JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
China has anti-sat capabilities also.

We have a arsenal of GPS dependant weapons. What whould happen to our millitary capability if GPS went away.
Do we have some sort of backup via AWACS or something to do an approximate position? Not the greatest accuracy but better than nothing.

Do you own stock in Alcoa or Reynolds? Did the cold war engrain that famous saying in your head "The Russians are coming" ? 🤣
You sure spend a ton of time on here fearmongering. However, I suspect you're old enough
to have a glove box full of Auto Club maps, maybe you own a Thomas Guide, or a Rand McNally road atlas. If Russia ever got around to
shooting satellites out of low earth orbit would you even be driving or reliant on transportation? I'm just wanting to help you quell your (what if) fears
on the topic.

Do we have some sort of backup via AWACS or something to do an approximate position? Not the greatest accuracy but better than nothing.
Would help the aircraft, but not the missles / smart bombs / drones unless they have some other built in mappimg capability.

If I was planning for a major China or Russin conflict, I'd have had a second and third level system in place. I'd assume that the first move by China would be "destroy all their satellites".

:)
Elder Test.
robot.jpeg

new tech would replace gps pretty quick. the only reason new tech hasnt yet is because gps is so prolific and effective there isnt any urgency. out of the several technologies in development MAAN looks to be the eventual winner (even if it takes longer to develop), as it simply reads the magnetic environment around you and keeps track of your position within it - no dependence on stars, audio or radio signals, etc... totally self sufficient.

new tech would replace gps pretty quick. the only reason new tech hasnt yet is because gps is so prolific and effective there isnt any urgency. out of the several technologies in development MAAN looks to be the eventual winner (even if it takes longer to develop), as it simply reads the magnetic environment around you and keeps track of your position within it - no dependence on stars, audio or radio signals, etc... totally self sufficient.
Until the Earth's magnetic field reverses its polarity :rolleyes: I think the Magnetic North pole has been moving faster lately in the last few years than before?

Until the Earth's magnetic field reverses its polarity :rolleyes: I think the Magnetic North pole has been moving faster lately in the last few years than before?
MAAN doesnt use the earths magnetic field, it uses magnetic anomalies in the terrain around you

and in that, i suppose its even more accurate and reliable than a map and compass... given that magnetic inclination changes a lot and we rely on updates from an authority to know by how much

just reading the position of magnetic anomalies around you to maintain coordinates is about as dependable as you can get

Last Edited:
Assuming pilots still can navigate "the old way" probably no impact on this urban dweller: I learned to drive by delivering pizza and am a child of the 80's. I do like having an easy unlimited supply of street maps so I'd still use Google Maps to give me directions to places, but without GPS. In fact I rarely use it now, and only use GPS if I don't want to pay attention. Frankly, I think Putin's bluffing. Russia is dangerous and have some real technological capabilities and knowledge, but killing GPS would take coordinated strikes on multiple teeny tiny satelites floating in orbit all around the globe. I really doubt they have the capability to successfully make good on this threat. I'm betting that, at best, they might be able to cripple GPS in a limited area for a limited duration. At the same time it'd be a huge risk in any conflict. If one German or French passenger plane went down during any such GPS outage it'd probably mean war with a much richer EU, regardless of Natural gas supply.

Russia is dangerous and have some real technological capabilities and knowledge, but killing GPS would take coordinated strikes on multiple teeny tiny satelites floating in orbit all around the globe. I really doubt they have the capability to successfully make good on this threat. I'm betting that, at best, they might be able to cripple GPS in a limited area for a limited duration. At the same time it'd be a huge risk in any conflict. If one German or French passenger plane went down during any such GPS outage it'd probably mean war with a much richer EU, regardless of Natural gas supply.
yea. they'd have a hard time hitting our satellites. not to say they for sure couldnt, but it wouldnt be a simple thing. theres a very big difference between knocking down a large, low earth orbit satellite in a static orbit, and actually striking maneuverable satellites out there at gps distance ... our satellites can likely outrun any incoming missiles. just by speeding up or slowing down, they can change orbit altitude and speed, and can also adjust latitude. and pretty fast. missiles in space are not like missiles in the air. they cant exactly chase maneuvering satellites around - course correction in orbit, in a vacuum, takes a LOT of maths and a lot of distance... and a lot of fuel.

A spherical warhead that looks similar to a naval mine, with a payload of hundreds of smaller high explosive rounds with contact fuzes that can effectively make a spherical cloud of explosives to get a better chance of hitting satellites... this would be basically a space flak missile. Could simplify and have the rounds be solid tungsten if not explosive, and use a nuclear explosion or something close to propel the rods at much higher speeds than in atmosphere.

Once satellites are targeted - and even taken out - Kessler predictions take over...
Mutual Assured Destruction for everyone. Just depends on who wants to start and if it's worth revisiting the stone age.

edit. Lol. Repeat...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top