JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use the Winchester Ranger .45acp 230gr. +P SXT and am very happy with performance. For me, I would only trade them for Hornady Critical Duty 220gr. +P Interlock or Federal 230gr. HST.

In a 9mm, I'll take the 147gr. HST every time, followed very closely by the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. +P Interlock.

In the end, today's bullet construction is amazing and bonded or homogenous projectiles work very well across the board from most all manufacturers in virtually any caliber.

Where have you been able to find 147 gr HST? I've find sometimes at Sportsmans. Expensive but awesome round.

Where have you been able to find 147 gr HST? I've find sometimes at Sportsmans. Expensive but awesome round.
A few at Sportsman's in K. Falls, but most are from a supply built up over a few years from gun shows, the internet and deals with fellow shooters. I see Hydra-Shok everywhere, but the HST in 9x19 and .45acp are very hard to find.

Depending upon what you're doing, don't sell the 135 gr. +P Critical Duty load from Hornady. It is a wonderful round and available everywhere. The "standard pressure" load runs 100fps slower and is still wonderful if the +P is too much for you or your handgun.

I've also been trying the Sig Sauer 147gr. V-Crown and several loads from HPR using the Hornady XTP. So far I have been impressed with both, but not so far as to replace the HST and Critical Duty loads.

I'm generally firing these through a Browning Hi-Power, whatever that is worth.

A few at Sportsman's in K. Falls, but most are from a supply built up over a few years from gun shows, the internet and deals with fellow shooters. I see Hydra-Shok everywhere, but the HST in 9x19 and .45acp are very hard to find.

Depending upon what you're doing, don't sell the 135 gr. +P Critical Duty load from Hornady. It is a wonderful round and available everywhere. The "standard pressure" load runs 100fps slower and is still wonderful if the +P is too much for you or your handgun.

I've also been trying the Sig Sauer 147gr. V-Crown and several loads from HPR using the Hornady XTP. So far I have been impressed with both, but not so far as to replace the HST and Critical Duty loads.

I'm generally firing these through a Browning Hi-Power, whatever that is worth.

I've got HST 120ish grain 9mm low recoil in my Shield currently. I only have enough to fill the mags and to shoot another mag or two of it. I would like to get more but the stuff is expensive and hard to find.

Thanks for the info. I always keep my eyes open for it whenever I'm at a retailer.

It's in Spanish but very graphic.
YouTube Link
In all fairness, look at the shot placement. Upper left chest. We don't know the angle of the bullet but it is an almost perfect center-of-mass shot with a direct hit to the heart and one lung. Any decent hollowpoint from a service-caliber handgun (9mm, .38Special, .357, .40 or .45) hitting in that location is going to make a similar mess out of the bad guy's insides. The video doesn't really prove that the Black Talon is superior to any other round. I load my Glocks with your basic Remington 115 gr +P JHP's that can be bought at Cabela's for under $30 for a box of 50. At that price, I can afford to practice with them and know that they run 100% reliably with no feeding issues. Do they make the same sized hole in a block of Jello as a Black Talon? I don't know and I don't care. They hit where I aim them and they feed absolutely reliably in my guns and that is what matters the most to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads