my first choice. I own it in pistol form and also the 15-22 rifle. mp-5 22 has the same internals as the hk 416 (both made by walther in germany) but mp-5 is going to have a worse trigger and much less accurate if that matters. ANy of these walther built guns are very reliable/well built and you can change the bolt speed for different ammo if desired . The only reason I keep my 15-22 is because I have a binary trigger in it. Other than that it feels like a lightweight plastic toy to me. Also my hk 416 is more accurate than 15-22 despite being a much shorter barrel. MP-5 is least accurate of the 3.

I got a sort of look-alike AR and G36 built on Ruger 10/22s.

Back then....the Archangel kits were cheap enough for me. And, I could easily pick up a Ruger 10/22 at a reasonable price (w/o too much paperwork).

YES, I-1639 did act as a deterrent to this law-abiding WA resident.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
what are you looking for? does it have to take standard AR triggers? does it have to have AR ergos? some good 22s out there. what barrel lengths? pistol or rifle? HK 416 22lr would be my first choice. I own it in pistol form and also the 15-22 rifle. mp-5 22 has the same internals as the hk 416 (both made by walther in germany) but mp-5 is going to have a worse trigger and much less accurate if that matters. ANy of these walther built guns are very reliable/well built and you can change the bolt speed for different ammo if desired . The only reason I keep my 15-22 is because I have a binary trigger in it. Other than that it feels like a lightweight plastic toy to me. Also my hk 416 is more accurate than 15-22 despite being a much shorter barrel. MP-5 is least accurate of the 3.

what are you looking for? does it have to take standard AR triggers? does it have to have AR ergos? some good 22s out there. what barrel lengths? pistol or rifle? HK 416 22lr would be my first choice. I own it in pistol form and also the 15-22 rifle. mp-5 22 has the same internals as the hk 416 (both made by walther in germany) but mp-5 is going to have a worse trigger and much less accurate if that matters. ANy of these walther built guns are very reliable/well built and you can change the bolt speed for different ammo if desired . The only reason I keep my 15-22 is because I have a binary trigger in it. Other than that it feels like a lightweight plastic toy to me. Also my hk 416 is more accurate than 15-22 despite being a much shorter barrel. MP-5 is least accurate of th

Thanks for suggestions and advise. My first choice for AR platform 22 would be Tippmann 22. They are hard to get and price up. Second choice is 15-22. Might change my mind and stick with Ruger 10/22 and build up a tactical 22 from a basic rifle.

It's not like it's a potato where it is bought and then consumed.
In the real world a good gun can be used for a lifetime and then sold for "dollars".

The M&P15/22 is a great platform. I got one for my son when he was 10 and he was dead on with it right out of the box bone stock. That was 7 years ago when they were like 400 bucks. Even for 600 if thats what they are going for these days you couldnt go wrong.

Speaking of NW Armory, a quick search on their website produced this…..

I own a 15-22. Operates perfectly. I've also recently shot the HK416, a similar carbine but with an aluminum lower. The perfect functioning and pleasing accuracy is the same between both carbines. :D

Last Edited:
I've been wanting to do an AR 22. I too looked at those available and nothing out there really excites me. I'll likely build my own especially if those in existence are creeping up in price.

I looked around at the 15-22 and tippman, but didn't particularly care for them. Kinda feel like toy guns and I was looking more for something to run AR drills on that was more affordable to plink with... vs... a really "high end' 22lr. We have a couple of the CMMG AR drop ins that I like, for what they are, so decided to go a step further with a dedicated 22lr upper build for the same "feel", but increased accuracy. I'm really quite happy with it and it didn't break the bank. All told I put about $360 into it (all new) including another CMMG bolt with the collar adapter, 3-25rnd mags, dedicated CMMG charge handle and a buffer plug. The barrel took up about $150 of that.

I dont know that I would put it up to the accuracy level of my 10-22, but it's pretty dang close. That being said, I stuck a cheapo $12 red dot on it so a better optic would likely increase the accuracy a touch more. It's on my list.

Slapping it on one of my higher end build lowers and it shoots like a dream, though.

I looked around at the 15-22 and tippman, but didn't particularly care for them. Kinda feel like toy guns and I was looking more for something to run AR drills on that was more affordable to plink with... vs... a really "high end' 22lr. We have a couple of the CMMG AR drop ins that I like, for what they are, so decided to go a step further with a dedicated 22lr upper build for the same "feel", but increased accuracy. I'm really quite happy with it and it didn't break the bank. All told I put about $360 into it (all new) including another CMMG bolt with the collar adapter, 3-25rnd mags, dedicated CMMG charge handle and a buffer plug. The barrel took up about $150 of that.

I dont know that I would put it up to the accuracy level of my 10-22, but it's pretty dang close. That being said, I stuck a cheapo $12 red dot on it so a better optic would likely increase the accuracy a touch more. It's on my list.

Slapping it on one of my higher end build lowers and it shoots like a dream, though.
Could have sworn I saw that CMMG drop-in on sale last week. I don't know where. It may have been mentioned here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top