JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While not "free" the cotton balls coated in vasoline is probably a little easier to manage, they're all of uniform size, also cheap. I suppose if you needed something that would put up with more heat without making a mess you could use paraffin instead of vasoline.

We always keep a big bag of pitchwood with us in the truck and in storage.
A small chunk starts even when wet and burns hot.

I have made my own with a combination of shavings, cotton balls, parafin wax, in egg cartons. They work well, but I like the cotton strips and jeans thing for simplicity. In my GHB I keep a small tin of lighter fluid as well. Get that fire going, hose it down with that and you are cooking.

Pitchwood is fantastic, but it can be hard to find, I remember I discovered it quite by accident and it was like I had thrown a few gallons of diesel onto our nice quiet campfire.

Yep, only takes a small piece to start a fire, burns hot and pretty much smokeless. It lights even when wet.

That u tube was way to much trouble! Sawdust, egg carton (paper not foam), string wick and soak it all in wax! Burns long and hot! Little smoke. Just tear off an egg cup and light it. I'm actually using some my mom made pushing thirty years ago!

We use the vaseline on cotton balls too and it works great. We also use road flares when we go camping if there is a chance of rain as they will definitely dry out wet wood if ya get your fire stacked right. We also keep a package of these small "signal/emergency" flares by Orion that come in a two pack in the camping section at walmart in my ghb and our camping trunk. They are about 3-4" long so they are perfect for packing in a bag.

Take the lint from the dryer and put it in zip lock bags. Super ultra light for backpacking or whatever, you can compress a ton of the stuff in one bag.

My dad showed me a trick that works if you are in second growth find an old cedar stump, and chop in to until you get to dry wood. We were on an elk hunt and I was about 13. Cold, wet snow and blowing but we got the fire going and had the best toasted ham and cheese sammiches ever.

Brutus out.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR