JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They do their intended job.
To stop a bad guy from killing you or someone else.
That is their purpose.

An excellent round. That is why police still use them. They just don't oxide them black and call them Ranger SXT Law Enforcement. Exact same round, just not the evil black color.
They simply work !

Cool video, wish I knew spanish.. Was he wearing armor? If not, any HP would darn near do that.

Anyone seen the Lehigh defense HPs or solids?! Im curious to see if those would be banned in the future. :mad:

They do their intended job.
To stop a bad guy from killing you or someone else.
That is their purpose.

An excellent round. That is why police still use them. They just don't oxide them black and call them Ranger SXT Law Enforcement. Exact same round, just not the evil black color.
They simply work !

Sorry, I think the black helps!

Also sorry, I still have three boxes of them!!!:D

Can you believe the Black Talon round was mentioned in an episode of NCIS New Orleans. The autopsy doctor was horrified by them saying "We've been trying to get these outlawed for years!" What? Since the early 1990s when the round was discontinued? Sigh. Sloppy script writer doing their bare minimum of research.

Can you believe the Black Talon round was mentioned in an episode of NCIS New Orleans. The autopsy doctor was horrified by them saying "We've been trying to get these outlawed for years!" What? Since the early 1990s when the round was discontinued? Sigh. Sloppy script writer doing their bare minimum of research.
Plus, is it realistic that an experienced ME would handle or be digging around in the body cavity for the bullet with just gloves? She was changing gloves because they talons had supposedly torn one. Shouldn't they be using surgical tools. to extract the foreign object? Sloppy writing indeed.

Remembering the big controversy over Talons before they banned them as the big "Cop Killer". What a load of crap!

What I loved was Winchester releasing the SXT (Same Exact Thing) was even funnier.

Reminds me of Iron Butterfly releasing the song In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida when all of use kids knew it was "The the Garden of Eden"
Just to get by the censorship of the day.

Negative, the SXT is the next generation Black Talon there are differences in the geometry and a key change is the SXT is a bonded design which is a huge factor in maintaining structural integrity promoting superior penetration through intermediate barriers. Black Talon was top preforming ammo in its day but it pales in comparison to current offerings.
Actually the Winchester 'Lawman' was the next generation of that round,without the teflon
And no,it does not pale in comparison.It was the only round to spread open like it did creating such a vicious cutting wound channel. It made the bad guy quit thinking and living fast through lack of blood to the brain
They quit making ammo that did that. Now everything is shock and ahh.It did what was necessary to 'stop the threat'.It was equally as deadly or more but it did it a different way

Actually the Winchester 'Lawman' was the next generation of that round,without the teflon
And no,it does not pale in comparison.It was the only round to spread open like it did creating such a vicious cutting wound channel. It made the bad guy quit thinking and living fast through lack of blood to the brain
They quit making ammo that did that. Now everything is shock and ahh.It did what was necessary to 'stop the threat'.It was equally as deadly or more but it did it a different way

You mean SPEER LAWMAN®?
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/lawman.aspx

Regarding Black Talon, you are regurgitating BS internet/Hollywood hype. So unless you have more definitive proof I'll continue to rely on the analysis of Dr. Roberts:

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

Mr. Brutus, I have the 230gr. .45ACP Win SXT +P in the pistol next to me right now. You never know when a 400-pound boar is going to come crashing through the door.

The objection to the Black Talon came first from ER docs, who said the sharp petals posed a risk to them, since they routinely probe wounds with gloved fingers and were afraid of contracting disease via punctures.

Dr. Martin Fackler wrote that the sharp petals of the Black Talon posed an advantage over most JHP's of the day because they penetrated by a cutting mechanism which was more efficient than the crushing/tearing mechanism by which other rounds worked. More expansion plus more penetration.

Wow. So listening to that video that's pressure man impressive.

For what Spanish I know that was brutal!

Looks like the deer that get shot with a high power rifle.

Damn son! Get some...

Sorry, I think the black helps!

Also sorry, I still have three boxes of them!!!:D

I still have 3 boxes of .45acp and a box of .308 rifle ammo. The box of .308 is the very same black box with same lettering but it is not called "Balck Talon". The bullet is a black hollow piont like the pistol rounds in stainless casings.

I use the Winchester Ranger .45acp 230gr. +P SXT and am very happy with performance. For me, I would only trade them for Hornady Critical Duty 220gr. +P Interlock or Federal 230gr. HST.

In a 9mm, I'll take the 147gr. HST every time, followed very closely by the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. +P Interlock.

In the end, today's bullet construction is amazing and bonded or homogenous projectiles work very well across the board from most all manufacturers in virtually any caliber.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top