JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
See you are looking at the ruling how you want to look at it. Not what they actually said. They said that the State Board of Education could not criminalize the possession, transfer, etc. of a firearm. They specifically sited the Doe decision in that internal policies that "DO NOT CARRY THE RULE OF LAW" can be enacted by the board. It's exactly like someone said early. By entering University property you are voluntarily agreeing to a set of rules enacted by the State Board of Higher Education that does not have the force of law but, does carry the choice of service. So they can tell you to leave and charge you with trespassing if you refuse but, they can't tell you specifically you will be criminally liable for carrying a firearm on University property.The court SPECIFICALLY said in their decision they were allowed to do this. The court didn't say "No," they said "You messed up. Do it this way instead."

That is why OUS's behavior is important, because what it does is basically set stipulations for students, employees and so forth.
It more or less screws longtime employees who probably have been carrying for a long time, and now they're told if they want to continue with the education or job, they have to stop carrying.
Not everyone lives within walking distance of their job or school, nor does everyone drive. Public safety on some campuses don't even carry firearms themselves, they rely on the police to respond. Obviously the police are everywhere and we have nothing to fear. In reality it will take the police at least 5 minutes to get to a location of a shooter or attacker, so we should hold our breath for 300 seconds or more and eventually the police should come.

The decision of OUS really hurts those who are at higher risk to be targetted by muggers, rapists, etc. because this basically is telling those types of criminals that they have little to fear. Moreover it makes those at higher risk fear even more! "If I carry I could get expelled or lose my job.... But if I don't I could get mugged or raped." Anyone who has ever been raped rarely forgets and there is shame for a long long time.

My MAJOR problem with this policy or rule is that w even open campuses are affected, such as PSU (which is in downtown Portland) and what not. Open campuses means as soon as an employee or student leaves a building, they end up on a public side-walk. It's a joke to think that our streets are safe places at all times every time.

Why do anti-gunners use words like "gun free" and "safe" when the status quo emotional batters and abuses other people who don't fit into the norm?
What kind of double standard is that?
"We won't kill you, but you'll certainly want to die on a daily basis after we tell you how much of an idiot you are for voting for Y or believing in Z."
Whatever happened to universities being a place where you could disagree and it was accepted?

As for most of us on this board who:
A) aren't an employee of a university or a student, or
B) don't have loved ones going to a university, we have nothing to worry about.
But for everyone else who does, certainly it is not a happy time.

I attended OSU for several years and am enraged at this blatant violation of state law. I contacted campus security and was informed that "my opinion" regarding the LAW is open to interpretation and that school policy is the only thing they are concerned with and will enforce it! So basically you and your "rights" get the big F off and school policy trumps state law!

I immediately wrote a letter to the alum *** and informed them that I will no longer be donating a damn dime and I canceled our season tickets! Not sure how else to tell them to go to Satan's lair but at least its a start! Damn liberal moronic fools!

Well Jack, I know how you feel being an OSU alum myself. I realize that security says that they will enforce the "campus policy", but my question is will the Corvallis PD make you leave public property if you are not committing any crime? My guess is no. If that is the case then their little policy is nothing more that posturing. I suppose we will see what happens, but my guess is that OFF will challenge this once someone can be used as a test case.

Sounds to me like we need to hold an open carry event on campus. If you could get 50 people there to open carry, that would make a statement. I am sure local media would be willing to cover it. They probably would not cover it fairly, but they would at least be there meaning that the security and the Corvallis PD would mind their Ps and Qs.

Asp, well said. Osterr, the answer is "Yes." Because the state has said that the State Board of High Education can exercise control over campuses and "adjacent property" (yes, it says that right in the laws) in the interest of the safety of the student body and faculty. So they CAN have your arrested for trespassing on a public campus.

you know what, I fully support our rights, and the right to carry and love it. I will be going to OSU next fall, fulltime, for two years, hopefully only two, and would i like to carry, YES, but, look at what is going on, most of you have no idea what a kid is feeling after studying 18 hours a day, and sometimes not sleeping, and then gets a test back that is bad, or a stupid parking ticket mult. times because the campus is retarded, and then you cant add a class you want and you have to call 20 people to get a override, or you have to take a summer class and get no break. unless you have a 4 year degree, and did well, you dont understand what I am talking about, i dont care what you do for work, it is set times and your done, dont give me any crap on this, my past career can top stress, physical output you name it on anything you are doing. the point im getting at is, IF YOU ARE AT COLLEGE AND DEVOTE 100% TO IT, you do have time to tap that blonde in chem class, but other than that, its 7 days a week and you are mentally drained, physically drained, emotionally drained. SO I think this way, I would love to have my gun, but do I want everyone that can carry and the ones who cant carrying. Even the ones who legally can carry, put under those conditions, are just as possible as the ones who dont have a permit to start shooting when they snap. Screw that, just because john, my lab partner is a straight shooter, no convictions, family guy, no drinking or drugs, and has a carry permit, is under these conditions, he could be the guy that shoots me at anytime.
If no guns are allowed, does that mean no guns will be carried, no. that means if a gun slide out of your shirt or into partial view someone While on campus wont be confused or afraid to tell someone or call the police. makes it alot easier to make sure this person is not going to kill me because he has been up for 4 days with little sleep and his brain just turns.

if anyone quotes me and says some crap about constitutional rights, phug you, and kizs my ***, you do not understand what the conditions of a college year is then, and I DO KNOW, CARE ABOUT MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, AND SUPPORTS GUNS AND CONCEAL CARRY, AND DO.

THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION BECAUSE I SEE THE POSITIVE OF IT, so if you disagree, that is fine, but please dont mislook on why I support this, just because "their taken our rights, and obama is goin to take our guns." this is 2012, go vote, and support your rights, but use you brain, if you have any left

Sounds to me like we need to hold an open carry event on campus. If you could get 50 people there to open carry, that would make a statement. I am sure local media would be willing to cover it. They probably would not cover it fairly, but they would at least be there meaning that the security and the Corvallis PD would mind their Ps and Qs.

read my post below yours, and ask yourself if this is a good idea, or are we going to just cause confusion and stir fear. just because it is our right doesnt mean you act stupid and dont ask yourself if this will do better harm than good. i shake my head because these are our kids and your neices and grand children, i dont want you walking around there open carrying, just because you have a gun and can own it, and even have a permit to carry, i still dont know you or trust you.
then you throw in the students seeing you that are all burnt out from class and studing tell 3 am, and they see your trying to prove a point, come on, go to the capital and do it, yes i think your idea is not a good one

Woaw, woaw, woaw... I'm 28, a current college student taking 16 credits at a college. I am ALSO going through flight training with helicopters with at least 5 flights a week, 3-6 hours per flight, AND studying ground to pass FAA written and oral tests, AND working part time. Don't go crying about how hard life is in college. I manage to work nearly 24/7 and not suddenly snap and open fire on people despite the fact that I've really been to war and seen all the real things you think are awesome in video games and movies. The real world is MUCH harder than college and if college is oh so much for you to handle, by all means quit and go be a bum. But don't try and spew this load of crap that life is oh so hard and everyone is going to snap and turn in to murderers. If that's the case then by the same logic all college students should be banned from driving, operating an electrical device while in a building with water, owning any sort of chemical, taking any Chemistry class, owning a sharp object of any kind, etc.

Yeah, college is so much more difficult than being on duty for weeks straight with no relief in a war zone, or working multiple jobs to support yourself and your family to eat and pay the mortgage...Readying yourself for that taxing final really is going to be the point that breaks so many people...Funny- 18-25 year olds carry loaded guns around all the time, for months on end, while exhausted with little relief if any, and they don't shoot each other up. These young adults are found in the military...

Woaw, woaw, woaw... I'm 28, a current college student taking 16 credits at a college. I am ALSO going through flight training with helicopters with at least 5 flights a week, 3-6 hours per flight, AND studying ground to pass FAA written and oral tests, AND working part time. Don't go crying about how hard life is in college. I manage to work nearly 24/7 and not suddenly snap and open fire on people despite the fact that I've really been to war and seen all the real things you think are awesome in video games and movies. The real world is MUCH harder than college and if college is oh so much for you to handle, by all means quit and go be a bum. But don't try and spew this load of crap that life is oh so hard and everyone is going to snap and turn in to murderers. If that's the case then by the same logic all college students should be banned from driving, operating an electrical device while in a building with water, owning any sort of chemical, taking any Chemistry class, owning a sharp object of any kind, etc.

Well said. If someone doesn't feel they should carry a weapon beside of stress, I'm all for it. Just don't use it as a reason to keep me from carrying. If someone is going to snap and shoot people, banning guns on campus won't stop them.

I was a college student in my mid twenties and trusted my judgement to carry a firearm on campus. I managed to work full time and carry a full credit load too.

you my friend are a idiot, im 32 years old, and have been to college twice now, a second degree, so spare me the How fricken easy and good you are and how you are the perfect person. you want to attack me, do it, if you want to discuss something, do it, or take another class for it since it seems you have enough time for it. I never once said, every student is going to snap and murder, or every student who has a carry permit, you must be tired from your schedule since you cant read and remember everything you just read. or you like to put words into others statments, there is a word for that, look it up college professional. if you want to attack me, do it, if you want to disagree, do it by explaining why you disagree, not by comparing yourself to the rest of the world and because you first judged who i was. yes the real world is harder. and yes i wish there was a jackass button for you. again, settle down and read things before you speak, words mean things and all you see is what you want to see and interpret. then you spew your idiot opinion. i dont want to take up anymore of your time since your average about 17 hour a day with school, work, studing, flight school, and flight lic. training. so better get back to work

Well said. If someone doesn't feel they should carry a weapon beside of stress, I'm all for it. Just don't use it as a reason to keep me from carrying. If someone is going to snap and shoot people, banning guns on campus won't stop them.

I was a college student in my mid twenties and trusted my judgement to carry a firearm on campus. I managed to work full time and carry a full credit load too.
i think both of you are missing the point, do you think these school shooting happen often, no, no one knows why the person does it, they just turn and do it, it can be anyone, anyone that has never been arrested before for anything, what does that say, anyone with a carry permit could be one of these people, Im not IMPLYING, but Im saying it could be, just as it could be a felon, a lunny, a women, a illegal, a retard, a what ever, but, if there is no guns allowed, it will lower the chance of someone carrying a gun and no one else responding to it at the initial point of pulling it out or the point of someone noticing it before hand, this is the point. and anyone of those listed here or before could all of a sudden decided to kill someone at a school with thousands there, so if 200 have a carry permit, odds are they are not even going to see or be there to do anything about it. think numbers, I carry a knife as well and can say i can kill anyone just as easy with a 4 inch columbia river as a xd, 1) cause I know if a attacker comes with out saying anything and I dont notice them, if i pulled a gun, odds are he can interfer with the path of the bullet, yet the knife, is going to cut him, and then i will cut him again in one of many spots where he or she is dead. maybe you have never seen a cut wound in the right spot, it sprays blood over 10 feet.
im trying to say, if no one is suppose to carry, that is a less risk in my mind, no matter who the previous carriers were

So, Minnesota ... what I'm seeing here is ... coming from a 29 year old college student and three service veteran ... you don't think people you don't like "ought to" carry. Only people you think "ought to."

Who made you the boss of determining who gets to carry?

also, drew and bike junkie> you two are 2 of how many millions of college students in the U.S. right now, now do the math, how many college students carry to school, I would bet a small percentage, so of that small percentage which you two would be included in, take your guns off campus and it reduces the chances to a very high level, not including non carrying others, so now if someone sees a gun, those are hopefully talked to or arrested and a shooting was stopped. all this rule is doing is trying to reduce a number of percentage so the next school shooting doesnt happen there. if you dont go to school there, personally i dont think you should even have a say. enroll there then protest it

So, Minnesota ... what I'm seeing here is ... coming from a 29 year old college student and three service veteran ... you don't think people you don't like "ought to" carry. Only people you think "ought to."

this is funny, you are asking if i have a personal disagretion towards who can carry and i am talking about a PLACE that I agree with should not allow anyone to carry at. explain to me if you are still confused, or what you are really thinking and maybe just didnt type it correctly

again, i said to someone else, if you cant read all of my post and not skim it or pick out what you want to argue about, you should not comment or continue doing what ever it was you were doing before, im 32, and i posted that a few post before, i think you have me confused with drew, but thats incorrect to because hes 28, so im not sure what you are reading or where you are reading from or if you can read, have a good night

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top