Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Effect of 9mm Black Talon Autopsy

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by doobee8, Sep 18, 2015.

1. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's in Spanish but very graphic.

rick benjamin likes this.
  2. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

They do their intended job.
    To stop a bad guy from killing you or someone else.
    That is their purpose.

An excellent round. That is why police still use them. They just don't oxide them black and call them Ranger SXT Law Enforcement. Exact same round, just not the evil black color.
    They simply work !

Sgt Nambu, hker71, Slobray and 3 others like this.
  3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That probably hurt.. for a little while.

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Cool video, wish I knew spanish.. Was he wearing armor? If not, any HP would darn near do that.

Anyone seen the Lehigh defense HPs or solids?! Im curious to see if those would be banned in the future. :mad:

Pogue_Mahone likes this.
  5. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

It does what all the other decent JHP rounds do.

Nothing really special in that autopsy.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

But it's a Black Talon and probably killed his soul too. win!

7. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Leftists hate anything black. They want everything fluorescent pink :\/\/\/:mad:

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I want silver plated ammo, for the politicians of course:p

9. doobee8

Can you find me a really special autopsy video? It's pretty much the only one on youtube I could find. So I'd like to see more, and more interesting ones.

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sorry, I think the black helps!

Also sorry, I still have three boxes of them!!!:D

11. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

There would have been only half a body on the autopsy table if the Federale would have been using a plus P .45 ACP JHP!

:D
    Brutus out

Stomper likes this.
  12. Hedrin

Hedrin Portland area Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Can you believe the Black Talon round was mentioned in an episode of NCIS New Orleans. The autopsy doctor was horrified by them saying "We've been trying to get these outlawed for years!" What? Since the early 1990s when the round was discontinued? Sigh. Sloppy script writer doing their bare minimum of research.

doobee8 likes this.
  13. doobee8

Plus, is it realistic that an experienced ME would handle or be digging around in the body cavity for the bullet with just gloves? She was changing gloves because they talons had supposedly torn one. Shouldn't they be using surgical tools. to extract the foreign object? Sloppy writing indeed.

14. NavyBob

NavyBob michigan Active Member

Remembering the big controversy over Talons before they banned them as the big "Cop Killer". What a load of crap!

What I loved was Winchester releasing the SXT (Same Exact Thing) was even funnier.

Reminds me of Iron Butterfly releasing the song In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida when all of use kids knew it was "The the Garden of Eden"
    Just to get by the censorship of the day.

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Actually the Winchester 'Lawman' was the next generation of that round,without the teflon
    And no,it does not pale in comparison.It was the only round to spread open like it did creating such a vicious cutting wound channel. It made the bad guy quit thinking and living fast through lack of blood to the brain
    They quit making ammo that did that. Now everything is shock and ahh.It did what was necessary to 'stop the threat'.It was equally as deadly or more but it did it a different way

16. titsonritz

titsonritz has left the building. Well-Known Member

You mean SPEER LAWMAN®?
    http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/lawman.aspx

Regarding Black Talon, you are regurgitating BS internet/Hollywood hype. So unless you have more definitive proof I'll continue to rely on the analysis of Dr. Roberts:

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

17. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Mr. Brutus, I have the 230gr. .45ACP Win SXT +P in the pistol next to me right now. You never know when a 400-pound boar is going to come crashing through the door.

The objection to the Black Talon came first from ER docs, who said the sharp petals posed a risk to them, since they routinely probe wounds with gloved fingers and were afraid of contracting disease via punctures.

Dr. Martin Fackler wrote that the sharp petals of the Black Talon posed an advantage over most JHP's of the day because they penetrated by a cutting mechanism which was more efficient than the crushing/tearing mechanism by which other rounds worked. More expansion plus more penetration.

18. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Wow. So listening to that video that's pressure man impressive.

For what Spanish I know that was brutal!

Looks like the deer that get shot with a high power rifle.

Damn son! Get some...

Brutus57 likes this.
  19. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I still have 3 boxes of .45acp and a box of .308 rifle ammo. The box of .308 is the very same black box with same lettering but it is not called "Balck Talon". The bullet is a black hollow piont like the pistol rounds in stainless casings.

20. Sam Kinard

Sam Kinard Active Member

I use the Winchester Ranger .45acp 230gr. +P SXT and am very happy with performance. For me, I would only trade them for Hornady Critical Duty 220gr. +P Interlock or Federal 230gr. HST.

In a 9mm, I'll take the 147gr. HST every time, followed very closely by the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. +P Interlock.

In the end, today's bullet construction is amazing and bonded or homogenous projectiles work very well across the board from most all manufacturers in virtually any caliber.

Raidingtime and chemist like this.