JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Students:

As you may have learned by now via news media coverage, the Oregon Board of Higher Education last Friday approved a new policy on firearms for the Oregon University System, including Oregon State University.

The new policy, which took effect upon passage, forbids students, employees, individuals with a business interest with the campus (such as vendors and contractors), event attendees, those who rent or lease university property and campus visitors from carrying a firearm on Board-owned or controlled property. Such property includes all OUS campus buildings, sports or performance venues and workplaces, and the prohibition is effective whether or not an individual holds a concealed handgun license.

The policy also authorizes several exceptions to the firearms prohibition, including on-duty law enforcement officers and public safety personnel, military program participants (such as ROTC), and residents of a family housing dwelling. The latter specifically does not include residence halls, where the policy bans firearm possession.

Individuals found in violation of the policy may face punishment through means specific to their relationship to the university. Students will be held accountable under the student conduct code and employees under OSU employment policies. Contractors, vendors, event attendees, those who rent or lease university property and other visitors to OSU will be subject to exclusion from campus.

The new policy was created following an Oregon Court of Appeals decision last fall ruling that the Board lacked the authority to regulate guns through use of an administrative rule. Yet, at the time, the Court also recognized that the Board has been granted by the Oregon Legislature broad policy control over OUS property. It is pursuant to that principle that the Board created the new policy.

OSU supports this important advance in policy, as well as the Board’s “recognition of its obligation to provide a safe environment to its students, employees, visitors, vendors and patrons,” as the Board’s memorandum on the new policy states. Should you have questions regarding the policy or its enforcement at Oregon State, please contact the OSU Dept. of Public Safety at 541-737-3010.

For your convenience and further information, links are provided below to the new OUS policy and multiple media accounts of Friday’s Board action.

Mark McCambridge

Vice President, Finance & Administration

Jack T. Rogers

Director, OSU Dept of Public Safety

•See pp. 29-32, “Action Item 5C” on the March 2, Oregon Board of Higher Education, agenda at <broken link removed>.
•The Oregonian Oregon State Board of Higher Education resorts to policy to ban guns on campus | OregonLive.com
•Register-Guard <broken link removed>
•Associated Press via Gazette-Times <broken link removed>

"Oregon State Board of Higher Education"??? Sounds like an oxymoron now to me!

This does absolutely nothing to prevent any gun related crimes or violence. Criminals will still be criminals and carry "weapons" of all sorts wherever they please. The law abiding citizen will be the only one that follows their rules and/or suffers any reprecussions.

In the end from what I understand this would violate state law, correct?

OSU supports this important advance in policy, as well as the Board's "recognition of its obligation to provide a safe environment to its students, employees, visitors, vendors and patrons," as the Board's memorandum on the new policy states.

Just like Virginia Tech.
Good going OSU, you created another shooting gallery.

Keep in mind this is how it was before at OSU and other oregon universities. They had to change their verbage because 1594 failed and they want excuses to expell and get sued which inturn cost taxpayer monies. Pure stupidity!

I wonder how this effects the OSU Pistol team? I Graduated in 2003 and my roomate and I use to go shoot at their .22 range which was on campus, as we're all the Ruger Mark II's and other pistols we shot. Anyone know if they are still there and shooting?

This is directly from the OFF website:

"The Board of Higher Education and the Oregon University System have made every effort to ignore or circumvent the Oregon Appeals Court. By doing so they have put their staff and their students in danger. We strongly recommend that if you have any reason to be on Oregon University property, you do what they have done: ignore regulations. If the OUS feels free to pay no attention to the clear direction of the Oregon Courts, any rational person would pay no attention to their unlawful regulations.

If you are a CHL holder, carry your self-defense tool. The bureaucrats at the Higher Education Board have demonstrated that they have no interest in your safety. Take care of yourself."

I agree with this completely and will continue to carry when I visit campus.

This is directly from the OFF website:

"The Board of Higher Education and the Oregon University System have made every effort to ignore or circumvent the Oregon Appeals Court. By doing so they have put their staff and their students in danger. We strongly recommend that if you have any reason to be on Oregon University property, you do what they have done: ignore regulations. If the OUS feels free to pay no attention to the clear direction of the Oregon Courts, any rational person would pay no attention to their unlawful regulations.

If you are a CHL holder, carry your self-defense tool. The bureaucrats at the Higher Education Board have demonstrated that they have no interest in your safety. Take care of yourself."

I agree with this completely and will continue to carry when I visit campus.

I read this too. While I wholeheartedly agree with OFF with respect to ignoring OUS's "policy", I am not sure I want to volunteer putting my freedom on the line trying challenge it. I think another lawsuit is in order.

I read this too. While I wholeheartedly agree with OFF with respect to ignoring OUS's "policy", I am not sure I want to volunteer putting my freedom on the line trying challenge it. I think another lawsuit is in order.

In order for a lawsuit to proceed, someone is going to have to be willing to be the test case. I don't think OFF could sue on their own behalf because they don't have standing in the case unless they are the one's that get arrested. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no plaintiff in any case yet.

All they can do is ask you to leave because you are breaking no law, so you are not in jeopardy. If you are a student, then you could be kicked out of school, but private citizens have nothing to fear.

Question though. Do they have the right to ask you to leave and then have your arrested for trespass? Because the policy says nothing about Random Joe Schmuckatelly. Is OSU private property or public?

All they can do is ask you to leave because you are breaking no law, so you are not in jeopardy. If you are a student, then you could be kicked out of school, but private citizens have nothing to fear.
I would think that the students who choose to carry have no fear of the OSU administration. I could be wrong, but highly doubt it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top