JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Overheard at many a gun shop..and even a muzzle loading club :
Lead round ball used in a muzzle loading rifle ain't good for hunting...

Hmmm....
So Daniel Boone and Kit Carson starved to death...? :D

I understand that on paper , black powder and round ball doesn't seem to compare well to a modern cartridge rifle
Luckily for me, the game animals don't read ballistic charts.

I have taken the following all with one shot , using 80 -100 grains of 2F black powder a .15 patch and a .530 round ball :
Grouse...
Coyote...
Antelope...
Deer...
Elk...
And Black Bear...

Like any other rifle....learn the load your rifle likes....learn to shoot it well under hunting conditions...
Stick with your limitations as a shooter and a hunter....and it will work for you.
Andy

Hmmm....

I understand that on paper , black powder and round ball doesn't seem to compare well to a modern cartridge rifle

I have taken the following all with one shot , using 80 -100 grains of 2F black powder a .15 patch and a .530 round ball :
Grouse...
Coyote...
Antelope...
Deer...
Elk...
And Black Bear...

Like any other rifle....learn the load your rifle likes....learn to shoot it well under hunting conditions...
Stick with your limitations as a shooter and a hunter....and it will work for you.
Andy
I got told you can't hunt with .45 ACP. How many people hunted with .45 Long Colt, back when it was a blackpowder round? And .45 ACP was supposed to be similar in performance. :confused:

I got told you can't hunt with .45 ACP. How many people hunted with .45 Long Colt, back when it was a blackpowder round? And .45 ACP was supposed to be similar in performance. :confused:
.45ACP is a one hit man stopper but bounces off blacktail hides. Makes sense if you don't think about it

Hmmm....

Grouse...
Coyote...
Antelope...
Deer...
Elk...
And Black Bear...

Andy
I'm guessing lead ball ammo has one of the highest body counts of any ammunition throughout history. Be it beast or man.

It lasted from the 1400s through the mid to late 1800s. So 400 years or so.

I'm guessing lead ball ammo has one of the highest body counts of any ammunition throughout history. Be it beast or man.

It lasted from the 1400s through the mid to late 1800s. So 400 years or so.
I mean, sure..... how many people have plain old rocks killed, though? Like from 50k BC or whatever to earlier today....

Rocks are up there with sticks. Neither of which make good gun ammunition though.
1697947682299.png
You youngins and your music :mad:

Lady that worked at a gun shop in Gresham tried to sell me a NAA Black Widow as "new". It was the display model and the rubber grips were worn and covered in fingernail scratches. She lied to me n' said: "It is NEW!!" I said, no it's the display model look at all the wear on the grips.

I asked for a discount n' she only offered 2% off lol No thanks, lady.

1697948148517.png
1697949400966.png
1697949319150.png

Last Edited:
Dumbest thing I've heard in a gun shop was at coat of arms when I was receiving a gunbroker shipped gun.

I mentioned to the clerk I was originally from Illinois when another customer mentioned he was glad he was no longer in Illinois. The clerk asked him if he used to lived there too.

The guy says "well I was there for 8 years in a super max prison" 😆

The clerk and I shared a WTF look with each other as the guy said that nonchalantly then strolled out the shop. Clerk was like "what in the heck do you have to do to get sent to a federal super max?"

I remember reading about D. Bone That when captured by one of the tribes they had enough respect for him that they let him live and hunt, but counted his shots. Unbenown to them Bone would cut the balls in half and save powder and made his escape.

* May be BS but I remember reading it. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
A clerk at a *very* reputable gun store in Vancouver washington told me that a) I can't carry a standard capacity magazine due to 1240 (wut?), b) told me that I'm not allowed to sell my AR to an ffl in OR or ID (wut?) And c) I'm not allowed to bring my 30 round magazines up to Larch anymore for target practice.

LOL

Not gonna state any names but it did rhyme with porting pystems

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews