JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have a link to an official atf site stating the actual date the brace ban takes effect? I mean I searched for about an hour tonight and I can't find anything official. Sorry if has already been posted on here, but I couldn't find it...
No official guide lines have been 100
So no OFFICIAL date on when atf worksheet 4999 gets implemented and we are all up a creek???
Yep we're all keyboard warriors on night shift

Ok.. so I guess "crater" is a bit of an exaggeration... It takes $200 to make it legal.
AR pistol will be a thing of the past. People will go back to 14.5in pinned barrels like they did before braces. I myself won't pay the fed $200 just for a short barrel AR. is it worth the extra cost Maybe to the feds uh nope.

AR pistol will be a thing of the past. People will go back to 14.5in pinned barrels like they did before braces. I myself won't pay the fed $200 just for a short barrel AR is it worth the extra cost Maybe to the feds uh nope.
AR pistols will still be a thing, just like they were a thing before braces came about.

AR pistol will be a thing of the past. People will go back to 14.5in pinned barrels like they did before braces. I myself won't pay the fed $200 just for a short barrel AR. is it worth the extra cost Maybe to the feds uh nope.
No, a 10.5 with a suppressor is a better home defense weapon over a 14.5 pinned. There will always be a place for an SBR for close quarters.

Can you explain further for me? Is it more hoops than buying a rifle? I guess I'm just not knowledgeable on this subject but I thought I could just get the stamp and it's all good. In fact the benefit in getting an AR pistol and the stamp is that you can switch between the two. But you can't do that the other way around.
Below is how I understand it. This is not advice or instructions, and I may get part of it wrong.

To buy a regular rifle you fill out a form 4473 and the shop submits the form over the phone or the internet. Approval is often a matter of minutes. Then you perform whatever additional steps your state may require.

To buy an SBR, you perform the above steps, get your fingerprints done and notarized, submit an additional form to the ATF along with your check for $200, then wait to hear back from them while your FFL holds the rifle. The wait can be anywhere from 3 to 24 months. You will eventually receive a tax stamp, which you don't have to keep with the gun, but you must not lose, because they don't send replacements. You cannot loan the gun to a friend. You cannot store the gun off your property - the address you supplied on the form. If you want to sell the gun it's the same process for the new owner, plus you have to notify the ATF that you don't own the gun anymore. If you want to take the gun out of state, you have to notify the ATF ahead of time.

If you are converting an existing gun from a pistol to an SBR, it's a different form but similar steps to above, not including the 4473 or storage since you already own the gun. You can't convert the pistol to an SBR until you get your stamp.

I don't know if you can convert back and forth between pistol and SBR without notifying the ATF, but someone else will surely be along soon to let us know. :) It's a great bunch here by and large, and we have some very knowledgeable and helpful members.

No, a 10.5 with a suppressor is a better home defense weapon over a 14.5 pinned. There will always be a place for an SBR for close quarters.
The market for AR pistols exploded due to the brace. It made it so you had the advantage of the SBR without jumping through the hoops and hassles. When they finally say no more on the braces the market will drop like a rock. Some will still want them but only a drop in the bucket compared to now. The AR pistol is FAR from something new. When the ATF finally gave in and let the brace thing go the market exploded with these things. People then started really pushing the line of "brace" and all could see what was going to happen. Once it finally does there will be a HUGE drop off of people wanting these and a LOT of those who have one will lose interest in it. That is what will tank the market.

The market for AR pistols exploded due to the brace. It made it so you had the advantage of the SBR without jumping through the hoops and hassles. When they finally say no more on the braces the market will drop like a rock. Some will still want them but only a drop in the bucket compared to now. The AR pistol is FAR from something new. When the ATF finally gave in and let the brace thing go the market exploded with these things. People then started really pushing the line of "brace" and all could see what was going to happen. Once it finally does there will be a HUGE drop off of people wanting these and a LOT of those who have one will lose interest in it. That is what will tank the market.
1655965342446.jpeg

That's an 11.5 on the left. That's a pin and welded surefire 3 prong flash hider on the right to get that 16.1

That seems to be the route to take, however, the loaded pistol working with the CPL would no longer apply, but then it just becomes a matter of keeping the mag with the rifle and inserting it and racking it.

View attachment 1227217

That's an 11.5 on the left. That's a pin and welded surefire 3 prong flash hider on the right to get that 16.1

That seems to be the route to take, however, the loaded pistol working with the CPL would no longer apply, but then it just becomes a matter of keeping the mag with the rifle and inserting it and racking it.
Not sure what I will do with mine yet. I have a 5.5 upper that I REALLY love in 9mm. I have played with it with the brace off and using the sling and tube. Its not nearly as nice as the brace but is FAR easier than trying to hold it like a pistol. Since its a casper gun I will probably just use it like this, do something with the brace. Bought a dozen 80% lowers when this first got going too. Not sure what will happen to them. :(

Ok.. so I guess "crater" is a bit of an exaggeration... It takes $200 to make it legal.
And it takes an electronic form, including your picture and a set of your fingerprints and a wait of 2-6 months
I'm confused why AR pistol prices would "crater" because of this? If anything prices would drop $200 to cover tax stamp.. or am I missing something?
It's cheaper to stop making the AR pistols. Guns stores don't like being holding facilities Holding a rifle for 6 months uses space that could be better used by new merchandise. People have the option of building their own SBR, filing the forms from home and mailing in their prints. I kept everything at home, just not assembled till the stamp arrived. Make sure to have several copies of your stamp and store them in separate places. You need to have a copy of your tax stamp with you whenever you take your NFA item out to the range or whatever.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads