JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can only hope so. I would love for GPS to out for a while. People may actually have to learn where the sun rises and sets besides their butt.

Last Edited:
A long time ago in a land far away...

When I was young hard charging E4 ...Airborne , Ranger and all that...
I was in the Reconnaissance Platoon of a Infantry regiment.

Where were out doing our thing ( lucky for us at the time it was only a field exercise ) when we were "breaking in" a fresh new 2nd Lieutenant.

Said Lieutenant as very much the stereotypical "Army's Most Deadly Weapon...A 2nd Lt armed with a map and compass. "
The Lieutenant did one better however....he couldn't read a map and compass and was relying on the then new tech called a "Magellan"...a large sized army issued gps....

After wandering / blundering about blind for a long while ...the First Sergeant called on the radio...chewed out the Lt...and then the red faced Lt. handed me the mic ...and said : "Top wants to speak to you. "
The First Sergeant asked if the Lt. Knew where he was....Since you can't swear over the radio I replied :
"Negative , he is Lima , LIma , Alpha , MIke , FoxTrot."
Radio code for Lost , Like , A Mother F@#*ker....

The First Sergeant than asked if I knew where we were and if so get us back to the maneuver area...to which I replied :
"Affirmative and Roger that...."

When we got back the 1stSergeant chewed out the Lt in a fashion that was legendary .

To make a long story short....
The following weekend , when back at the garrison....I got a knock on my door early on Saturday.
It was the LT. with a case of beer....He said : "This is yours if....You can teach me to read a map and compass."
A fun Saturday was spent on the compass course...but he did learn.....:D
Andy

A long time ago in a land far away...

When I was young hard charging E4 ...Airborne , Ranger and all that...
I was in the Reconnaissance Platoon of a Infantry regiment.

Where were out doing our thing ( lucky for us at the time it was only a field exercise ) when we were "breaking in" a fresh new 2nd Lieutenant.

Said Lieutenant as very much the stereotypical "Army's Most Deadly Weapon...A 2nd Lt armed with a map and compass. "
The Lieutenant did one better however....he couldn't read a map and compass and was relying on the then new tech called a "Magellan"...a large sized army issued gps....

After wandering / blundering about blind for a long while ...the First Sergeant called on the radio...chewed out the Lt...and then the red faced Lt. handed me the mic ...and said : "Top wants to speak to you. "
The First Sergeant asked if the Lt. Knew where he was....Since you can't swear over the radio I replied :
"Negative , he is Lima , LIma , Alpha , MIke , FoxTrot."
Radio code for Lost , Like , A Mother F@#*ker....

The First Sergeant than asked if I knew where we were and if so get us back to the maneuver area...to which I replied :
"Affirmative and Roger that...."

When we got back the 1stSergeant chewed out the Lt in a fashion that was legendary .

To make a long story short....
The following weekend , when back at the garrison....I got a knock on my door early on Saturday.
It was the LT. with a case of beer....He said : "This is yours if....You can teach me to read a map and compass."
A fun Saturday was spent on the compass course...but he did learn.....:D
Andy

Our glorious butter bar had us lost in an undisclosed jungle south of our (supposed) border for the better part of a month. In all fairness it was pre GPS tech under triple canopy, and radio silence was mandatory so we couldn't call out for some triangulation .

Feeling (and being) hopelessly lost in a hostile alien place is THE worst feeling one can have, but it made us hard and not "too" picky about food…. and we still got the job done.

I still draw on that experience in my (now) older age, that's a major reason why I'm such a smarta$$. ;)

You don't know peace 'till you've had suffering.

Last Edited:
For those who need one, walk into any DMV in Oregon and you can get a free paper road map of the state. They are in the same shelf that all of the forms are kept. Your taxes and DMV fees paid for it so go and grab one or several.

This is one area where I am fortunate. I have always been able to orient myself to the cardinal directions if I have any sunlight, and am able to keep track of my changes in direction even in the dark.

Being able to read a map and use a compass are the icing on the cake.

My wife is kind of the opposite, and giving her directions is an exercise in detail because of the need to describe landmarks. She has no concept of cardinal directions.

I was a scout for a anti tank company and had a screwy louie call me back to the company parked in the middle of the road. He had his map on the hood of his jeep not even oriented and asked me to show him where he was. I turned his map the right way and said "well sir, by my best reckoning we are right".. and he grabed my finger and put it on the map about 2 miles from where we were. He did this 3 times finally I said "if I'm not giving you the answer you want you need to ask someone else" and got back in my jeep. Somewhere in departure I must have hit a bump or something because my radio was off frequency by a couple clicks after that.

This is one area where I am fortunate. I have always been able to orient myself to the cardinal directions if I have any sunlight, and am able to keep track of my changes in direction even in the dark.

Being able to read a map and use a compass are the icing on the cake.

My wife is kind of the opposite, and giving her directions is an exercise in detail because of the need to describe landmarks. She has no concept of cardinal directions.
Ha!

My wife is intelligent and oriented to cardinal directions, BUT, I have a view of the Columbia River, and according to my wife, North is toward the river. We live in a significant bend in the river, so what she thinks is north is really WNW, but after nearly two decades of trying I just give up!

Going to be funny as hell watching millenials driving around in circles helplessly lost. I have maps and thomas guides, they still work without batteries, satellites, or tech support. Does anyone even study orienteering anymore? I have never been lost in my life, only momentarily bewildered. I learned simple givens when I was a boy scout.
1- when in doubt follow the water, civilization has been tied to waterways, well, forever.
2- no waterways? Downhill is a good choice.
3- flat country with no water? Head north. It works. If you can't find north, oh well I suppose Darwin's survival of the fittest comes into play then. So sad.
Using those 3 things eventually you will find someone who will tell you where the heck you are.
Another handy item to have would be a deck of playing cards. If lost simply start a game of solitaire and just ask the first person to lean over your shoulder to critique your play for directions. :D

About maps…
I couldn't find mine after I move. So were I can buy maps for continental US and specifically WA state? Thanks a lot
Metsker Maps was always the "go to" map place. I think they're still in the Seattle area. I like the DeLorme state atlases for general use, but the best detailed topo maps are for the USFS/BLM wildland firefighters. Unfortunately, those aren't for sale.

Another impact of destroying GPS satellites (and possible one of the worst ones) is an abrupt interruption of synchronized time on a ton of computers/servers worldwide. Most NTP (Network Time Protocol) servers that I know of use a GPS time signal, besides places that are well equipped enough to have their own atomic clocks, but those also sometimes upload their time to GPS to serve other systems.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top