JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been mulling the idea over about getting a heavier caliber long gun. I have an ar15, and a ruger mini14.

I love shooting the mini, but it is an older one and the barrel is kind of whippy , so the accuracy ain't wonderful.
It am considering either a Mini 30, or a socom m1a in .308 or possibly a Remington 700 in .308.

I know that the Remington is about half the price as the other 2 and is legendary for its accuracy.

The Remington is also much lighter than the Socom and a bit lighter than the mini 30.

The socom and the mini are more compact too, the remington is a long long gun.

The socom is at the top of my budget.

I just wanted to have a heavier caliber in case I want to shoot a deer or antelope some day, and to have a more rounded out collection.

Any advice or other ideas as far as another rifle to consider that would have better than average out of the box accuracy?

For use as a hunting gun the Remington 700 would be my pick of what you've presented. A Winchester Model 70 or a Savage 110 would also fit the bill nicely.
The M1A Socom, nice as it may be, is really just a neutered battle rifle and not great as a hunting gun. The Mini-30 is just an overgrown Mini-14 with a relatively wimpy 30 caliber chambering.
Stick with a good bolt gun and don't scrimp on your glass and mounts.

If an M1A is in your price range, and already being familiar with the AR platform, I'm surprised you didn't list an AR-10 as an option. You can play with the light, cheap, accurate scales to best fit your needs while being able to reconfigure if desired

If an M1A is in your price range, and already being familiar with the AR platform, I'm surprised you didn't list an AR-10 as an option. You can play with the light, cheap, accurate scales to best fit your needs while being able to reconfigure if desired
That is a solid tip, thank you. I am not certain why I didn't think of it either. Sounds like the Mini 30 out of the box does not like steel cased ammo. You have to get a longer firing pin. I am going to look into the AR10. and get more info... Thanks

I have been mulling the idea over about getting a heavier caliber long gun. I have an ar15, and a ruger mini14.

I love shooting the mini, but it is an older one and the barrel is kind of whippy , so the accuracy ain't wonderful.
It am considering either a Mini 30, or a socom m1a in .308 or possibly a Remington 700 in .308.

I know that the Remington is about half the price as the other 2 and is legendary for its accuracy.

The Remington is also much lighter than the Socom and a bit lighter than the mini 30.

I just wanted to have a heavier caliber in case I want to shoot a deer or antelope some day, and to have a more rounded out collection.

Any advice or other ideas as far as another rifle to consider that would have better than average out of the box accuracy?
Accuracy schmaccuracy….. get a 45/70 and put some hair on ur chest!

Jk! agree with the above Tikka or begara 308. Also a great caliber to practice yardage drops….

0210bullet1.jpg

Op , explore this tangent a little. Don't let the price of 45-70 scare you. You won't be shooting much of it .

I own the socom, if I could do it over again, I would have got the squad scout M1A instead.
Slightly longer but from my understanding it has a "standard" op-rod versus the more proprietary Socom.

The socom is not bad. I'll never sell it.. but I still lust after an M1A with a longer barrel. I may still get the standard length Springfield M1A. I also have not taken it beyond 150 yards either. It's just not a firearm I shoot much.

However your needs are for hunting in brush.. R700 and Mini 30 would do just fine, heck an SKS could get the job done as well..

Side note, Mini 30 has been on my list.. I too own a mini 14 and love it, however the thought of the mini 30 and having to get proprietary, expensive mags turned me off. For the right price I'd still pick one up, but I won't go out of my way for one.

If you don't like the "standard" Rem. 700, they make (or made) a "tactical" version with a shorter barrel.

Somebody mentioned the AR10, I had one made by Armalite. I liked it but I didn't use it for hunting. Now my only .308 Win. semi auto is an M1 Rifle.

My .308 bolt gun is a beater Winchester Mod. 70 that is a tack driver. It's one of those ugly guns that you don't sell because it shoots so well.

Henry single shot.
I don't know if this was intended as a joke, but I've go two of them. One in .45-70, the other in .357 Magnum. I like them both. Quite superior to the earlier New England Firearms single shots (which I have many of). We won't even talk about Rossi and other imported single shots.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews