JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I'm looking over the counter at some AK pattern rifle on the wall, GunBro behind the counter says, "Someone armed with that would wipe the floor with anyone armed with a 5.56 rifle in a firefight, guaranteed."

I was too dumbfounded to do anything other than leave. I wish I had asked him to explain how I was standing there since I was, at the time, only a few years removed from being in that exact position with an M16 in Iraq.

I don't mind specifying that this was US Guns on Barbur because that shop is gone now.

While I was looking for a part-time position behind a gun counter at a sporting goods chain store. I was asked if 300 Winchester Magnum and 300 Weatherby Magnum were the SAME ammunition. I replied no they are NOT the same and they are NOT interchangeable. Would I sell a client a box of ammunition if the client did not know whether the gun was 300 Weatherby or 300 Winchester? I replied, NO. Well, perviously to my employment a client had asked for 300 caliber rifle ammo. The salesperson at this sporting goods chain store sold him 300 Weatherby Magnum ammunition. Evidently It was not the right ammunition which caused severe injury to the client and an out of court settlement. The more you know....

While I was looking for a part-time position behind a gun counter at a sporting goods chain store. I was asked if 300 Winchester Magnum and 300 Weatherby Magnum were the SAME ammunition. I replied no they are NOT the same and they are NOT interchangeable. Would I sell a client a box of ammunition if the client did not know whether the gun was 300 Weatherby or 300 Winchester? I replied, NO. Well, perviously to my employment a client had asked for 300 caliber rifle ammo. The salesperson at this sporting goods chain store sold him 300 Weatherby Magnum ammunition. Evidently It was not the right ammunition which caused severe injury to the client and an out of court settlement. The more you know....
I'd like to know the story behind this.
Years ago I picked up a 300 Win Mag case that had a really short neck and a "funny" shoulder That "funny" shoulder was the Weatherby shoulder, and the neck was short cuz the case isn't as long as a 300 Weatherby case. Sure would have had a really long freebore that way, but no other issues. There's no way a Weatherby case would chamber in a Winchester chamber.

During peak covid panic I popped into my LGS. Place was busy but they limited the amount of people in the store at any given time so not crowded. Some dumb bubblegum looking at a display pistol decided I would be a good thing to point the gun at and dry fire (happened so fast the employee helping him couldn't stop him). When the employee popped off about it the guy responded "Its unloaded its fine". To say the least he was denied service that day and I haven't seen him in there since.

Fortunately this thread is for "Dumbest things you've heard at the gun store" and not for "Dumbest things you've SAID at the gun store"…
Fair is fair.

I once asked if they a "spreader choke" for a shotgun to widen the pattern without shortening the barrel. I was young, dumb, and full of... ignorance. I don't remember where I had heard of them or how I thought it would work.

To the clerk's credit at Keith's, they looked at me sideways for only a moment before saying, "Uh... I don't think I've heard of that before. Can you tell me more about the shotgun you have and what you want it to do?"

Which I think is the best possible response to such a stupid question.

As I was bending over to get a pistol out of the case for a customer to look at I heard "What's this you have stuck back here?" followed by a tug at my belt. :confused:

It was a 1911 and I was happy to show it to him but not in the way he expected. :mad: Once everyone else joined the party the owner patted him down, asked him WTF he was thinking and banned him from the store

Fair is fair.

I once asked if they a "spreader choke" for a shotgun to widen the pattern without shortening the barrel. I was young, dumb, and full of... ignorance. I don't remember where I had heard of them or how I thought it would work.

To the clerk's credit at Keith's, they looked at me sideways for only a moment before saying, "Uh... I don't think I've heard of that before. Can you tell me more about the shotgun you have and what you want it to do?"

Which I think is the best possible response to such a stupid question.
I think this is what you were looking for. :)

2-small-sledge-hammer-ezume-images.jpg

I'd like to know the story behind this.
Years ago I picked up a 300 Win Mag case that had a really short neck and a "funny" shoulder That "funny" shoulder was the Weatherby shoulder, and the neck was short cuz the case isn't as long as a 300 Weatherby case. Sure would have had a really long freebore that way, but no other issues. There's no way a Weatherby case would chamber in a Winchester chamber.
Just repeating what I heard.... I've never tried it. I have seen some empty's of 300 Winchester that had run thru a 300 Weatherby. I was surprised the brass stretched so far.

As I was bending over to get a pistol out of the case for a customer to look at I heard "What's this you have stuck back here?" followed by a tug at my belt. :confused:

It was a 1911 and I was happy to show it to him but not in the way he expected. :mad: Once everyone else joined the party the owner patted him down, asked him WTF he was thinking and banned him from the store
Patted him down? First off I'd never do something so stupid as to tug on someone's gun belt just for the fact that I don't make a point of touching other people, but I certainly wouldn't let the owner pat me down, I would simply leave the store if I was asked to do so.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads