JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The more I talk with people about carrying on campus, the more people seem to be going back about how irresponsible college students are. This is not about whether college age students should allowed to carry or possess firearms. Also, OUS doesn't own the campus. The students, and their supportive parents don't either. Every inch of OUS campus is public property.

You can always think of SOME reason that someone shouldn't do something. That's the point of freedom though, you make decisions for yourself. The government and by extension the State Higher Board of Education should not be in charge of deciding how students live. Not all of us going to college are 17 and just left home and Mom's teet. In fact, a growing number of college students are former military with combat experience. That could be why this whole thing is getting more and more attention, more former military on campus that won't go anywhere without a pistol for defense.

I really shouldn't even bother to respond to Minnesota because he has been watching too much CBS and CNN and they have told him guns are vicious killers that make anyone who touch them in to a homicidal sociopath. I had to deal with kids like you in my PolySci classes too. God I wish you had to go live in a 3rd world country for a few years before you started college and your head filled with air. In any case, I never said I was better or perfect than anyone, I am merely pointing out that I am a college student, have a very stressful schedule and yet, I still manage to not snap and go on a shooting rampage. As a matter of fact, no college student in Oregon, EVER, has snapped and gone on a shooting rampage while at school. Interesting, so students have been armed all this time and yet, no school massacres...We should save them from themselves before it happens!

Once you and the rest of the anti-gun crazies have actual REAL VERIFIABLE facts to back up your accusations, maybe, just MAYBE, gun owners will start to take you seriously. However, as you are a FUTURE college student with ZERO evidence to back up your statements, your words are meaningless and purely designed to fear people in to believing what you want.

Furthermore, if you are supposedly 32 and are going back to college for a third time this fall you wasted a ton of money. Your writing and language skills are horrible. I've read papers out of a third grade class that are composed better. It's sort of funny you made some half composed statement about the definition of "professional," or at least I'm assuming that's what you intended given your piss poor sentence structure. Being a professional and being taken seriously by a group of people in conversation means not sounding like a middle school drop out because you can't use capitals, spaces, and proper punctuation. Honestly, I should demand one of our state senators looks in to your file and forces you to return the government handouts that you took to facilitate funding your "education" because you wasted my tax dollars by sucking at life. That is of course actually believing your story, which is thin at best.

Students:

As you may have learned by now via news media coverage, the Oregon Board of Higher Education last Friday approved a new policy on firearms for the Oregon University System, including Oregon State University.

The new policy, which took effect upon passage, forbids students, employees, individuals with a business interest with the campus (such as vendors and contractors), event attendees, those who rent or lease university property and campus visitors from carrying a firearm on Board-owned or controlled property. Such property includes all OUS campus buildings, sports or performance venues and workplaces, and the prohibition is effective whether or not an individual holds a concealed handgun license.

The policy also authorizes several exceptions to the firearms prohibition, including on-duty law enforcement officers and public safety personnel, military program participants (such as ROTC), and residents of a family housing dwelling. The latter specifically does not include residence halls, where the policy bans firearm possession.

Individuals found in violation of the policy may face punishment through means specific to their relationship to the university. Students will be held accountable under the student conduct code and employees under OSU employment policies. Contractors, vendors, event attendees, those who rent or lease university property and other visitors to OSU will be subject to exclusion from campus.

The new policy was created following an Oregon Court of Appeals decision last fall ruling that the Board lacked the authority to regulate guns through use of an administrative rule. Yet, at the time, the Court also recognized that the Board has been granted by the Oregon Legislature broad policy control over OUS property. It is pursuant to that principle that the Board created the new policy.

OSU supports this important advance in policy, as well as the Board’s “recognition of its obligation to provide a safe environment to its students, employees, visitors, vendors and patrons,” as the Board’s memorandum on the new policy states. Should you have questions regarding the policy or its enforcement at Oregon State, please contact the OSU Dept. of Public Safety at 541-737-3010.

For your convenience and further information, links are provided below to the new OUS policy and multiple media accounts of Friday’s Board action.

Mark McCambridge

Vice President, Finance & Administration

Jack T. Rogers

Director, OSU Dept of Public Safety

•See pp. 29-32, “Action Item 5C” on the March 2, Oregon Board of Higher Education, agenda at <broken link removed>.
•The Oregonian Oregon State Board of Higher Education resorts to policy to ban guns on campus | OregonLive.com
•Register-Guard <broken link removed>
•Associated Press via Gazette-Times <broken link removed>

Wow, OSU bans guns.....Color me SHOCKED! I tell you, SHOCKED!

I still don't understand why these laws/rules/policies are popping up. Nearly every school shooting has been at campuses that have this act law/rule/policy. The day there is a news story called "School shooting foiled by student with concealed handgun" will be a sweet sweet victory.

It is a natural human tendency to want to "do something" when a tragedy such as a school shooting occurs.

Since they cant actually solve the underlying problems that caused the tragedy, they do what they feel is the next best thing--which is to write more laws.

Enacting the new laws wont actually change anything, but it will allow the people who wrote them to "make a statement" and bask in a warm, fuzzy feeling of accomplishment while they put "no guns allowed" stickers on the doors.

I am a lawyer. Yes, I admit it. I also have one or two other real world skills, so don't shoot!! I am not an expert in administrative law, but I am interested in this issue (and all issues affecting the rights of gun owners) so I did a bit of research.

Most adversarial legal actions require standing. Simply put, standing means that the plaintiff or petitioner has to claim that they have been actually harmed by the defendant or respondent in order to get the dispute before a judge or jury. Normal standing, however, is not required to seek judicial review of an agency's action under the Oregon Administrative Procedures Act (APA). ORS 183.400(1) states that "any person" may petition the court of appeals to review the validity of a rule (policies are included per the statutory definition of "rule" at ORS 183.310(9)). Nonetheless, the court would likely require actual adversity between the parties. A series of cases makes it apparent that the court will look at the circumstances of the parties to determine justiciability. Which is a roundabout way of saying the court will require "soft" standing, but not a showing of actual harm as required in most cases. Bottom line: this can be challenged in the courts without someone making a ruckus in order to be a test case.

Been to law school myself and I'll take your word for it. Now the question in my mind is, if I have tickets to an on-campus event, and I am a CHL holder, is that enough of a concern on my part to warrant a hearing?

I only find myself on campus anymore for football games (OSU, season tickets)- I intend to carry concealed there, leave my weapon in the lock box I have installed in my truck, and carry home. Against the rules, but I have confidence in my ability to not get "made" for carrying, and the lock box is hidden so even someone looking for it wouldn't see it- the likelihood of getting caught is slim. I agree with the other statement of "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" especially on a trespassing beef...

you know what, I fully support our rights, and the right to carry and love it. I will be going to OSU next fall, fulltime, for two years, hopefully only two, and would i like to carry, YES, but, look at what is going on, most of you have no idea what a kid is feeling after studying 18 hours a day, and sometimes not sleeping, and then gets a test back that is bad, or a stupid parking ticket mult. times because the campus is retarded, and then you cant add a class you want and you have to call 20 people to get a override, or you have to take a summer class and get no break.
You're talking about a "kid" which means what?
Legal age to vote and smoke?
We're talking about FIREARMS and CHLs, which means 21 years of age or OLDER.*

I believe you have serious trust issues.
You call a guy a straight, upstanding guy, but then you say he would shoot you under stress. What kind of upstanding guy would shoot you under stress? Again trust issues.

You talk about people snapping, does this mean you are a man of experience in this area? Have you found yourself angry or snapping enough to threaten someone with a firearm, even at yourself? If so, I am of the opinion you should seriously consider some sort of therapy.

*with clean record

\I really shouldn't even bother to respond to Minnesota because he has been watching too much CBS and CNN and they have told him guns are vicious killers that make anyone who touch them in to a homicidal sociopath. I had to deal with kids like you in my PolySci classes too. God I wish you had to go live in a 3rd world country for a few years before you started college and your head filled with air. In any case, I never said I was better or perfect than anyone, I am merely pointing out that I am a college student, have a very stressful schedule and yet, I still manage to not snap and go on a shooting rampage. As a matter of fact, no college student in Oregon, EVER, has snapped and gone on a shooting rampage while at school. Interesting, so students have been armed all this time and yet, no school massacres...We should save them from themselves before it happens!

Once you and the rest of the anti-gun crazies have actual REAL VERIFIABLE facts to back up your accusations, maybe, just MAYBE, gun owners will start to take you seriously. However, as you are a FUTURE college student with ZERO evidence to back up your statements, your words are meaningless and purely designed to fear people in to believing what you want.

Furthermore, if you are supposedly 32 and are going back to college for a third time this fall you wasted a ton of money. Your writing and language skills are horrible. I've read papers out of a third grade class that are composed better. It's sort of funny you made some half composed statement about the definition of "professional," or at least I'm assuming that's what you intended given your piss poor sentence structure. Being a professional and being taken seriously by a group of people in conversation means not sounding like a middle school drop out because you can't use capitals, spaces, and proper punctuation. Honestly, I should demand one of our state senators looks in to your file and forces you to return the government handouts that you took to facilitate funding your "education" because you wasted my tax dollars by sucking at life. That is of course actually believing your story, which is thin at best.

lol, alright, hard to argue with someone that cant read, this would be my second degree, so second time in college and yes CBS has taught me to HOLD MY GUNS BECAUSE OF people like you that cant see any other way than one sided. I got A's in my psych classes, because it was interesting to me that there are people like you out there that cannot even stop for a second to think or consider someone elses viewpoint. And those tax dollars you are talking about, you are a idiot, Ill send you the reciepts and dates of fullfillment on the promisary notes or loans that I had to pay back. Maybe you were able to steal money from us the tax payers to go to school, but then again, you can't even read all of a person's post, so why should i think you are smart enought to even debate

You're talking about a "kid" which means what?
Legal age to vote and smoke?
We're talking about FIREARMS and CHLs, which means 21 years of age or OLDER.*

I believe you have serious trust issues.
You call a guy a straight, upstanding guy, but then you say he would shoot you under stress. What kind of upstanding guy would shoot you under stress? Again trust issues.

You talk about people snapping, does this mean you are a man of experience in this area? Have you found yourself angry or snapping enough to threaten someone with a firearm, even at yourself? If so, I am of the opinion you should seriously consider some sort of therapy.

*with clean record

well that is your interpretation of my words, we call someone our our age at work, kid, and quote me where I made a distictions or definition of the word Kid", fine one sided arguement, ok, you win, what do you want.....and the referring to my lab partner, I never said He is going to be the one to do what you say, in reference, it could be him, or anyone....you people like to hammer down on others but can't even read a post and actually think about it. you have your mind up way before the end of the paragraph. again, these days words i guess have no meanings because no one reads, or looks at all of them, just what they want to argue or disagree on. kinda like TMZ. Hey maybe some of you can finally get a job, call them up

lol, alright, hard to argue with someone that cant read, this would be my second degree, so second time in college and yes CBS has taught me to HOLD MY GUNS BECAUSE OF people like you that cant see any other way that one sided. I got A's in my pych classes, because it was interesting to me that there are people like you out there that cannot even stop for a second to think or consider someone elses viewpoint. And those tax dollars you are talking about, you are a idiot, Ill send you the reciepts and dates of fullfillment on the promisary notes or loans that I had to pay back. Maybe you were able to steal money from us the tax payers to go to school, but then again, you can't even read all of a person's post, so why should i think you are smart enought to even debate

Like I said, "thin at best." Your reasoning is still anti-gun, Brady campaign, propaganda and has no actual facts behind it. You're right though, I do have the taxpayers paying for my education. I earned it from 3 combat deployments. Thanks for the rebuttal that said absolutely nothing about the topic.

your service is appreciated, im sorry I couldnt have joined you, but the mental ward said my broken leg 2 years previous was enough to wash out. but you and I do not need to talk about this anymore. I dont care what you have to say about me after this, but i agree to disagree. so hope you have a nice night, kinda scared me after a day and half you responded in 5 seconds, so take care, i need to get back to a few things needing taking care of.

Just a heads up, FYI etc.
anyone wanting to make your life a living hell can turn that post into DHS and get you on thier "Probable Terrorist List". Your phone will be tapped as will your computer

I have a feeling everyone that is a member of this site, is on some kind of Gov watch list already.

the point im getting at is, IF YOU ARE AT COLLEGE AND DEVOTE 100% TO IT, you do have time to tap that blonde in chem class, but other than that, its 7 days a week and you are mentally drained, physically drained, emotionally drained.
:s0058:

If this is true you are also a poor student. Maybe you should take a class in time management and another to learn prioritization and then a third class in how to achieve emotional maturity in modern times.
Then again you should probably just do online study and then you don't have to give a crapp about all this stuff that's stressing you out and you can use the time you spend posting about all this to study.

Been to law school myself and I'll take your word for it. Now the question in my mind is, if I have tickets to an on-campus event, and I am a CHL holder, is that enough of a concern on my part to warrant a hearing?

Yes sir, I do believe it is. It is enough to justify the effort and expense of filing a pleading, anyway, assuming one has the funds and motivation to see it through.

The reality is that, our legal system being a human one, we might not get the right judge at first crack. An appeal (or two?) may be necessary. I do believe we would eventually achieve a favorable ruling on the standing issue under the circumstances you describe. The ultimate goal, though, will be a tougher hill to climb. Not insurmountable, but tougher than the preliminary issue of legal standing.

Note: It might be best if they were season tickets to avoid any cutesy mootness rulings.

Please don't come to OSU Minnesota, we have enough gun grabbing liberal hippies.

One a side note, I read a newpaper article from the Barometer (OSU daily newspaper)and the shooting team that said they "take no sides" in terms of carrying on campus. Pretty sad when the gunclub doesn't have the balls to stand up for 2A rights.

Please don't come to OSU Minnesota, we have enough gun grabbing liberal hippies.

One a side note, I read a newpaper article from the Barometer (OSU daily newspaper)and the shooting team that said they "take no sides" in terms of carrying on campus. Pretty sad when the gunclub doesn't have the balls to stand up for 2A rights.

They don't want the hammer to come down on them by the administration.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top